jerseykingpin
    jerseykingpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Holmgren eyes Browns opportunity

CLEVELAND -- Former Seattle and Green Bay coach Mike Holmgren is interested in working for the struggling Cleveland Browns.
    Holmgren said on his weekly radio show on Seattle's KJR that he has not yet spoken to Browns owner Randy Lerner, who is looking for a "serious, credible leader" football authority to run his struggling team. However, Holmgren did indicate he would welcome the chance to take on a rebuilding project like the 1-8 Browns.
    "It takes a tremendous amount of energy, but there is a certain appeal there," the 61-year-old Holmgren. "There's something in my personality, too, that taking on those types of projects, that kind of gets me going. But there's a lot of work to do.
    "The important thing, going into any organization is that all of the principles, all of the decision makers are pointed in the same direction, with the same motives, the same desires, and then you have a chance."
    Holmgren was Seattle's GM and coach for four seasons. He stepped down as coach after last season to spend more time with his family.
    Last week, Browns Hall of Famer Jim Brown said Lerner had met with "one of the great football minds in this country," and hinted that person may have been Holmgren. Brown is a senior adviser with the Browns.
    Cleveland coach Eric Mangini, struggling in his first season with the Browns, refused to comment on reports that Holmgren was on Lerner's wish list.
    "Randy's really handling that, so I'll let him talk about that," Mangini said this week.
    The Browns, who have scored just five offensive touchdowns this season, visit Detroit (1-8) on Sunday.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

GOOD CHOICE for them..if he wants

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree, but at 61, I don't know if he can take the constant stress on a daily basis that comes with leading the Browns. Think they may be better off going with someone young, enthusiastic that will put forth the energy and hours needed in righting this ship, just my opinion.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

No way Holmgren coaches in Cleveland. He had a much better situation in Seattle and walked away.

jerseykingpin
    jerseykingpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

I dont think a 30yr old could take the stress

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseykingpin View Post
    I dont think a 30yr old could take the stress
    Agree, I don't think an established coach would want to walk into this situation. I think it is going to take a new, up and coming coach that needs to prove himself, that would take on this challenge.

Still gonna be stressful for whoever takes on this roll the first few years, can't turn it around over night.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

new up and coming coach wont make it in that mess w/o great gm anyway. like i said good move on cle part..but y would he want?