MobFade
    MobFade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 987

Seattle weaknesses that Atlanta should exploit

1. In the last two games, they have shown their susceptibility to the blitz. Russell Wilson is not as effective scrambling from speedy linebackers or DB's as bigger DE's. Both the Rams and Skins were able to pressure him consistently and he wasn't able to burn either team on a regular basis. I would hazard a guess that he wasn't able to find anyone underneath because his receivers aren't getting much separation. I'm not sure if they have the personnel, but if the Falcons can dial up consistent pressure with 5 or 6, it could be a long day for the Seattle offense.

2. Aside from a few huge days this year, Seattle can't generate consistent pressure. Clemons getting hurt at the end of the Washington game is not helping anything as they had to bring in rookie Irvin in the LEO. He has been great in the sack category, but is ONLY asked to rush the passer in 2nd and long and 3rd down situations. Seattle plays 330 lb Red Bryant at DE in base to 2-gap and help in run support, relying exclusively on Clemons and coverage to pick up sacks on 1st down and 2nd and short situations. They generate zero pressure from the inside in the same situations, so Matt Ryan could be throwing from a very clean pocket next Sunday.

3. The Seahawks have been gashed in the run game a few times this year. Before RG3 re-aggravated his knee, everyone saw how effectively Washington was able to run both inside and out against the Hawks. This is mainly attributed to the LB corps with Wagner still adjusting to the NFL. Outside, Seattle has been better than in recent years with better speed on the outside and the CB's (when not in fist fights) helping in run support, but playing Red on the edge is a liability at times in this situation. I also don't know this for sure, but I think Red Bryant is battling injury, as I saw him get blown off the line of scrimmage a few times against the Skins.

For the Atlanta game, Michael Turner is a complete bum and won't get 50 yards on the ground, but Quizz could be a factor in the screen game or running outside the tackles. Atlanta won't be picking up much chunk yardage on the outside, so exploiting Seattle's linebackers with Quizz and Gonzo is their best shot at finding consistency on offense.

DirtyBird1500
    DirtyBird1500's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

In regards to your first point, the Falcons have done a nice job against some teams disguising blitzes and lining up in some odd formations that have really confused QBs. I would love to think that with two weeks to gameplan (only knowing your opponent for one week of that of course) that Mike Nolan would be able to come up with something.

The Falcons D certainly isnt the best around, but they are far better than they have been in years past.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

I think Matt Ryan is going to be all over Gonzo. Dirk calls a conservative game that helps his QB move the chains and have success. They pick their spots when they want to attack. I expect a good game plan from Atlanta.

On defense I saw the redskins have the OLB play the RB on the read option and they had the SS close enough to go for the QB and stop him at the LOS. I wouldn't say Reed Doughty was quite in the box but he was in the playing field. It worked.

MobFade

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    I think Matt Ryan is going to be all over Gonzo. Dirk calls a conservative game that helps his QB move the chains and have success. They pick their spots when they want to attack. I expect a good game plan from Atlanta.

On defense I saw the redskins have the OLB play the RB on the read option and they had the SS close enough to go for the QB and stop him at the LOS. I wouldn't say Reed Doughty was quite in the box but he was in the playing field. It worked.
    Ya I saw this as well and forgot to mention it. Washington just demonstrated a way to beat the read-option for now. Crash your DE to stop the RB and bring a DB or OLB down to get the QB. If ATL does this, maybe it gets exploited by a quick out to the TE or slant to a WR. I think ATL has to do this to stop the read-option, but I think if it's properly prepared for by Seattle, bringing someone from your back-7 down to spy the QB is a recipe for getting burned with how effective RW is throwing the ball on the run.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Seattle had trouble with that zone blocking scheme

MobFade

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Seattle had trouble with that zone blocking scheme
    And in those situations, I think it's the responsibility of your front 4 to collapse running lanes, your DE's to contain, and your LB's to step up and make plays. Seattle HAS been gashed at some point in this chain of responsibility, and I think ultimately it falls on the young LB's.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Quote Originally Posted by MobFade View Post
    1. In the last two games, they have shown their susceptibility to the blitz. Russell Wilson is not as effective scrambling from speedy linebackers or DB's as bigger DE's. Both the Rams and Skins were able to pressure him consistently and he wasn't able to burn either team on a regular basis. I would hazard a guess that he wasn't able to find anyone underneath because his receivers aren't getting much separation. I'm not sure if they have the personnel, but if the Falcons can dial up consistent pressure with 5 or 6, it could be a long day for the Seattle offense.

