dave11486
    dave11486's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 777

McNabb Overrated?

I don't know about this guy. Not only does he get injured all the time, but I feel the media carries him further than he deserves. But what do you think?

dave11486

Pretty much everyone thinks this guy is the deal, but I think they may have been better off with Garcia. I really want to hear thoughts on this. I am not the greatest when it comes to analyzing NFL talent, so I want to hear people's opinion.

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is injury prone,but I think I would rather have him than Garica

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

dave, if you were putting together a team, and didn't have to factor age in (not that 30 is a problem), how many QBs would you take ahead of this guy?

Obviously alot if GARCIA is on that list... but I'm curious.

I can't think of many. Peyton and Brady definitely. Palmer and Breez maybe. Thats really about it for me. I'd say he's a top 5 QB.

dave11486

QBs are so tough to call b/c who says that McNabb would be any good on most other teams. I just think it is funny how the Eagles were not playing well early in the season and then McNabb goes down. Garcia steps in and they win and play extremely well. I just have a hard time believing it is just a coincidence.

More QBs to add to the mix (not necessarily better than McNabb, but I'd rather have the reliability as well):

Bulger
    Favre

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Black QB's, probably because of genes, are more inclined to run. Young, Culpepper, Vick, and to a lesser extent McNabb. But that type of focus on the QB tends to take away from the team. The rest of the offense just doesn't get enough opportunity to grow with any type of consistency. Take the QB out and the results are often surprising. Brad Johnson did well for Minny (previous season; may have already blurred in my mind), Garcia did great for McNabb, etc. Why? Because the other players are allowed out of the straight jacket that they were in because of having to accommodate the superstar QB.

So is McNabb overrated? Depends on where you rated him in the first place. He was good with TO, because of the double threat. But for picking apart a defense there are better guys out there.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 03-02-07 at 03:11 PM.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dave11486 View Post
    QBs are so tough to call b/c who says that McNabb would be any good on most other teams. I just think it is funny how the Eagles were not playing well early in the season and then McNabb goes down. Garcia steps in and they win and play extremely well. I just have a hard time believing it is just a coincidence.

More QBs to add to the mix (not necessarily better than McNabb, but I'd rather have the reliability as well):

Bulger
    Favre
    You're right; it wasn't coincidence.

It was a team that with McNabb got comfortable. Realized they had a star player that could make big plays for them. Subconciously, they weren't kicking their games to the next level.

In order to compensate for the loss of him when Garcia came in, they all kicked their games into overdrive. You see it all the time, teams that gel and kick it up when they lose their best player. Everyone tries harder to shoulder the load.

It is not McNabb's fault that he is so much better than Garcia that he lulled his team into a false sense of security.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Garcia would come back now with the Eagles he wouldn't look as good. Opponents would be much more prepared. There seems to be a window of opportunity for experienced QB's (on a new team) when opponents don't have a lot of film on him yet (on that team).