K3vans
    K3vans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1042

I have been following these boards for a couple of years now. Trying to get more involved. Below is my first game breakdown. Any feedback would be appreciated.. Positive or negative.

The biggest question I have going into this game.. How much energy has Indianapolis exerted over the last few weeks in their (successful) attempt to make the playoffs? Indianapolis played in the late game on Sunday night, on the road, and here they are again on the road, with the first kickoff on Saturday. Short week for both teams, but I think this is more of a disadvantage for Indianapolis as it is a road game and Houston clinched a playoff spot weeks ago.

First factor I looked at.. How well does each team protect their franchise QB? The Colts have allowed only 18 sacks all season. On the other hand, the Texans have allowed a league worst 62 sacks this season (most in the NFL since 2006).

Next, I looked at each team’s success against winning teams (finished 8-8 or better) this season.. IND was 5-2 ATS and outgained those opponents by an average of 60 yards per game. HOU was 3-4 ATS and outgained those opponents by an average of 15 yards per game.

These teams are very familiar with each other as they both play in the AFC South.

In their Week 4 meeting in Indianapolis, the Texans prevailed in OT, 37-34. The offensive stats in the first game were virtually the same, despite HOU having the ball for 10 minutes longer than IND (40:04 to 29:56). 84 total plays for HOU, 466 total yards. 83 total plays for IND, 478 total yards. There was a big difference in passing and rushing yards. HOU gained 347 yards passing and 119 yards on the ground, while IND gained 437 yards passing and 41 yards rushing. HOU did have 1 turnover (INT), while IND lost 2 fumbles.

Houston hosted their Week 13 meeting on a 9 game winning streak. The Colts snapped that streak, winning 24-21.There was a big difference in offensive stats, despite almost equal time of possession (28:03 for IND/31:57 for HOU). 66 total plays for IND, 436 total yards. 68 total plays for HOU, only 315 total yards. 386 yard passing and 50 yards rushing for IND. 226 yards passing for HOU and 89 yards rushing. IND did have the only turnover in this game (Luck INT).

The Colts have won 4 in a row, tied with Chicago for the longest winning streak entering the playoffs. I think Andrew Luck and company will make it 5 in a row. Colts 27-17.
    Last edited by K3vans; 01-04-19 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Paragraphs

hamburglar628
    hamburglar628's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 919

I agree. There's so many stats and personnel in favor of Indy. Luck and the indy offense as of late have been fantastic besides that one strange game against the Jags. The pick Luck had in their last meeting was such a bonehead pick and Luck knew it as soon as he threw it. He's the #3 overall MVP this year and you could make an argument for him being the MVP with how much less talent he has on offense than Brees or Mahomes. The colts have been dissecting defenses with a great combination of running, passing, and Luck's in game management. I love Indy next year to win it all, but they have the right formula to beat any team in this playoffs. Great coach, QB, offensive line, defense, and above average run game.

BankrBIG
    BankrBIG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 308

Quote Originally Posted by K3vans View Post
    I have been following these boards for a couple of years now. Trying to get more involved. Below is my first game breakdown. Any feedback would be appreciated.. Positive or negative.

The biggest question I have going into this game.. How much energy has Indianapolis exerted over the last few weeks in their (successful) attempt to make the playoffs? Indianapolis played in the late game on Sunday night, on the road, and here they are again on the road, with the first kickoff on Saturday. Short week for both teams, but I think this is more of a disadvantage for Indianapolis as it is a road game and Houston clinched a playoff spot weeks ago. First factor I looked at.. How well does each team protect their franchise QB? The Colts have allowed only 18 sacks all season. On the other hand, the Texans have allowed a league worst 62 sacks this season (most in the NFL since 2006). Next, I looked at each team’s success against winning teams (finished 8-8 or better) this season.. IND was 5-2 ATS and outgained those opponents by an average of 60 yards per game. HOU was 3-4 ATS and outgained those opponents by an average of 15 yards per game. These teams are very familiar with each other as they both play in the AFC South. In their Week 4 meeting in Indianapolis, the Texans prevailed in OT, 37-34. The offensive stats in the first game were virtually the same, despite HOU having the ball for 10 minutes longer than IND (40:04 to 29:56). 84 total plays for HOU, 466 total yards. 83 total plays for IND, 478 total yards. There was a big difference in passing and rushing yards. HOU gained 347 yards passing and 119 yards on the ground, while IND gained 437 yards passing and 41 yards rushing. HOU did have 1 turnover (INT), while IND lost 2 fumbles. Houston hosted their Week 13 meeting on a 9 game winning streak. The Colts snapped that streak, winning 24-21.There was a big difference in offensive stats, despite almost equal time of possession (28:03 for IND/31:57 for HOU). 66 total plays for IND, 436 total yards. 68 total plays for HOU, only 315 total yards. 386 yard passing and 50 yards rushing for IND. 226 yards passing for HOU and 89 yards rushing. IND did have the only turnover in this game (Luck INT).

