Vastey
    Vastey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1596

Help me with footbal statitics, please.

Hi!
    Please, explain what does it mean:
    Team1 offense -- 310.1 Yards
    Team2 defense -- 307.1 Yards.
    Does it mean Team1 offense a little better than Team2 defense, or Team2 defense a little better than Team1 offense?
    I'm new in football, help please. I can guess only about it, but want know it.

Slate
    Slate's Avatar Become A Pro!

look almost even to me

Vastey

Well...
    Let's try this way:
    for defense Yards/Attempt = 5.7.
    Does it mean that the team average allowing 5.7 yards per attempt? Or it means something else?

mgcolby
    mgcolby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 498

Quote Originally Posted by Vastey View Post
    Well...
    Let's try this way:
    for defense Yards/Attempt = 5.7.
    Does it mean that the team average allowing 5.7 yards per attempt? Or it means something else?
    Yes, on defense YPA are based on plays against the defense or "allowed". On offense YPA is based on plays made by the offense or "Gained".

But be cautious stats lie in the NFL. You have to take the majority of them with a grain of salt. The stats that matter the most outside of W's and L's is PPG, and even those don't tell the truth on the surface.

Pick 6's go against the defense for Points allowed and favor the offense when it comes to Points scored. Just one example. You also have to take in garbage time points, yards etc allowed when the team up big, goes into prevent mode on defense and run mode on offense. See Denver/KC game for inflated stats. If you saw Cassel's numbers without knowing the score or seeing the game you would have thought KC destroyed Denver, when in fact the opposite was true.
    Points Awarded:

Vastey gave mgcolby 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Vastey

mgcolby, thank you very much! It is really helpful.