McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Brett Favre should retire - hahah!

I know pretty much the entire board, save a few, were sold that Favre should have retired. I don't know how many people watch Packer games EVERY week (or watch them at all, other than national games) - but this is the best he's looked in about 3-4 years. It seems most who think he should retire only see highlights and MNF games, and that's it.

If you watch how he moves around the pocket, he looks as good as he did a decade ago. His accuracy is down a touch, something that goes w/ age, but damn, you cannot argue the way he's playing.

A turnover here and there by Ahman Green or Favre or Morency and that team is in the drivers seat to the wild card. I predicted 2 or 3 wins this year for them - and their schedule is not that tough the rest of the way - and they have 4! Unreal. I was sure wrong about that team, they are getting better every week.

You have to admit, even if that team is lacking talent - they are improving, and Favre is a HUGE reason for their success. The guy still has it, and I think people who said he should retire (especially polar bear Packer fans) should re-evaluate their opinion.

He's a once in a lifetime kind of player. And damn, he's still fun as hell to watch, even if they are a 'losing' team at 4-5.

They're doing better than I thought ATS this season, also. They've been a great bet on the ML.

primo_skillz
    primo_skillz's Avatar Become A Pro!

McBa1n,

I thought this was going to be another thread flaming Favre 'for how bad of a quarterback he is.'

I have had these thoughts this season as well. He still has a presence on that field. They are much better off with him than Rogers at this point.

Other than Chad Johnson's performance on Sunday, Donald Driver had an excellent day as well. He seemed to be swept under the coach as a receiver, but he's got class and potential.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Heh - It was just so 'in' to bash Favre pre-season. I love the guy.
    You're right about Driver. He's quitly had a great career with Brett. He's a class act all the way and one of the great NFL stories.

But the thing about Favre is this: He STILL makes players around him better. That's a very hard thing to do in any sport and only the best of the best can do that. If you look at that roster, they're easily bottom 5 - but they aren't playing that way. I know I shouldn't go crazy, but I think it's important to point out that everyone wrote this guy off just like Marino and Aikman (and Elway to some degree) - lets face it, I know we are here to talk about betting, etc - but you have to admit, there's few guys that are more fun to watch.
    I watch all the games, and he's still a must see for me every week.

primo_skillz

I am still not in love with their running back. Favre is able to open the field with his laser arm. But, if Green Bay had a real talented up-and-coming running back at their helm then I think they would be much better off. Who is their starting rb anyways? Green?

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I defended Favre left and right during the preseason, but I was shovelling a lot of dirt on the rest of the team. They've proven me wrong so far. I didn't have them at 4-5 at this point. One thing, they're healthier than a lot of teams right now. That helps. The rookies are actually playing well enough to win games, which is suprising the heck outta me. Granted, Jennings still has a lot of room for improvement, at least he makes enough plays to stay in as a starter. Driver is playing better than ever, even though I never thought he was an all-world WR. Spitz, Colledge are starting to fit as the cement between Clifton, Wells & Tausher. Henderson is as solid as ever, and the GB RBs still have some spunk. Bottom line, though, is that Favre is doing everything right to give the Packers the best chance to win week in, week out.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Ahman Green is their #1 back, but he's been hurt much of this season.
    To be honest, it's not on him... not even Walter Payton gets many more yards than Green (I think Tomlinson would struggle with that line, also). The problem is with 2 rookie Guards and injuries, at different times, to the starting Tackles - not to mention an inexperienced Center.

If you watch Green run when the line is playing well, he's as good as any back in the game, aside from Tomlinson.
    The game vs Minne was the Pat Williams show. GB had no answer for him - however, when they were able to cut him, Green was able to get multiple 5-10 yd runs. Williams is the best DT in the game bar none, IMO.

It isn't always the back, sometimes it's the line - in GB's case, it's DEFINITLY the line. But you have to watch every play to see what happens. Ahman has a lot of "Yards After Contact".

Carolina is a prime example of a team who's running game lags because of injuries to the OL. Their Center has been dinged up all year - and their RT has been done for the season since week 2 I think.
    Seattle, without Pork Chop Womack were a MUCH different running team (he was out 5 weeks I believe - they were horrible, for the most part, during that stretch on the ground). They aren't great now, but much better since he returned.

It's not always the back... But there are some exceptions: Read: Cedric Benson heh.

primo_skillz

These are some very strong arguments. I have never really understood the importance of having the best line in the game. Amazing RB's are always going to be able to find ways to break free from the pack.

I am not updated with Green Bay's injury report as of right now. I feel like they always have a shot on the ML. It is worth laying a unit on them week in and week out because they always seem to show up. I am not praising Green Bay; but I believe they are one of the more talented high school teams in the NFL.

McBa1n
    Update your status

lol, primo
    it's funny because it's true.