The Colts have won 4 in a row, tied with Chicago for the longest winning streak entering the playoffs. I think Andrew Luck and company will make it 5 in a row. Colts 27-17.
    DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Bro, please use paragraphs in between those. I find it very hard to read sitting 12 inches from my computer monitor and keep losing my place.

Other than that, you forgot to mention how Luck is a good QB, but he makes mistakes, and Houston has good enough defense to intercept his balls. He will be limited in options if Hilton is down, or even off the field half the game. TURNOVERS!

ZIPPER HEAD
    ZIPPER HEAD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5106

Quote Originally Posted by K3vans View Post

The biggest question I have going into this game.. How much energy has Indianapolis exerted over the last few weeks in their (successful) attempt to make the playoffs? Indianapolis played in the late game on Sunday night, on the road, and here they are again on the road, with the first kickoff on Saturday. Short week for both teams, but I think this is more of a disadvantage for Indianapolis as it is a road game and Houston clinched a playoff spot weeks ago.

First factor I looked at.. How well does each team protect their franchise QB? The Colts have allowed only 18 sacks all season. On the other hand, the Texans have allowed a league worst 62 sacks this season (most in the NFL since 2006).

Next, I looked at each team’s success against winning teams (finished 8-8 or better) this season.. IND was 5-2 ATS and outgained those opponents by an average of 60 yards per game. HOU was 3-4 ATS and outgained those opponents by an average of 15 yards per game.

These teams are very familiar with each other as they both play in the AFC South.

In their Week 4 meeting in Indianapolis, the Texans prevailed in OT, 37-34. The offensive stats in the first game were virtually the same, despite HOU having the ball for 10 minutes longer than IND (40:04 to 29:56). 84 total plays for HOU, 466 total yards. 83 total plays for IND, 478 total yards. There was a big difference in passing and rushing yards. HOU gained 347 yards passing and 119 yards on the ground, while IND gained 437 yards passing and 41 yards rushing. HOU did have 1 turnover (INT), while IND lost 2 fumbles.

Houston hosted their Week 13 meeting on a 9 game winning streak. The Colts snapped that streak, winning 24-21.There was a big difference in offensive stats, despite almost equal time of possession (28:03 for IND/31:57 for HOU). 66 total plays for IND, 436 total yards. 68 total plays for HOU, only 315 total yards. 386 yard passing and 50 yards rushing for IND. 226 yards passing for HOU and 89 yards rushing. IND did have the only turnover in this game (Luck INT).

Best post/reasoning I have see on this board in a longtime- GL

HilltopTony
    HilltopTony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

The stat that stands out to me is Indy's lack of rushing yds. If Hou is able to stop the run, Luck will force a few throws and be intercepted, killing drives or setting Hou up with good field position.

I lean Houston in a tight 24-22 type game. Hou ML for me.

Saluki09
    Saluki09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 350

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopTony View Post
    The stat that stands out to me is Indy's lack of rushing yds. If Hou is able to stop the run, Luck will force a few throws and be intercepted, killing drives or setting Hou up with good field position.

I lean Houston in a tight 24-22 type game. Hou ML for me.
    Indy couldn’t rush either game and still won both games...

HilltopTony

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki09 View Post
    Indy couldn’t rush either game and still won both games...
    Indy and Hou split the series this year

Saluki09

Indy and Hou split the series this year
    The point is Indy can still easily win without having a dominant run game

HilltopTony

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki09 View Post
    The point is Indy can still easily win without having a dominant run game
    You're right. Playoffs are a different animal though. And Indy is no NE!

Saluki09

You're right. Playoffs are a different animal though. And Indy is no NE!
    No but they’re the hottest team in the NFL. I’d take them over the Pats rn, maybe not at home though

HilltopTony

Saluki,
    I'm riding Hou ML. I would give the 2 points, but the NFL has a way of doing funny things at times. If Indy wins, I'll give you your props. I don't see it happening though.

Saluki09

Saluki,
    I'm riding Hou ML. I would give the 2 points, but the NFL has a way of doing funny things at times. If Indy wins, I'll give you your props. I don't see it happening though.
    No I understand, GL Tony

BankrBIG
    BankrBIG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 308

This dude will top the league with interceptions today. He has 15 picks, while BIG BEN has 16.