Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

My thoughts 8/16

Everyday I am gonna try and start a discussion about a major topic relating to the sports world or the sports gambing world. I will offer an opinion and see what you guys think.

I will start with the most obvious topic in the the NFL today, Michael Vick.

Today on ESPN's "Around the Horn" Chicago Sun Times columnist Jay Marioti brought up that in the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, anybody associated with gambling or outside gambling is subject to a lifetime ban.

My question is, if Vick does indead plead guilty should he be subject to a lifetime ban in the NFL? Before you answer, remember that he told the commishinreer a month ago he had nothing to do with this dog fighting charge. A plea would mean he lied to the commineer.

In my opinion. Vick has no choice but to plead guily and hope to play in the CFL one day.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

A lifetime ban? I don't see why. If he does time, he's paid his debt to society when he comes out. Whether or not he lied to the commissioner is a non-issue for me. Bush lies all the time to the People and he's still president. So if you want to clean house, let's start at the top.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

if a lifetime ban is on the table from the NFL, I don't think Vick will make a plea agreement that has any Gambling charges involved. If the plea is just for animal fighting then he will plea down and spend a year in jail then come right back to being a quater back (who can't throw) for some team. If the feds make a gambling plea as part of the deal then this case will go to trial. Then if convicted he will be done. Since I do predict things involving football, I think he will be back for some team in 2009.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think his NFL career is over unless he miraculously gets off. Hiring an ex-felon to be your QB would be a PR nightmare for any team in the future, not to mention he's not exactly a proven winner. I can see him playing in that new league that Mark Cuban supposedly wants to start, but the NFL I think might be off limits.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Get your dates right!

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I would imagine that his lawyers are very likely trying to cop a plea that won't admit to any gambling violations. Not sure how they will do that, but they're lawyers and that means they're capable of slithering through even the densest of grass.

Agree with EP here that, depending on the plea agreement, his time in the NFL is very likely done due to the PR nightmare involved in signing the gutless chicken sh¡t once his jail time is done. Paying your debt to society is one thing; paying your debt to Madison Avenue is quite another.

EDIT: Changed title to 8/16, and glad to see you around, Illusion.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's great to see you also Willie.

He has until today to enter a plea so we shall see.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Two more of Vick's homeboys plead guilty today I see.

Even with all this stuff going on right now in this case. If I was Vick I would take my chances and go to trial, because I think he will beat the case with that staff of fine lawyers he has.