thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

9ers auditioning kickers/serious question

could they sign a player who is done with their bowl game? sharp from ok st, hopkins from fla st, sturgis from florida all have great legs and their careers will be over today or tomorrow night in sturgis's case. its never a guarantee that a kicker or punter gets drafted anyways.

sweepem
    sweepem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14221

no. If they want one of those kickers they need to draft them in April.

They should stick with Akers, Cundiff and Medlock are even worse kickers.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by sweepem View Post
    no. If they want one of those kickers they need to draft them in April.

They should stick with Akers, Cundiff and Medlock are even worse kickers.
    why couldnt they sign them tho, they are no longer amateurs anymore?

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    why couldnt they sign them tho, they are no longer amateurs anymore?
    They have to go through the draft process.... Otherwise a team like Dallas could just throw money at Matt Barkley right now to fix their qb situation.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    They have to go through the draft process.... Otherwise a team like Dallas could just throw money at Matt Barkley right now to fix their qb situation.
    thats a different situation, because they dont have a game till after the draft. san fran is playing in 2 saturdays, kickers are never high picks and may not get picked anyways, not like they have a playbook or anything to learn. obviously they wouldnt be able to be drafted after this, but im curious if theres an actual rule against them signing a player whos used up his eligibility before the nfl draft for the current season.

oddtodd
    oddtodd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 734

I dont want to bother looking up the exact wording of the rule, but no you cannot sign someone just because they have graduated/are eligible.. its the whole friggin reason they have a draft!!

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Why do I get the feeling that bad kicking will cost GB and SF in the playoffs. GB should have cut Crosby after he shanked two in Indi. SF should have got rid of Akers when he missed the kick that led to the tie against the Rams.

As for SF, I'd probably just stick with Akers. Last thing you want to do is have a new player kick for their first time in months in the playoffs.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that bad kicking will cost GB and SF in the playoffs. GB should have cut Crosby after he shanked two in Indi. SF should have got rid of Akers when he missed the kick that led to the tie against the Rams.

As for SF, I'd probably just stick with Akers. Last thing you want to do is have a new player kick for their first time in months in the playoffs.
    i agree with you, they have to stick with these guys now.

thats kinda why i was bringing this up in the first place though, these guys all have just went through a bowl game and at least they have competed in a game recently.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by oddtodd View Post
    I dont want to bother looking up the exact wording of the rule, but no you cannot sign someone just because they have graduated/are eligible.. its the whole friggin reason they have a draft!!
    this is an unusual situation though, obviously it would never happen with regular players they would have no time to study a playbook. kickers rarely get drafted anyways, i think its more of an honor thing actually but i really dont think theres a set rule that you have to go into the draft if you are a ncaa player. guys have said occasionally i dont want to go to the nfl, i dont want to play for your team, trade me etc.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

You're saying college players should be allowed to go straight into unrestricted free agency before they've signed a contract? What's the point of a draft then?

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

And we all saw what a bad kicker did to a team last year....cough cough..Billy Cundiff.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: face

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I sorta get what you're saying. Kickers should have their own rules and not have to go through the draft because they aren't really regular football players, maybe they could also wear a golfers outfit as well rather than pads and team uniform, that would make sense to me. Interesting... Maybe they could treat it like the supplemental draft or something?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by 8ArIvd5 View Post
    You're saying college players should be allowed to go straight into unrestricted free agency before they've signed a contract? What's the point of a draft then?
    im not saying that at all. no regular player would ever do this, lets say houston was like "hey geno smith, you could help us". that would never happen, he wouldnt be able to learn a playbook in time and no one could just get thrown into the nfl playoffs and flourish. plus hes going to be a high pick and make a shitload in a few months anyways. kickers dont need to rest after the season, and dont have a playbook to learn, and also never get drafted very high if at all, so why wouldnt they take a job if it was available, or why should they be prohibited from doing so?

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes a USC QB will help matters,LOL

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Yes a USC QB will help matters,LOL
    Couldn't hurt Dallas, could it????

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    thats a different situation, because they dont have a game till after the draft. san fran is playing in 2 saturdays, kickers are never high picks and may not get picked anyways, not like they have a playbook or anything to learn. obviously they wouldnt be able to be drafted after this, but im curious if theres an actual rule against them signing a player whos used up his eligibility before the nfl draft for the current season.
    Where do you draw the line in the sand then? There are 18 teams at home for the playoffs..... Should the playoff teams then get to pick a kicker from any of those teams who aren't signed for next season? You are talking about free agency, which has specific timelines, one of which is after the Super Bowl.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Where do you draw the line in the sand then? There are 18 teams at home for the playoffs..... Should the playoff teams then get to pick a kicker from any of those teams who aren't signed for next season? You are talking about free agency, which has specific timelines, one of which is after the Super Bowl.
    no kicker is ever a guarantee to make a roster anyways really, or at least in very rare cases. even if they are drafted, they usually have to beat out the incumbent in the preseason. my point is that the 9ers brought in medlock cundiff and a few others who have been on the streets for the past few months. its really rare that a change would be made in kickers right before the playoffs anyways, i just think a young guy with no baggage would seem to be more likely to be successful then a guy trying to get over the ghosts of playoffs past (cundiff). like i said earlier, any other position besides kicker or punter this would never happen, would not benefit either party, in this case though, i think it could.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

to answer what you were saying about next season meader, they would definitely have to go through the draft process, then sign as a free agent with a team if they are not picked. my main point is that any of those guys could have helped the 9ers right now, and have no guarantee of anything in the future, you couldnt say that about anyone else in the draft. their amateur status is effectively over once their final college game is complete.

i just see that cundiff has been signed by the 9ers, and they will keep him and akers both on the roster for the first game, but i would like to see a firm rule on this, i searched and i saw nothing anywhere that prohibited this from happening.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post

I think Crosby will perform well in the playoffs this year. He's worked through his problems and gotten his head back in the game in the last two weeks. He's also been asked to kick a lot of long FGs this year as the offense has struggled to sustain drives, which is a much bigger problem for the Packers.

Akers is still struggling. Not sure what to make of him right now.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I think Crosby will perform well in the playoffs this year. He's worked through his problems and gotten his head back in the game in the last two weeks. He's also been asked to kick a lot of long FGs this year as the offense has struggled to sustain drives, which is a much bigger problem for the Packers.

Akers is still struggling. Not sure what to make of him right now.
    He had 2 nice ones in the dome last week, but his last 2 at home can't be giving him much confidence.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Players that are going to be drafted high are going to play for shitty teams. Why not sign with a playoff team before the draft and learn the playbook for next season? And if a kicker can skip the draft and become an unrestricted free agent why can't a quarterback or left tackle?

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is against NFL rules to sign a college hopeful without going through the draft process you dumb fukks..........