Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Eli Manning's last name was Smith...

He would be on the bench or out of the league all-together. He's no Peyton and never ever will be.
    Last edited by Illusion; 11-28-07 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, I think it goes without saying that he will never be a Peyton. But let's not be too hard on him. He's the same guy who led them to six straight victories, including a few on the road. Yeah I know, the strength of schedule wasn't very convincing, but as we saw with him last week it really doesn't matter who you're playing because you can still throw the game away.

Let's see what he does to end the year up, I will say this he still makes the bonehead throws here and there but he's improved fundamentally. I also would rather have him playing for me than Phillip Rivers.

Destroyer
    Destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Eli and the G-men are entertaining to watch. It's a train wreck waiting to happen. LOL. Eli should focus more on his throwing mechanics. A majority of his passes during the Vikings game were wobbly and lacked velocity.

Hopefully, last week's game was an aberration and he will display a better performance against the Bears this upcoming weekend.

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

didn't peyton have 5 int's one game this year? eli still looks boyishly young and i think that leads to less respect in the football community

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Nobody says he's like Peyton, but there are a lot of bad QB's in the league right now. Peyton is near the middle of the pack. he gets more attention because of his last name.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by idontlikerocks View Post
    didn't peyton have 5 int's one game this year? eli still looks boyishly young and i think that leads to less respect in the football community
    When your pops comes in and declares who you will play for and who can't draft you, you better be the man when you get on the field.

harsh506
    harsh506's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Rollins08 View Post
    Nobody says he's like Peyton, but there are a lot of bad QB's in the league right now. Peyton is near the middle of the pack. he gets more attention because of his last name.
    I wouldnt classify him as "middle of the pack". Hes having 1 bad year, yet his teams still in first. He is still possibly the best QB in the league talent wise. But people have to remember he is doing this without his #1 Marvin. I like Brady, but what would he do without Randy? Cant throw to welker all day

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Peyton's near the middle of the pack? So he's led his team to a 9-2 start, including coming back from a 23-0 deficit with receivers he's barely practiced with, and losing simply because his kicker can't nail a 25 yard field goal, but he's "middle of the pack"?

So I'm guessing you wouldn't care if it was Rothelisberger or Romo on your team instead of Manning? They can read defenses just as well, because he's thrown too many interceptions right?

Manning and Brady are still the absolute best quarterbacks in this league, and if you tell me there's somebody else you'd rather be playing for you right now you're just not telling the truth.

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Eli has the tools to be great

His arm strength is never questioned, its just whats between the ears that is lacking something

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

hey my team's qb's last name is smith and i'd trade him in a SECOND for eli!!! eli's not a top 5 qb but he's a pretty decent starter, maybe a little overpaid but when it comes to evaluating qbs you might as well leave the salary out of it...after all of the first rnd busts if you get a decent 3 or so yrs outta your draft pick then all's fair imo.

Destroyer
    Destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollins08 View Post

Sorry Rollins08, I disagree. Peyton is a top tier QB. He's a talented QB and no where near the middle of the pack. Peyton is no fluke, he's the real deal.

Mr Charles 76
    Mr Charles 76's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ely is grossly overrated because of his pedigree. He should only be a starter during a rebuilding year while you are seeking his replacement.

I have said it for years:

"If Ely doesn't have a brother, he doesn't have a job. Period."

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I heard Eli compared to Rex on a radio show earlier this week. After a game like that against Minnesota, it's tough to argue. lmao. It should be an interesting game of Eli v.s. Rex this weekend.

I never thought Eli was worth giving up two #1 draft picks, both near the top of the draft. Chargers definitely got the best of that trade, IMHO, and it was never in doubt to this point.

I still like Eli, though. He just had a terrible game. At worst, you've gotta put him about on par with Rivers. I know that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, but Eli's really gotta work on his leadership skills before he can really be considered in the top one-third of starting QBs in the league. Some 1st year NFL starters this year seem to have a lot more leadership than Eli. Even a guy like Romo who's got half the starts that Eli's got shows decent leadership. C'mon Eli, grow a pair.

Mr Charles 76
    Mr Charles 76's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I heard Eli compared to Rex on a radio show earlier this week. After a game like that against Minnesota, it's tough to argue. lmao........

It should be an interesting game of Eli v.s. Rex this weekend.....

At worst, you've gotta put him about on par with Rivers.......

Even a guy like Romo who's got half the starts that Eli's got shows decent leadership. C'mon Eli, grow a pair.

I love this post. I think you are dead on. Eli is either a Rex or Phillip Rivers. This weeks game will definitely be an interesting one, even if it will only serve to determine who sucks more. I say Eli wins this game which makes him bette than Rex at least. (at very least is more like it)

As for you Romo comparison...... C'mon! You don't really put them in the same class do you? Since his first start with Dallas (21 games ago) he has only lost 5. That's 16-5 for a win pct of 76.19%. Plus he is doing better this year than he did last so if you drop last season he is at around 90%.

I won't embarrass the Eli fans by quoting his stats but really now..... Do you seriously believe Eli belongs in Romo's Class. Romo is at least in the top 5 and above Peyton when you look at the stats.

Check for yourself.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Dude, if you're going to use stats to make a case for Romo being better than Peyton, you're using some pretty fancy stats and probably smoking some mighty fine green. Stats can be misleading. That's the first rule of sports handicapping.

As for Romo... Yeah, he's got a nice little run going, but that can stop quick if T.O. gets injured or his O-line starts having injuries. Romo's got things going his way right now, but that can change in a heartbeat. I still like Romo above Rivers, Eli, Rex, etc, but it's closer than you think. Romo is plain and simply on a better team as far as talent, coaching, chemistry, etc. Put Romo in Chicago, and he becomes much more mediocre.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

Eli has got to be the most inconsistent QB in the NFL.