2. Aside from a few huge days this year, Seattle can't generate consistent pressure. Clemons getting hurt at the end of the Washington game is not helping anything as they had to bring in rookie Irvin in the LEO. He has been great in the sack category, but is ONLY asked to rush the passer in 2nd and long and 3rd down situations. Seattle plays 330 lb Red Bryant at DE in base to 2-gap and help in run support, relying exclusively on Clemons and coverage to pick up sacks on 1st down and 2nd and short situations. They generate zero pressure from the inside in the same situations, so Matt Ryan could be throwing from a very clean pocket next Sunday.

3. The Seahawks have been gashed in the run game a few times this year. Before RG3 re-aggravated his knee, everyone saw how effectively Washington was able to run both inside and out against the Hawks. This is mainly attributed to the LB corps with Wagner still adjusting to the NFL. Outside, Seattle has been better than in recent years with better speed on the outside and the CB's (when not in fist fights) helping in run support, but playing Red on the edge is a liability at times in this situation. I also don't know this for sure, but I think Red Bryant is battling injury, as I saw him get blown off the line of scrimmage a few times against the Skins.

For the Atlanta game, Michael Turner is a complete bum and won't get 50 yards on the ground, but Quizz could be a factor in the screen game or running outside the tackles. Atlanta won't be picking up much chunk yardage on the outside, so exploiting Seattle's linebackers with Quizz and Gonzo is their best shot at finding consistency on offense.
    You make pretty valid points. Your first two points are valid....however the last isn't. Seahawks are still pretty stout against the run, and lets not forget they kept Alfred Morris well under 100 yards today. The Falcons can't run the ball.....period. I'd be surprised if Turner and Quiz combined for more than 80-90 yards.

But yes, our ability to get pressure on the QB with our front four has been a problem as of late, especially on the road. Now with Clemons possibly out, it could become an even bigger problem. RG3 had all day to throw up until he got nicked up. And I agree, RW has to work on his pre-snap reads, and learn to hang in the pocket.

Should make for a good game. A lot of the Falcons strengths on offense play into the strengths of the Seahawks though. Then again, the Seahawks match up pretty well with everyone because of their balanced attack.

Should be a good game.

adila1401
    adila1401's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2486

Bottom Line, If Clemens is out and Seattle doens't get any pressure on Matty Ice, ATL WRs will eat those "physical" corners alive

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Sherman,browner,thomas will have a field day in the secondary Sunday. Seahawks will adapt ..Seahawks will hit them in the mouth ..their run game and read option will give atlanta fits...

MobFade

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    You make pretty valid points. Your first two points are valid....however the last isn't. Seahawks are still pretty stout against the run, and lets not forget they kept Alfred Morris well under 100 yards today. The Falcons can't run the ball.....period. I'd be surprised if Turner and Quiz combined for more than 80-90 yards.

But yes, our ability to get pressure on the QB with our front four has been a problem as of late, especially on the road. Now with Clemons possibly out, it could become an even bigger problem. RG3 had all day to throw up until he got nicked up. And I agree, RW has to work on his pre-snap reads, and learn to hang in the pocket.

Should make for a good game. A lot of the Falcons strengths on offense play into the strengths of the Seahawks though. Then again, the Seahawks match up pretty well with everyone because of their balanced attack.

Should be a good game.
    I think all 3 of my points are valid. The Seahawks have been middle of the road in terms of run defense this year. Now I'm not going to argue that Seattle hasn't had a top 5 defense overall, but the first game against SF and the first quarter against Washington has shown a weakness in their LB'ing corps against the run AT TIMES. Both of these examples come against top rush offenses when they run non-standard (for them) blocking schemes. San Francisco burned Seattle with the trap play when they had been dominating man-blocking, and Washington gashed them with the stretch when they expected the option.

I don't think that Atlanta will be able to capitalize on this weakness as Atlanta does not have a mobile quarterback, nor do they run anything exotic in their run game, but I think they COULD scheme Seattle with Quizz to get something going.

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very intriguing match up. Atlanta is going to have to blitz and take some chances leaving guys on an island to generate pressure. Russ and those WR's are going to have to make some plays down field

MobFade

In spite of all of this, I still think Seattle edges Atlanta in a shootout ... something like 28-24. It's going to come down to converting on 3rd down and in the red zone, and the turnover battle (just like every other playoff game).

I think Matt Ryan throws for 300, mostly to Gonzo and Roddy, as well as some after the catch yardage to Julio on slants and bubble screens. Michael Turner does nothing in this game outside of 1 or 2 runs for 8+. Quizz has a couple plays outside to convert first downs, but doesn't break off anything big. Gonzo goes 8 for 80 and Roddy is 6 for 100. Julio goes 5 for 50. Look for their 3-receiver to have a decent game as well.

