pro-style
    pro-style's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

12 men on the field loophole

Anyone else notice this possible loophole in the rules? The giants had 12 men on the field and they were penalized 5 yards, but time still came off the clock and left it at 0:09. Hell, you might as well play 15 people on the field so they cant complete a pass and can only accept a 5 yard penalty but still lose time on the clock.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SBRMAN23

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

This is actually a great thread.

You pointed out something that I have never though of before. That is a good idea.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i thought they had a rule where they put some seconds back on the clock. i guess not, i was definitely thinking about that, as time is sometimes more valuable than space in certain moments of the game

pro-style

This rule really should be changed to where time does not come off the clock, or the refs messed this up.

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Yea when it happen I was thinking the same thing brilliant topic they shud take a look at this in offseason

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

yep, do they put time back on the clock in college

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

a play never would of played out with anymore than 12 on the field

pro-style

Fair enough, but do you take 12 men on the field for a 5 yard and 8 second runoff when there is <30 seconds to go and 65 yards between you and a TD?

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

it should IF DECLINED ..... STOP THE clock if the patriots decline it AND tag on 5 yards.

or IF ACCEPTED... REWIND THE CLOCK back to what it was prior to the snap and tag on 5 yards.

rdkjglsk
    rdkjglsk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 368

noticed this as well when it happened, thought they would have put time back on the clock :/

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

major fukk up in the rule book.... reminds me of when desean jacksons taunting penalty cost philly a 50 yard pass earlier in the year because the defender was penalised on the play and therefore offset the play.... whereas it wouldve cost phill 15 yards from the spot of the deep ball if there was no defensive penalty, thus rewarding the defense for their penalty.

two major loopholes in the book

pro-style

Quote Originally Posted by 4TH AND STUPID View Post
    major fukk up in the rule book.... reminds me of when desean jacksons taunting penalty cost philly a 50 yard pass earlier in the year because the defender was penalised on the play and therefore offset the play.... whereas it wouldve cost phill 15 yards from the spot of the deep ball if there was no defensive penalty, thus rewarding the defense for their penalty.

two major loopholes in the book
    I wonder if the refs just got it wrong.

pro-style

Ideally I guess the offense should just snap it and kneel for a trade of around 1 second and 5 yards.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

There was a guy at C()^3RS who harped on this topic over and over about 10 years ago.

Lock Of The Aeon
    Fight fire with fire!
    Lock Of The Aeon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1007

They definitely should have put the time back on the clock. If there were 12 men on the field when the ball was snapped, the play should be null and void, and they should reset the clock to where it was before the ball was snapped. It probably wouldn't have made a difference, but New England got the short end of the stick on that exchange, whether they called it by the book or not.

CallMeMrOMac
    CallMeMrOMac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Coughlin definitely did it on purpose, and it was glorious.