SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jets sign TE Bubba Franks

Continuing their trend of signing size, the Jets have acquired a tight end named Bubba.

Bubba Franks, a three-time Pro Bowl selection whose last few seasons were disrupted by injuries, has agreed to a free-agent contract with the Jets. He was cut by the Packers last month. The Jets had been looking for a blocking backup for Chris Baker and were in discussions with restricted free agent Ben Utecht last week. When Utecht, formerly of the Colts, signed an offer sheet from the Bengals, the Jets focused on and lured Franks.

Franks (6-6, 265) caught at least 30 passes in each of his first five years with the Packers, in which he played in every game. Last year, though, he played in only eight games because of a knee injury and caught 18 passes for 132 yards and three touchdowns.
    Source
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-27-15 at 10:06 AM. Reason: image does not exist

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Bubba is mostly done as a proper #1 TE - but he can still block very well and is highly under-rated at doing so (he was always in the shadow of Jim Kleinsauser in that division). He has dropped weight to be quicker, but he really isn't a threat as a receiver and never really was. He was more a product of playing with a special QB than being a vertical threat - he never was. He just found a spot to sit down and had to catch the ball, which he did 'ok'.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Bubba never really lived up to being a #1 pick. He dropped so many balls, it was maddening. I never thought he was a great blocking TE, maybe average. He wasn't a vertical threat, but that's a lot to expect from a TE, even a first rounder. Overall, I'd probably give him a C- for his career. He always seemed to drop the ball in the clutch.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jets will sign anyone at this point, taking any and all leftovers and hoping it fits. They've made some decent moves, maybe a bit too pricey but they are tired of losing and I can understand wanting to be active in free agency. Their draft will be interesting. They still won't win 10 games next year.

thegreatdiatchi
    thegreatdiatchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the Jet's defense will be stronger next year and overall they will be improved but I doubt they will make the playoffs.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I hope he does well in NY and stays healthy. It was maddening to be spoiled by Chewie and Keith Jackson and then having Bubba step in. He was given a lot of rope and really Brett made him what he was.

mandy
    mandy's Avatar Become A Pro!

You Can Have -um