As for the Hawks, I think RW does his standard 15-23 200 yards 2 TD, 50 Rush Yards. Marshawn gets his, going over 100 and the Seahawks revert to their regular season form converting in the RZ and on 3rd down.

Just heard that Clemons might have torn his ACL, so if you like Seattle, wait til they get to +3.

MobFade

If it's true that Clemons tore his ACL, look for Seattle to sign someone like Ray Edwards (cut from ATL) to come in on 3rd down.

Clemons might be the most underrated DE in the NFL, not only being a sack artist but being stout against the run. Irvin has only been asked to sack the QB all season, and has amassed 8 sacks as a result, but he doesn't have the size or experience of Clemons. This is a 1.5 point swing for Seattle, and should no doubt bring them to +3.

rockhardfister
    rockhardfister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Agree. Who is more physical than Roddy and Julio? You cant check these guys at the LOS.

rockhardfister
    rockhardfister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

I could see it playing out like that. A close game could go either way.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHAWKHARRY View Post
    Sherman,browner,thomas will have a field day in the secondary Sunday. Seahawks will adapt ..Seahawks will hit them in the mouth ..their run game and read option will give atlanta fits...
    This.

First real pop Jones and the rest of the soft Falcon receivers receive, they'll crawl into the fetal position for the rest of the game.

Same applies to this game as it did to the Redskin game.
    If the Seahawks are such the shitty road team people say they are and the Falcons are such the dominant home team, then why is this game a virtual pick 'em.

Run, don't walk to the mortgage company, take out another loan, load up on the Dirty Birds fellas, this one is a can't miss Falcon win.
    (For those with hangovers, the previous statement was 100 percent sarcasm.)

But if you want to chase your Redskin loss yesterday with the Falcons this coming weekend, who am I to stop you.
    Just don't cry to me a week from today, because I don't want to hear it.

DirtyBird1500

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    First real pop Jones and the rest of the soft Falcon receivers receive, they'll crawl into the fetal position for the rest of the game.
    You can't be serious about this.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

This is similar to the GB/SF game imo. The more physical team vs the finesse team w/the more explosive offense. Ryan is no Rodgers though and Atl doesn't rush the QB like Aldon Smith. I lean Seattle slightly but Ryan has all that playoff experience....even though its bad and RW won't be able to hear himself in the dome. I like GB much much better
    Last edited by Mr Handicapable; 01-07-13 at 10:47 AM.

MobFade

As for the SEA CB v ATL WR matchup, I think WAS not throwing at Sherman at all demonstrates that he truly is a shutdown corner. I think we have also seen that BB just isn't that great. Whichever of Roddy or Julio is lined up against Browner, or even in the slot which I'm sure we'll see a bunch, is going to have success, especially if SEA doesn't generate pressure.

Trufant continues to line up in the slot over rookie Lane and a guy that beat out Sherm last year before going down to injury in Maxwell. If Trufant has to line up in the slot against Julio, you're taking a safety out of the game because you have to double team that. I think Seattle has to play individual matchups in 3 receiver sets, and that still isn't even accounting for Gonzo.

DirtyBird1500

As for the SEA CB v ATL WR matchup, I think WAS not throwing at Sherman at all demonstrates that he truly is a shutdown corner. I think we have also seen that BB just isn't that great. Whichever of Roddy or Julio is lined up against Browner, or even in the slot which I'm sure we'll see a bunch, is going to have success, especially if SEA doesn't generate pressure.

Trufant continues to line up in the slot over rookie Lane and a guy that beat out Sherm last year before going down to injury in Maxwell. If Trufant has to line up in the slot against Julio, you're taking a safety out of the game because you have to double team that. I think Seattle has to play individual matchups in 3 receiver sets, and that still isn't even accounting for Gonzo.
    Yeah exactly, shutdown one of Julio or Roddy all you want, then you have the best TE to ever live to deal with as well. Not to mention Quizz coming out of the backfield as a check down option. The SEA defense is great and it should be a good matchup, but to think that their secondary will just shut down the Falcons passing game with no problem is crazy.

freakydave
    freakydave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

I am not trying to flame anyone but can some of you atlanta fans explain how a team that is ranked 23rd against the pass (total yards) & 21st vs the run while only playing 2 teams that made playoffs is going to beat anyone???
    Seattle played 5 games in the reg season against playoff bound teams ( & washington) scoring 412 pts while atl scored 419 pts --that's one TD difference.While Defencively Seattle gave up 245 pts & atlanta 299 while playing weaker competition.
    I would like serious response Seattle seems like the right play to me.

