InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17680

NO is Desperate... According to ESPN. Pound Philly

Sportcenter and ESPN as a whole did some stellar reporting tonight...

Apparently, Sean Payton has changed the music during practice, the flavor of Gatorade, brand of Brees' pregame meal, and the tracksuit that they will be wearing for the weekend. All of this is to change their luck for the game against Philly.

What wasn't mentioned:
    NO is 8-0 at home. 3-5 on the road.
    Brees has thrown 80% of his INTs on the road.
    NO is 0-5 ALL TIME in non-super bowl road games.

Great reporting ESPN. Way to give the facts. #JayandDan

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

ESPN is always behind the curve these days. It's like TMZ for sports. It's tabloid reporting.

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good to know InThaRed... Yeah, I have noticed Sean Peyton getting desperate in the past before. You can just tell by his manurisms on the sidelines when he is feeling desperate, and it shows on the field it really does. I didnt like much of the NFL spreads this week, but I kinda like PHI ML now. Might try a PHI and SF ML parlay...

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14010

nfl playoffs are a whole new line of work forget reg. season its win or next yr. vegas gonna get all that philly money saints win

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by InTheRed View Post
    NO is 8-0 at home. 3-5 on the road.
    Good thing for them Philly is only 4-4 at home. Sounds like a good matchup.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

phily is the worst team by far the saints (aside from jets) played on the road and lost. brees will shred them to pieces. good luck!

WWCD
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    WWCD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

I am leaning Eagles, but I thought these stats were interesting:

Drew Brees is 34-26 ATS as an underdog.
    Eagles are 9-24 ATS at home since 2010.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Good thing for them Philly is only 4-4 at home. Sounds like a good matchup.
    Philly is 4-0 at home since October. NO is 1-4 on the road since October. Two teams going in opposite directions.

jizay
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Philly is 4-0 at home since October. NO is 1-4 on the road since October. Two teams going in opposite directions.
    So now you want to subset the season, dividing it at the place that suits you, and look for trends based on a small sample? Bad idea. Two of those road losses aren't bad in my mind anyway. They got smacked in Seattle on a Monday night the week before a big showdown with Carolina (which they won). Weren't supposed to get that game and probably threw in the towel early. Another was the loss at Carolina in week 16. Saints outplayed them, outgained them 365-222, but got clipped in the closing seconds. Sh1t happens. One play goes differently down the stretch and we're talking about a Saints team that beat a better team than the Eagles in their last road game.

I don't know if they can play to the level they did in that game on the road again this weekend, but if they do they will win. They've at least showed as recently as week 16 that they can play high level ball on the road.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

So now you want to subset the season, dividing it at the place that suits you, and look for trends based on a small sample? Bad idea. Two of those road losses aren't bad in my mind anyway. They got smacked in Seattle on a Monday night the week before a big showdown with Carolina (which they won). Weren't supposed to get that game and probably threw in the towel early. Another was the loss at Carolina in week 16. Saints outplayed them, outgained them 365-222, but got clipped in the closing seconds. Sh1t happens. One play goes differently down the stretch and we're talking about a Saints team that beat a better team than the Eagles in their last road game.

I don't know if they can play to the level they did in that game on the road again this weekend, but if they do they will win. They've at least showed as recently as week 16 that they can play high level ball on the road.
    Over the full season, the Saints put up 443 ypg at home, but only 355 yards on the road. On defense, they allowed 270 yards/game at home and 341 on the road. That's a net differential of about 155 yards per game in home vs away games. I don't really mind seeing a team be 3-5 on the road compared to being 5-3. As you say, shit happens. However that differential in yardage should be a bit concerning, with them scoring 17 or less in 5 of their 8 road games.

And regarding sub-dividing the season, how is it unfair to break up the Eagles first half of the season vs the second half? They were breaking in a new coach after a very long tenure from Andy Reid, and after some early growing pains, including a 1-3 start with Michael Vick under center, and two games in Weeks 7/8 where Barkley put up an 0/4 ratio on the way to two losses. With Foles in the game, the team has been substantially better, and the full-season team averages don't really reflect who the Eagles are right now.

IllyPhilly[DOC]
    IllyPhilly[DOC]'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7288

Also look at the Eagles record in home playoff games. I remember plenty Eagles Championship games that were lost here.

Black Hills
    Black Hills's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 544

Another thing about the Eagles second half of the season and the transformation from Vick to Foles was the turnover rate, so far He really takes care of the ball, the X factor is McCoy, He one of those guys you hate to be on the other side of...

jizay
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Over the full season, the Saints put up 443 ypg at home, but only 355 yards on the road. On defense, they allowed 270 yards/game at home and 341 on the road. That's a net differential of about 155 yards per game in home vs away games. I don't really mind seeing a team be 3-5 on the road compared to being 5-3. As you say, shit happens. However that differential in yardage should be a bit concerning, with them scoring 17 or less in 5 of their 8 road games.

And regarding sub-dividing the season, how is it unfair to break up the Eagles first half of the season vs the second half? They were breaking in a new coach after a very long tenure from Andy Reid, and after some early growing pains, including a 1-3 start with Michael Vick under center, and two games in Weeks 7/8 where Barkley put up an 0/4 ratio on the way to two losses. With Foles in the game, the team has been substantially better, and the full-season team averages don't really reflect who the Eagles are right now.
    Fair enough, but "who the Eagles are right now" is based on a relatively small number of games. They got their doors blown off by Minnesota in week 15. They were outgained by Dallas and Kyle Orton in week 17, and came very close to getting bounced. I know, I know, not at home. Still, so much of the discussion is focused on not being able to trust NO with Brees and Payton to be able to play a game on the road. Are we supposed to put more trust in a rookie coach and essentially rookie QB playing his first playoff game? The Eagles' inexperience is a bit of an overlooked angle here. At the same time, I think the Saints road woes are being over-emphasized, though you do make a good point about the yardage splits.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Prolly will stay away from the line. I am going to see what the LeSean McCoy O/U rushing number is. New Orleans road run defense isn't very good....and McCoy's not the guy you want to face when you struggle against the run on the road.

slacker00

So now you want to subset the season, dividing it at the place that suits you...
    You included games early in the season with Vick starting. Give me a break. You are criticizing yourself, not me.

jizay
    Update your status

You included games early in the season with Vick starting. Give me a break. You are criticizing yourself, not me.
    Whatevs. You are reading way too much into which "directions" the team is heading, which is probably why you didn't answer at all to the substance of the post. NO played damn well on the road week 16. They're capable.

Capper1124
    Update your status
    Capper1124's Avatar Become A Pro!

I feel the Eagles will win a close one here

slacker00

Whatevs. You are reading way too much into which "directions" the team is heading, which is probably why you didn't answer at all to the substance of the post. NO played damn well on the road week 16. They're capable.
    Yes, NO had an impressive loss week 16. NO will have another impressive loss Sat night.

jizay
    Update your status

Yes, NO had an impressive loss week 16. NO will have another impressive loss Sat night.
    So you're betting Eagles?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

ESPN is always behind the curve these days. It's like TMZ for sports. It's tabloid reporting.
    yeah espn will make you dumber they dont know a damn thing about sports

however Eagles win on saturday night under the lights
    Points Awarded:

slacker00 gave Big Bear 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

WWCD
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    WWCD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    yeah espn will make you dumber they dont know a damn thing about sports

however Eagles win on saturday night under the lights
    +1 sir