bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Titans fire Norm Chow

I think this was a very dumb move on the Titians part. This guy will end up back in the college ranks as a head coach, and will excel big time at it too!

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow on Tuesday after a season of struggling to score points and reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the dismissal in a short statement. Chow, who had been on staff for three years, and other Titans officials did not immediately return telephone messages left by The Associated Press.

But Fisher said the day after his Titans (10-6) lost an AFC wild-card game to San Diego 17-6 that improving the offense was his top priority this offseason. They ranked 21st overall in total offense and became the first team with only nine touchdown passes to reach the playoffs in a 16-game season.

After a week of evaluating the team, Fisher told Chow he would not be retained as offensive coordinator.

"I appreciate all of the hard work and contributions he made to the organization during his time here, but I have decided to go in a different direction and will start the process of finding a new offensive coordinator," Fisher said in the statement.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported the firing.

Fisher lured Chow from the same post at USC to the NFL in 2005.

Chow, 61, told The Tennessean he was disappointed and didn't see the firing coming. He said he thought he could help develop Vince Young, who threw nearly twice as many interceptions as touchdowns this season.

"Obviously, Jeff didn't think that I could. I thought I was. That's the thing. I don't know ... but it's going to take some patience," Chow told the newspaper.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Fisher found the right guy to develop McNair so I think Vince Young is safe in his hands.

sjelveh
    sjelveh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don’t agree with it either, too be honest I think him and Vince young did not get along

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Yeah - Chow was chewing out Vince too much.... That earned him a pink slip.

IMO, HORRIBLE move. Chow's offensive gameplanning has been top 5 the past couple of seasons.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I don't get it either, Dan.

It was obvious that VY was going to be a work in progress in the NFL - didn't play in a pro-style offense in college, had/has some mechanics issues with his throwing motion, etc. He took the league by storm as a rookie - largely with his mobility and the ability to make plays with his legs, not his arm.

The league had the entire off season to break down the film and adjust to VY - and they did. When you combine that with the fact that the Titans aren't exactly loaded with playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, a second year slump seemed pretty much inevitable to me.

Now, it will be up to VY and the Titans to make the next adjustment. IMO, they could help him best by getting a few more playmakers on the offense.
    Last edited by Doc JS; 01-15-08 at 07:23 PM.

ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chow has been trying to get a HC job on the 1-A college level for years, but no luck yet.

Odd, but I hardly think it's "racism." Chow may have a diffident personality, that turns off most Athletic Directors.

But his resume is impressive: he made winners out of QBs at BYU when he worked under Lavell Edwards.

He turned loser Carson Palmer into a winner, and a Heisman winner too,if memory serves.

He then went to NC State and shaped Phil Rivers into a top NFL QB pick.

There is no question that during the draft a few years back he was pushing for Tennessee to draft Matt Leinart (who we all recall dropped from a projected # 1 or 2 down to a 10).

Leinart was his project at USC, and he figured he had more upside than Vince Young. But Titan owner wanted VY.

Some Hard Times college team should take a chance on Chow, as HC. Cripes, could teams like Duke, Buffalo, Syracuse, Utah St etc etc do worse? Give the guy a shot, jerks!

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Get the man some receivers!!!!