Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wade Phillips to be named Cowboys head coach

Wade Phillips will be named Dallas' new head coach. Phillips leaves his post as San Diego defensive coordinator for his third head coaching position.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He sucks..

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

I see him as being a stopgap until Jerry gets the big name he really wants.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just what the NFL needs another retread type coach.

I would have thought for sure that Turner would have beat out Phillips for this job.

anthon9283
    anthon9283's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm glad Turner gets to stay in SF having a 3rd OC in 3 years is ugly for a young QB.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Sorry Cowboy fans. Just ask the Bills fans how good this guy is.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, I think everyone here will admit to Phillips knows exactly what to say in his interviews. Why else would Jerry Jones hire a retread like Wade when he hasn't ever won a playoff game.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

How do you think this will affect SD chargers

zoneblitz
    zoneblitz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wade Phillips: B-O-R-I-N-G

Another old, retread coach who cant win a playoff game. Jerry hired him to mind the store until a big-name coach is available such as Cower.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

He'll be out within two years which is great because I loathe Dallas with a passion. I was really surprised they didn't just promote an assistant for a year and then go hard after Cowher. I'd still take odds on Cowher getting a call in a couple years if he's still available though.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

It doesn't really matter who Dallas plugs in as head coach, the team will continue to flounder around .500.

The real question is whether a self-respecting head coach like Cowher will ever take a job in Dallas. Personally, I don't think so.

Phillips really was the correct choice here, since Jones seems to be grooming Jason Garrett as the eventual head coach in Dallas, for whatever reason. Give Phillips 1 or 2 years until Garrett is ready, then Phillips gets the boot. This is a pseudo-interim situation anyway. Phillips has shown to be a workable interim head coach. Plus, he should be able to most seamlessly continue the progress on defense that Parcells started. Garrett running the offense should be the main point of interest, especially since Phillips didn't really choose him as part of his staff, but also since Garrett is very unproven as an NFL OC.

zoneblitz

Garrett is not ready to call plays, so the offense will be a disaster. Hopefully Phillips can get the defense to perform at a level so the offense does not have to score a lot of points to win a game. But that is not an ideal situation for a team aspiring for the playoffs.

Give Phillips a couple of years and he and Garrett will be gone and Jerry will call Cower in. By that time Cower will be bored with "retirement" and ready to coach again.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I agree, and I also hate Dallas with a passion. At least rooting against Parcells, you knew it wouldn't be easy to keep him down and out every year. Wade Phillips? Don't even need to follow Dallas anymore. I could see them falling to 6-10 real quick and Phillips out after one year. But his MO is to hover around .500, so he might get 2 years.

Best move Denver made was firing this guy after two seasons and bringing in Shanahan. I don't think Buffalo misses him either.

Terrible, terrible hire.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    He'll be out within two years which is great because I loathe Dallas with a passion. I was really surprised they didn't just promote an assistant for a year and then go hard after Cowher. I'd still take odds on Cowher getting a call in a couple years if he's still available though.

zoneblitz

Phillips wont last more than a couple of years at the most. He will be liked by the Dallas media as he will be more accessible than Parcells was. Parcells was an a-hole and would not let the media interview the assistant coaches. Phillips will allow this, thus the local media will love him.

But Phillips and Garrett will be like Campo, nice guys, but not winners. Bad hire is right.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Belichick also does not allow assistants to talk to the media. I don't think that's a bad policy. More people talking means less coaching. Don't know if Mangini, Crennel or Payton follow the same script, since they were trained by the two Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by zoneblitz View Post
    Parcells was an a-hole and would not let the media interview the assistant coaches. Phillips will allow this, thus the local media will love him.

But Phillips and Garrett will be like Campo, nice guys, but not winners. Bad hire is right.

zoneblitz

I cant decide if Wade Phillips looks more like Captain Kangroo or a Bill Parcells starter kit without the man breasts.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by zoneblitz View Post
    I cant decide if Wade Phillips looks more like Captain Kangroo or a Bill Parcells starter kit without the man breasts.
    I am making this post of the week.