AUG 14: DENVER TO WIN OVER SF

Although no lines or game plans have yet to be released I am making my first official pick of the 2009 season with confidence based on the most likely scenarios.

The homecoming for Mike Nolan, as defensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos couldn't come at a better time. The Broncos, who will have players competing for many starting positions on the roster under rookie head coach Josh McDaniels, will be traveling west to face the San Francisco 49ers. Kyle Orton has been selected as the Broncos starting quarterback. He and Chris Simms will see plenty of work in order to become familiar with the new playbook for the first time against actual competition. Since the defensive line is one of the main concerns for Josh McDaniels and Mike Nolan at this juncture, I expect them to be blitzing early and often.

I am expecting Shaun Hill to get the start here for the 49ers, in his first preseason game start. However, Alex Smith is likely to get many snaps as Mike Singletary will be interested in evaluating the once defunct quarterback. However, the starting seats in San Francisco aren't anywhere near as hot as they are in Denver. The Niners have as many returning starters as virtually any other team in the NFL, and likely scenarios make this a classic match-up for week one preseason handicapping.