Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Like I said... You have NO CLUE about NFL contracts. Bell would have NEVER seen 70 million on that contract. Why not educate yourself before you post bad/misleading facts.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    My motto is “pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered”.
    Believe it or not, it does not pay to be greedy.
    Art Rooney paid $2,500 for the Steelers. Today it's worth $2.5 BILLION. Just who the fukk is greedy here? The NFL owners have fukked their players for years. The pay distribution is unfair for the players and tilted towards the owners. The retirement is set so that very few guys can get it and they routinely deny players of medical treatment after they've played the game. The NFLPA has been colluding with the owners to strip the players of any and all power. Too many players need that next paycheck, so they can't help but suit up next week. So there's zero unity among them.

Talk about hogs getting slaughtered... Here is a list of players DEAD from CTE. There's not enough pages at SBR for me to list other debilitating long term injuries, such as arthritis, memory loss, chronic pain, immobilization, etc. This is just from CTE. These greedy bastards.

These guys are DEAD!!

Here is a list of living players with CTE

Mac4Lyfe

Here is the list of players that are plaintiffs in CTE lawsuits. Yeah, they are all greedy fukkks aren't they?

Mac4Lyfe

CONTINUED LIST OF GREEDY FUKKs

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Mac, do you believe players should get whatever they want no questions asked?

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

I guess that you may be correct when discussing Wall St. or gambling .

But greed pays off handsomely when it comes to big pharma, arms sales or medical equipment for example.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Mac, do you believe players should get whatever they want no questions asked?
    Of course not Giant. But I don't understand how anyone can be upset when a guy holds out for more money. People do the same thing in corporate America all the time and we call them shrewd, smart and business men but when pro athletes do it, they are lazy, greedy and ungrateful??? To make matters worst, the people name calling them have no idea what NFL contracts entail. All they hear is Le'Veon turned down $70 million when the real contract was less than half that amount.

So he gets $33 million guaranteed. 40% goes to Uncle Sam right off the top. He pays his agent up to 3%, pays the state of PA another 3%, plus pays any state that the Steelers happen to play each week, which could be up to 13.3% if he plays in California (in December vs Oakland). So up to 60% of his salary is GONE before he even saw it. He gets paid on a W2 which means he can't use any standard deductions. Now, let's say he has a million dollar house in Texas for example. He would pay ~4% every year in property tax, he also pays Social Security taxes which isn't much for high income earners but it all adds up. We're almost up to 70% of that $33 million or he effectively now brings in only $10 - $12 million on what looked like a $70 million dollar offer. Now most people would love to make $10 million dollars but try living an entire lifetime on that when you're supposed to be a big baller, celebrity??? No wonder a lot of athletes end up out living their money.

While the owners get every tax break, corporate incentives, state incentives, reduced state and local tax for having a team, etc. It is a sham.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Karma. Sit out all of training camp, still get hurt during the season. These jagoffs sign long-term deals, then think they can sit out the last year or 2 hoping to sign another long-term deal. Doesn't work that way.

Thomas got what he deserved. If you sign the contract, show up and fckin play and that includes all mandatory training camps.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by keely85 View Post
    Kinda saying people shouldn't demand more money if they're good at what they do? Do you see hospitals low-balling great brain surgeons and just settling for Dr. Nick? gtfo
    Hospitals don't have salary caps. If you want to pay people what they are worth, then get rid of the salary cap and give everyone a 1 year contract. Free agency every single year for every player.

The players union negotiated the franchise tag system. If there was no franchise tag, then players would simply have a 5 year deal and their salary, and all of them would sit out the last year trying to get another one. Their choice to do that. Organization's choice to fine them till they report and no need to trade them.

What team was going to trade for Earl Thomas knowing he was going to be a free agent the following season? Plus he's also old too. His days of getting another big time contract were over anyway, broken leg or not

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Of course not Giant. But I don't understand how anyone can be upset when a guy holds out for more money.
    Who is upset? You are the only one who looks upset. Lol

People do the same thing in corporate America all the time and we call them shrewd, smart and business men but when pro athletes do it, they are lazy, greedy and ungrateful???
    Every situation is different. And I have seen many hogs get slaughtered in the corporate world.

