Bears face tougher road in NFC North

07/26/2007 07:44 AM
By: Marc Lawrence

Recent history has not been kind to Super Bowl losers in their follow-up season, and that could hold true for the Bears in 2007 with the other NFC North teams on the rise.

With all of three years experience, Lovie Smith is the suddenly the senior resident of the coaching fraternity in the NFC North Division. He’s also the defending Super Bowl runner-up. And according to our database it’s not the most desirable position to be in, especially in a division filled with hungry teams on the come.
Bears face tougher road in NFC North

Here is my take of teams in the NFC North Division for 2007. Enjoy!

CHICAGO BEARS
Team Theme: We Aren't The Champions

You have to love Lovie. He stood by Turnoverasaurus Rex Grossman even after it became apparent that the Bears were never going to grab the brass ring with Rex at QB. They did manage to land TE Greg Olsen (Miami) with their top pick in the NFL draft, and he should pay immediate dividends.

Unfortunately, they will carry the burden of 'Super Bowl loser' into the 2007 season. We mention that because only one of six teams has managed to return to the playoffs the next year after losing a Super Bowl. These teams are also terrible ATS propositions standing at 8-24 ATS with rest, and 35-68-3 ATS as road favorites according to the Playbook.com. That makes our Power Play an easy play this season.

PLAY AGAINST: as favorites vs. Oakland (11/11) - *KEY

DETROIT LIONS
Team Theme: Millen About

Yep, they did it again. After spending three of their previous four No. 1 draft picks on a wide receiver, the Lions just couldn’t help themselves when their turn came. "With the No. 2 pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Calvin Johnson, wide receiver from Georgia Tech," uttered commissioner Roger Goodell. Only this time, folks, they may have landed the best player in the entire draft.

At 6-05, 240 lbs, with Jerry Rice-like moves, Johnson appears a virtual lock in offensive coordinator Mike Martz’s scheme. Besides, head coach Rod Marinelli loves positional flexibility. With Roy Williams lining up at opposite receiver, he and Johnson have the makings of becoming the best tandem in the league. More importantly, this team hasn’t had a winning season since 2000, going 24-72 under four coaches since. It’s about time.

PLAY ON: as home dog vs. Green Bay (11/22)

GREEN BAY PACKERS
Team Theme: Checkered Flag

The handwriting is on the wall and Packers’ fans don’t like what they’re reading. When Green Bay failed to acquire WR Randy Moss from Oakland, in a "done deal," as far as QB Brett Favre was concerned, management sent a message.

"I know what we could have signed him for," Favre told a Memphis television station. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay and for the amount of money we would have paid him. It was well worth the risk."

After hearing of Favre’s outburst, management insisted on and received, an apology.

"I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me," responded Favre. The bottom line is the finish line. It’s in sight.

PLAY ON: at home vs. Detroit (12/30)

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Team Theme: One Step Back, Two Steps Forward

The Vikings appeared to take a step backward under new head coach Brad Childress last season. A closer look under the microscope, though, shows a different picture.

It was a case of two different seasons for Minnesota in 2006. The first season was the 4-2 SU and 5-1 ATS start. The second came just two weeks after their Bye Week when they finished up 2-8 SU and ATS. Through it all Childress managed to improve the offense 21 YPG and the defense 22 YPG.

Those are good building blocks and we feel the Vikings will improve in 2007. Minny had "an outstanding weekend" during the draft, commented ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper. Running back Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma) adds huge playmaking ability and should co-exist nicely with Chester Taylor. We like the Vikes.

PLAY ON: home vs. Green Bay (9/30) - *KEY as dog