Redchevy
    Redchevy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5697

Mail the Trophy to NE?

How many others now think the SB has to go through NE? This team is looking so good, who's going to give them a run for the money?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wouldn't just give it to the Pats at all this year. People seem to forget that Moss only shows up when he wants too, and besides that he could New England's T.O.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

San Diego is still the best team. I think they pulled the coup of the draft getting Weddle, and Craig Davis will improve what was already the best offense in the NFL.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have to question the San Diego revamped coaching staff this year. That could be a big minus factor for them believe it or not IMO.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I liked the Pats before the draft.

After the draft, it looks like Bellichik wants to throw some dynamite into the blender this year taking Moss & Merriwether. I sense some desperation as his core guys keep getting older. They are putting a lot of chips in the middle, banking on one more big run in 2007. As a Colts fan, I am rooting for Moss to become a team cancer, but I don't think it'll happen.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

the overhype from ESPN alone should be a red flag that NE will not make it and as much as I would love to see SD get thier act together, I cannot see it happen during Norv's 1str year and without Cam...

what is wrong with a Colt's repeat?

icemaster47
    icemaster47's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2676

Forget Moss. he's the no risk guy, little upfront $, spent a 4th on him - he coughs too loud in a meeting and Bill will cut his ass.

The Pats are looking real good to go all the way this year, especially with the addition of Adalius Thomas.

If they get Samuel to play, and the rest of the D stays even remotely healthy, then watch out.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

The NFL is unpredictable...

A Week 1 season ending injury to Brady or Maroney and they won't make the playoffs...

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

The injury factor could hit at any moment. I remember the Jets were most people's SB pick in Parcells 3rd and last year there and Vinny get an ACL tear handing the ball off and their season was over in Week 1.

Remarkable how Brady and Manning have completely avoided injuries, especially Peyton being in the league 9 years. Same with Favre.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator7 View Post
    The NFL is unpredictable...

A Week 1 season ending injury to Brady or Maroney and they won't make the playoffs...

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

San Diego is the most talented team. Not too happy with the new coach, but he does know the playbook. Does he have what it takes to bring the Chargers to the next level? No. The players will have to do it.

Pats? Way too easy for them to win their division. How many games can they lose and still make the playoffs? Compare that to the Chargers.

slacker00

Dark Horse, didn't Norv write the playbook for San Diego? I agree San Diego has some challenges, but I don't think they're any worse off than last year. It remains to be seen that Norv can be a true leader of a team, though. His coaching intellect as an OC shouldn't be in dispute, though.

The Pats have the golden road paved for them this year, but history has shown us, it also takes a fair amount of luck to win in this league. One thing for sure, I don't think the Patriots will be sneaking up on anyone this year.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

He did write the playbook. They shuffled around some of the names in his absence, so they had some good laughs during the first training camp. Rivers seemed surprised and relieved that they could continue to build without a major adjustment to the new coaching situation.

I still feel that SD gave away too much in coaching continuity and experience to win the SB. They have the players, but the leadership of this organization leaves much to be desired. To win a championship everyone, from top to bottom, has to be on the same page. The Pats figured that out a long time ago.

slacker00

It's a crapshoot, but a weighted crapshoot.

You could take a 6-sided die and write Indy, NE, SD on 3 sides, respectively. On the fourth side write Denver, Cincy, Baltimore. On the 5th side write Chi, Sea, Philly. On the 6th side, write "everyone else". Toss that sucker and see how it lands.

Basically it's the big 3: Indy, NE, SD. Then the little 3: Den, Cincy, Baltimore. Purely based on playoff structure you have to make a case for the NFC 3: Chi, Sea, Philly. Then there's everyone else.

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I have to question the San Diego revamped coaching staff this year. That could be a big minus factor for them believe it or not IMO.
    I agree with you Dan there is alot to be said for a coaching staff.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Injuries are the wildcard. A few injuries to key personnel would make any contender into a pretender.

But I agree with slacker that it's a crapshoot. When Pittsburgh won it all a few years ago, they were expected to be mediocre...and really, for much of the season, they were. They peaked at the right moment and that has a lot to do with coaching. (Jerome Bettis tried to give it away in the AFC championship, but Indy kicker didn't want it.)