To make matters worst, the people name calling them have no idea what NFL contracts entail. All they hear is Le'Veon turned down $70 million when the real contract was less than half that amount.

So he gets $33 million guaranteed. 40% goes to Uncle Sam right off the top. He pays his agent up to 3%, pays the state of PA another 3%, plus pays any state that the Steelers happen to play each week, which could be up to 13.3% if he plays in California (in December vs Oakland). So up to 60% of his salary is GONE before he even saw it. He gets paid on a W2 which means he can't use any standard deductions. Now, let's say he has a million dollar house in Texas for example. He would pay ~4% every year in property tax, he also pays Social Security taxes which isn't much for high income earners but it all adds up. We're almost up to 70% of that $33 million or he effectively now brings in only $10 - $12 million on what looked like a $70 million dollar offer. Now most people would love to make $10 million dollars but try living an entire lifetime on that when you're supposed to be a big baller, celebrity??? No wonder a lot of athletes end up out living their money.

While the owners get every tax break, corporate incentives, state incentives, reduced state and local tax for having a team, etc. It is a sham.

Um. You just inflated every number you could as high as possible to make the net as low as possible. I don’t know if it’s what you meant to say, but you can in fact take a standard deduction or itemize as either a w2 or 1099 income earner. Not sure which one NFL players are, but it doesn’t matter.

The highest effective tax rate in the NFL is 47% and that is Phillip Rivers’ tax rate. https://smartasset.com/taxes/jock-taxes-2017-edition

Everyone has to pay taxes, including NFL owners. In fact, I am sure they pay quite a bit more, nominally, than players do. Yes they get tax breaks, incentives, and abatements. That is the free market society that we live in. Cities and states offer tax incentives to attract business and grow their economies.

I really don’t have time to continue debating back and forth. I think we have a philosophical difference of opinion on this that will not change no matter how many times we go back and forth.

But the bottom line is, whether or not you or Bell or whoever like the way things are run in the NFL doesn’t matter. It is the way it is. And Bell is fukking himself in every way possible by doing what he is doing. Not only has he lost a ton of money, but he has lowered his stock price considerably because nobody will pay full boat for all the problems he will bring to whatever team he goes to.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Oops wrong thread me thinks
    Last edited by jtoler; 10-02-18 at 06:57 AM.

MoonPond
    MoonPond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12539

Short term, didn't Seattle win this conflict?

Earl Thomas helps them get 2 wins and then gets too badly injured to be traded to another team. Less competition.
    Points Awarded:

Pick'nParlays gave MoonPond 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Ask the 10 richest people on Earth and tell him your motto. They'll laugh at your face. Richest people are the greediest of them all but they want the poor to think the way you think...

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

I don't know what injustice was done to Thomas here

He was under contract
    They did not want to keep him after his contract was up and couldn't get what they wanted for him in a trade

What did they do wrong???

This is nothing like the Bell situation where they keep franchising him and running him into the ground

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    Ask the 10 richest people on Earth and tell him your motto. They'll laugh at your face. Richest people are the greediest of them all but they want the poor to think the way you think...
    So I guess you have a personal relationship with the 10 wealthiest people on earth?

Google my quote and see who it is attributed to. LOL

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

So I guess you have a personal relationship with the 10 wealthiest people on earth?

Greaser, it is well documented how you look down on poor people

Everyone saw how you shamed me for buying used golf balls while you and your rich buddies buy new golf balls and light your cigars with $100 bills

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    Greaser, it is well documented how you look down on poor people

Everyone saw how you shamed me for buying used golf balls while you and your rich buddies buy new golf balls and light your cigars with $100 bills

Maggies I am not proud of that.

PM me your address and I will ship you a dozen Pro V1s.