NOboy
    NOboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

imo, atlanta's defense reminds me of the past few SB winners....bend but dont break, and create turnovers. they get moore back, abraham, samuels, and robinson are expected to play. seattle lost chris clemons, their best pass rusher. next up, bruce irvin with 8. after him, no one has more than 3. seattle has a good secondary, but they have an underrated pass rush that came on late that helped that secondary be so good. huge lost and seattle with have a hard time getting to ryan. atl only gave up 28 sacks on the season as much as they passed this season. interesting matchup

MobFade

Clemons out with ACL is huge hit. He is the only player asked to rush the QB in base, and is also solid against the run. Irvin will take his spot, but Irvin has only been a situational player to this point, and is a marked downgrade to Clem. As for who takes Irvin's spot, that player isn't on the roster yet.

I'm liking Seattle less and less in this one. Could be that they run into an Atlanta buzz saw this week.

NOboy

Clemons out with ACL is huge hit. He is the only player asked to rush the QB in base, and is also solid against the run. Irvin will take his spot, but Irvin has only been a situational player to this point, and is a marked downgrade to Clem. As for who takes Irvin's spot, that player isn't on the roster yet.

I'm liking Seattle less and less in this one. Could be that they run into an Atlanta buzz saw this week.
    im sure a lot of people will be on seattle regardless due to their win streak, which i think is smokes and mirrors. a slumping chicago team, a horrible zona team, horrible buffalo team, st, louis and a 1 legged rg3. SF imo is their only impressive win. none of those team have a prolific passing offense like atl with 4 formidable receivers if you want to include harry douglas. and now they lost their best pass rusher.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by NOboy View Post
    im sure a lot of people will be on seattle regardless due to their win streak, which i think is smokes and mirrors. a slumping chicago team, a horrible zona team, horrible buffalo team, st, louis and a 1 legged rg3. SF imo is their only impressive win. none of those team have a prolific passing offense like atl with 4 formidable receivers if you want to include harry douglas. and now they lost their best pass rusher.
    And Atlanta beat who, exactly?

KC - wow
    Oakland, Philly - I am not worthy
    A Giant team that never got off the plane that day
    Barely beat 'Zona..........

You lost to Carolina, You lost to TB

Before you talk smoke and mirrors, look in the mirror

NOboy

KC - wow

didnt say atl played a weak schedule. we're talking about seattle's weaknesses here, im sorry for bringing up facts.

edit: lets see....seattle lost to arizona, miami, st. louis, detroit and sf

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by NOboy View Post
    didnt say atl played a weak schedule. we're talking about seattle's weaknesses here, im sorry for bringing up facts.

edit: lets see....seattle lost to arizona, miami, st. louis, detroit and sf
    I'm not talking streak, I am saying Seattle is probably the most physical team Atlanta has faced all year, and I personally think one or two early smash mouth hits to Ryan might throw him off his game.

Did you see the SF/Sea game, those hits were vicious, all game, SF didn't even want to play anymore half way through the third.

I am sorry for bringing up facts, too.

NOboy

better hope they find a replacement for clemons or else they're pass rush to get to ryan wont be so vicious. atl allows 8th least sacks this year. seattle has no pass rush outside of clemons and irvin. they rely on only rushing 4 to get to the passer and if clemons is out, there goes 11.5 of your sacks and a huge part of the pass rush

stevenash

I have no problem with Bruce Irvin filling in.

NOboy

he's been in ONLY on passing situations and is in limited action and never played a full time role. you're asking a passrusher to play on all downs now. im interested to see who and if they bring in another DE. their depth along the line is very limited esp at the DE position if im not mistaken

stevenash

Scruggs out of the Louisville

DirtyBird1500

KC - wow

I'd rather beat shitty teams then lose to shitty teams. You can't beat who you don't play. Seattle lose to Arizona, St Louis, Detroit, and Miami.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBird1500 View Post
    I'd rather beat shitty teams then lose to shitty teams. You can't beat who you don't play. Seattle lose to Arizona, St Louis, Detroit, and Miami.
    We can do this all week, game will be settled this weekend, I get it by your handle you are a Falcon fan, I can respect that, I respect loyalty from fans, so I wish you luck, I have no ties to Seattle, except I have them on a future.

Should be a good one, I like the points.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Who really cares what these teams did 3 months ago. Lets focus on Sunday's matchup. I think we can all agree that Seattle has had some bad looking road losses, and I think we can all agree that the Falcons weren't challenged much in the regular seaosn.

DirtyBird1500

I have no problem with Bruce Irvin filling in.
    How did that work out for you?

12 Last