The Gray Cup

Any of you guys playing this game??

Montreal +7 +101 OVER 54 -105
    B.C. Lions -7 -111 UNDER 54 -105
    I'm liking Montreal +7 in this one.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Doesn't BC have a vicious defense? Under worth a look?

Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I am also liking Montreal +7 right now. Here's why...

-BC QB Dave Dickenson has historically had difficulty in big games losing the big one in 1999 and 2004. He has also been injury prone his entire career and is always banged up by the end of the season.

-Game is in Winnipeg (Winterpeg) so the weather could be a huge factor. In 1991 when the game was played there the game time temp was -21 degrees Celcius (approx -10 degrees F) but in 1998 it was a balmy 5 C (approx 40 F) so you never know what you are going to get. Being a prairie city, and the stadium located in a fairly open area, wind can also be a big factor. Long term forecast right now is showing a high for the day of 0 C (32 F) and a low of -11C (approx 8 F) with winds fairly calm at only 10 kph. Since the game is being played at 5 local time, we can assume that it will be below freezing by kickoff.

-BC plays its games in a dome and will be affected more by the weather than Montreal who play outdoors. Dickenson has been hampered by the cold in the past. Montreal QB Anthony Calvillo has fared better in cold weather games (oddly enough being born in LA from mexican parents).

-Montreal has the superior running game with Edwards who can grind the game out and wear down the BC defense. BC is more pass oriented which may hurt them if weather comes into play.

-Montreal has added incentive to win this one for popular (among players if not the media and public) Coach Don Matthews who had to step down mid way through the season with an undisclosed illness. Montreal turned their season slide around after this happened.

-Revenge is also a factor as Montreal lost the big game last year in heart-breaking fashion in overtime.

-And finally, Grey Cup games are traditionally very close with the past 8 games being decided by an average 6.8 pts.

My play is 2 units on Montreal +7.

As for the total, I am staying away from that. I think its right where it needs to be. But if pressed, I would take the under simply because of the cold. That will make the ball and the field slick.

This will be only the second Grey Cup game I have missed since 96 and its killing me. The game is getting too big for my budget and I just couldn't afford the ticket this year. I'll be there in spirit though.
    Last edited by Hulu; 11-14-06 at 04:06 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    Doesn't BC have a vicious defense? Under worth a look?
    You hardly ever see penalties in these types of games. So with that being said, I feel we will see alot of holding calls that won't be called. I'm thinking that should open up both offenses a bit more than people might think.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not into Canadian football, but I do know that BC has beaten Montreal twice this season, easily covering both times. Montreal will probably keep it closer, but winning against a team that has dominated you?

I will just play the BC-7 and MTL +7.5 lines that are available. Would prefer to bet the game live somewhere.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 11-17-06 at 04:29 PM.

Hulu

Montreal is now at +8 at some places. I guess the public is all over BC.

Yes the fact that they beat Montreal twice this year is significant but the cup is a whole different animal. Montreal had a strange season starting out 7-0 and then going into a losing skid that they only managed to turn around right at the end of the season. However, in the final regular season game and the eastern final, they looked much like the team that started the season 7-0. Add to that the fact that Dave Dickenson has a tendancy to look like a surgeon all year and then suddenly very average in the big game amd I am still liking Montreal to keep it close.

Also, game time temp will likely be around -5C (approx 20F) so that will help keep the game close by making the ball and the field slick (there is a lot of extra advertising on the field for this game and the paint is very slippery, I've played on it myself) and taking distance off kickers range. If the game comes down to a running battle, Montreal has the definite advantage with a big back in Edwards and a superb rushing offensive line.

I now have

2* Montreal +7 +100
    2* Montreal +8 +100
    1* Montreal ML +295
    Last edited by Hulu; 11-19-06 at 08:58 AM.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

BC wins 25-12. Chalk and under, defense prevails in championship spots as usual.

Hulu

Wow yeah I got killed by this one. Montreal should have covered here. Turning the ball over twice in the red zone in the 4th quarter is a horrible way to lose.

That fumble on the goal line was not a fumble at all, Edwards knee had clearly touched before the ball came loose. It should have at least warranted a review.

Oh well...lost 5 units on it but still ended up over 10 for the season. Sorry guys.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Montreal just flat out burried themselves in the first quarter. Oh sure they held BC to FG's, but you knew what was comming.

Hulu

Yes its true. Calvillo wasn't playing too badly but his receivers were dropping balls all over the place. Only Cahoon seemed to be able to step it up in the big game.

Also you have to hand it to Dickenson. This is the first cup game he's looked like a pro QB in. Scrambling for first downs with his wonky ankle too. The game pretty much went the exact opposite of the way I expected. Oh well, thems the breaks.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14485

It's G-r-e-y Cup BBD . . . get with
    the programme. These anglo-american spelling battles require
    that you get yourself centREd! LOL