Brand new ones, pal.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Don't be so obtuse. You don't have to have a personal relationship to know that they're greedy as fukk. One of the main characteristics of richest are narcissism. You have to lack empathy, be greedy, and screw over people. Do you think people get rich by lacking greed?

You are not "them" you will never be "them". Don't act like you're in their club. Owners are greedier than the players.

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    Don't be so obtuse. You don't have to have a personal relationship to know that they're greedy as fukk. One of the main characteristics of richest are narcissism. You have to lack empathy, be greedy, and screw over people. Do you think people get rich by lacking greed?

You are not "them" you will never be "them". Don't act like you're in their club. Owners are greedier than the players.
    So you’re saying you don’t know any, right?

Mac4Lyfe

but you can in fact take a standard deduction or itemize as either a w2 or 1099 income earner. Not sure which one NFL players are, but it doesn’t matter.
    The highest effective tax rate in the NFL is 47% and that is Phillip Rivers’ tax rate. https://smartasset.com/taxes/jock-taxes-2017-edition
    Everyone has to pay taxes, including NFL owners. In fact, I am sure they pay quite a bit more, nominally, than players do. Yes they get tax breaks, incentives, and abatements. That is the free market society that we live in. Cities and states offer tax incentives to attract business and grow their economies.
    But the bottom line is, whether or not you or Bell or whoever like the way things are run in the NFL doesn’t matter. It is the way it is. And Bell is fukking himself in every way possible by doing what he is doing. Not only has he lost a ton of money, but he has lowered his stock price considerably because nobody will pay full boat for all the problems he will bring to whatever team he goes to.
    How can you say Bell is fukking himself? Only Bell can answer that question. He's not taking chances of getting hurt without a long term deal. Every week he doesn't play, is a week he can't get hurt. We shall soon see if anyone will pay him what he really thinks he's worth.

So NFL players can take standard deductions and that's going to really help them avoid taxes. Haha, you funny. They are ALL employees and receive a W-2. Sorry but no 1099 income unless they earn income doing something else, i.e., commercials, etc. The standard deductions are getting less and less while the tax rate keeps going up. Add the jock tax where the states want their cut as well. Players are paying a shit load of taxes up front. It's with held from their paychecks before they even see it.

EVERYONE DOES NOT PAY TAXES. Trump avoided taxes for years. The wealthiest people in the US, DO NOT PAY TAXES. The ones that are rich pay some taxes but a lot less than the middle class. These owners are not paying much in taxes.

Mac4Lyfe

The Steelers have averaged 43 yards rushing a game the last 3 games... 43 TOTAL RUSHING YARDS.

You are absolutely crazy if you don't think Bell's stock has risen these last few weeks. Steelers running game looks like shit. The offensive line looks like shit.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Of course not Giant. But I don't understand how anyone can be upset when a guy holds out for more money. People do the same thing in corporate America all the time and we call them shrewd, smart and business men but when pro athletes do it, they are lazy, greedy and ungrateful??? To make matters worst, the people name calling them have no idea what NFL contracts entail. All they hear is Le'Veon turned down $70 million when the real contract was less than half that amount.

Dont know many corporate sharks,but I doubt id praise any of them.Their nobody to me.

grease lightnin
    &

How can you say Bell is fukking himself? Only Bell can answer that question. He's not taking chances of getting hurt without a long term deal. Every week he doesn't play, is a week he can't get hurt. We shall soon see if anyone will pay him what he really thinks he's worth.

So NFL players can take standard deductions and that's going to really help them avoid taxes. Haha, you funny. They are ALL employees and receive a W-2. Sorry but no 1099 income unless they earn income doing something else, i.e., commercials, etc. The standard deductions are getting less and less while the tax rate keeps going up. Add the jock tax where the states want their cut as well. Players are paying a shit load of taxes up front. It's with held from their paychecks before they even see it.

EVERYONE DOES NOT PAY TAXES. Trump avoided taxes for years. The wealthiest people in the US, DO NOT PAY TAXES. The ones that are rich pay some taxes but a lot less than the middle class. These owners are not paying much in taxes.

Ugh.

