bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Goodell says NFL to look into playing Super Bowl in London

Did you guys catch this story today.

I think this would be one of the dumbest Ideas i've ever seen if it actually happens. The only football they care about over there is soccer.

Goodell says NFL to look into playing Super Bowl in London

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with you. This is an American sport and lets keep it here in America. This aint the UFC! I like Goodell but that will change if he keeps up this crap.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Did you guys catch this story today.

I think this would be one of the dumbest Ideas i've ever seen if it actually happens. The only football they care about over there is soccer.
    It will never happen. Have you ever been to London in February? The weather is worst than Seattle. It will be a mudbowl.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

They are just looking to change the topic from Michael Vick for a while....

STEELCURTAIN3288
    STEELCURTAIN3288's Avatar Become A Pro!

That Is Bs No Way They Can Do That Screw That Whats A Matter Not Enough Money Being Made Already Come On!!!!

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Super Bowl belongs in the US, it is the biggest of all games, and for crying out loud it is American football! The occasional game in London or wherever they're planning on implementing for regular seasons, whatever make the $$, but don't do that with the Super Bowl!!!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is nothing but a fad. The NBA and MLB are trying to reach out to the international community. Anything for a buck I guess.

Oh yeah, didn't NFL Europe fail? I rest my case.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    The NBA and MLB are trying to reach out to the international community. Anything for a buck I guess.
    Actually the NHL opened their season overseas this year, and will open it in Prague next year when the Sens play Pitt.

The bottom line is it's all about money to these sports leagues, but still where is the loyalty to their fans nowadays.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't worry the Super bowl will never be in London for this simple reason. The game has to be played for the Eastern time zone prime time audience. That is where most of the football fans reside. That means it starts at around 7:00 pm and ends around 10:30 of 11:00. If the game is in London, it would have to start at like 11:00 local time and be done at about 2:30. Plus as mentioned before the weather sucks in London at this time of year.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Great point, but this kind of logic has no place in the NFL offices or the media who report this crap like it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RageWizard View Post
    Don't worry the Super bowl will never be in London for this simple reason. The game has to be played for the Eastern time zone prime time audience. That is where most of the football fans reside. That means it starts at around 7:00 pm and ends around 10:30 of 11:00. If the game is in London, it would have to start at like 11:00 local time and be done at about 2:30. Plus as mentioned before the weather sucks in London at this time of year.

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

They can have their London Super Bowl the year after I get my NY Super Bowl. I'd vote for the Super Bowl to have a PERMANENT home in San Diego, New Orleans, or Miami, before I'd support a London Super Bowl.