SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Miami's GM SLIPS UP and hints #1 pick will be on defense

Watch for yourself.

17 sec mark. He almost turned a different color when he realized what he said.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Report documenting this

Hilarious.

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/500530.html
    He wasn't here to talk strategy. So, please, no questions about which player the Dolphins might select with the top overall pick in next week's NFL Draft.

Then again, maybe nobody even needed to ask.

In a classic and comedic moment during a 25-minute news conference Thursday, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland made an unintended slip-up that caused quite a debate about whether he had just accidentally revealed some seriously secretive information.

The question was innocent, an inquiry about how Ireland views a player's accomplishments in college compared with his upside in the future.

''Of course I want guys who have great upside -- this is the first pick in the draft,'' Ireland said. ``This guy is going to be, you hope he's a pillar of your defense for a long time. Of course you hope he's going to have upside. The economics to me . . .''

Ireland stopped mid-sentence, looking over at two reporters who were smiling about what they thought they just heard. Ireland gave the reporters a curious smirk of his own.

''Defense?'' one of the reporters said.

''What's that?'' Ireland responded. ``What did I say?''

''Pillar of your defense?'' someone else said.

The laughter in the room escalated as Ireland tried to rebound.

''Pillar of your defense, your offense, your team,'' Ireland said, as even he couldn't help but laugh at his own wording. ``That's a Freudian slip.''

All jokes aside, the moment quickly heated up sports radio and Internet message boards as they began debating the deeper meaning of Ireland's words."

thegreatdiatchi
    thegreatdiatchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm now convinced that either Chris Long or Vernon Ghoulston is going with the #1 pick. We will see what happens but this might be great news for KC if Jake Long slips to #5.

old threads
    old threads's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trading it down is the best thing to do now if you have the #1 pick since a team like the Fins could really add more to their team quicker with 2 veterans and a lower 1st rounder. I would trade it down.