Mac. Wealthy people pay a ton of taxes. Trump avoided paying taxes for a bit because he lost 900 million dollars.

Standard deductions doubled this year. However, if NFL players have decent advisors, they are doing all kinds of things to generate write offs and are itemizing rather than taking standard deductions. Do you really want to know? Read this. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ble-2016-07-27

As far as Bell goes, yes. Time will tell. We will see who was right sooon enough.

Pick'nParlays
    My Wifi Name is PrettyFly4aWifi
    Pick'nParlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

if i made $15 an hour and i DONT flip off my boss when hes a dick. I see both sides here... What am I missing? grow up
    Last edited by Pick'nParlays; 10-02-18 at 09:01 PM.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11977

I’m all for Bells decision but wouldn’t it kinda be funny if he tore his acl getting out of bed

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    I’m all for Bells decision but wouldn’t it kinda be funny if he tore his acl getting out of bed
    Which is why he just like ALL NFL players need long term deals. They are all one injury away from their careers being over. There's not too many depressing sights than seeing a guy that had all the talent in the world but couldn't realize it anymore due to nagging injuries. Imagine what Bo Jackson could have been as a baseball player?

Mac4Lyfe

Ugh.
    Mac. Wealthy people pay a ton of taxes. Trump avoided paying taxes for a bit because he lost 900 million dollars.
    Standard deductions doubled this year. However, if NFL players have decent advisors, they are doing all kinds of things to generate write offs and are itemizing rather than taking standard deductions. Do you really want to know? Read this. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ble-2016-07-27
    As far as Bell goes, yes. Time will tell. We will see who was right sooon enough.
    Many wealthy people pay NO tax. Trump didn't pay taxes for 18 years. Eighteen years...

In 2011, for instance, about 433,000 tax filers with incomes over $100,000 paid no federal income tax, according to estimates based on limited IRS data by the Tax Policy Center, a nonprofit think tank. That number includes approximately 4,000 filers with an income of $1 million or more.

I read that article. Josh Martin made $575k salary and $70k in endorsements. His write offs were minuscule. It totaled just $75k, pretty much what he made in endorsements. In other words, he got taxed on 100% of his salary, just like most other athletes who are at the top bracket. They do not enjoy the tax benefits of the rich. They are high paid employees on a W2. So a guy like Bell gets a fictitious $70M contract, which he'll never see half of it guaranteed, then he's taxed another half of that before he even sees a dime. $70M is more like $16M over several years. That's the truth. Unfortunately, most of these guys believe they have $70M, when they never did and worst of all, they think the money is going to always keep coming in, when we all know that it won't. Guys are then in for a rude awakening that their game checks are gone and they have no way to make additional money.

grease lightnin
    &

Many wealthy people pay NO tax. Trump didn't pay taxes for 18 years. Eighteen years...

Not true. You know I am not a forever Trump guy. But damn. Stop listening to Rachel Maddow. Google is your friend.

I read that article. Josh Martin made $575k salary and $70k in endorsements. His write offs were minuscule. It totaled just $75k, pretty much what he made in endorsements. In other words, he got taxed on 100% of his salary, just like most other athletes who are at the top bracket. They do not enjoy the tax benefits of the rich. They are high paid employees on a W2. So a guy like Bell gets a fictitious $70M contract, which he'll never see half of it guaranteed, then he's taxed another half of that before he even sees a dime. $70M is more like $16M over several years. That's the truth. Unfortunately, most of these guys believe they have $70M, when they never did and worst of all, they think the money is going to always keep coming in, when we all know that it won't. Guys are then in for a rude awakening that their game checks are gone and they have no way to make additional money.
    I am not sad for a guy who gets paid a boatload to play a professional sport and has to pay his taxes. Give me a break. Do you want high income earners to pay their damn taxes or not??? WTF is wrong with you? You want high income earners to pay their taxes UNLESS they play football?

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    Cowboys will make him Rich next year
    With a broken leg? Unlikely. Once your leg breaks its never the same again, you are a step slower and your leg feels heavier

First 12