bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

lienart signs with AZ. tonight

lienart gets 50 million over 6 years. they are saying that is the 2nd biggest contract signed in this years draft.

Utopia
    Utopia's Avatar Become A Pro!

He doesn't want to miss the fun season in Arizona

bigboydan

either that or denny green ripping him like he did motivated him to sign the contract.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Now that is money poorly spent.

Reggie Bush contract = great deal
    Matt Leinert contract = idiocy

Why not play hardball with this clown and let him sit out the whole season. He is not going to be an impact player this year anyway. In fact, he'll never be an impact player!

bigboydan

he's already in denny green's dog house, so unless warner gets hurt he's not going to start this year.

bigboydan

heres the details on this deal:

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- Even though Matt Leinart may have lost millions when he returned to Southern California for his senior season a year ago, he's still plenty rich now.

He also has some serious catching up to do with the Arizona Cardinals.

The 2004 Heisman Trophy winner ended a two-week holdout late Monday night and signed a six-year contract that guarantees him $14 million. It could also bring the rookie quarterback up to $51 million.

He was the last of this year's first-round picks to sign.

Announcement of the deal came hours after Cardinals coach Dennis Green sharply criticized Leinart and his representatives for turning down "a more than generous" offer.

Leinart was to join the Cardinals three days before the team ends its camp at Northern Arizona University and moves workouts to its practice facility in Tempe. Arizona plays at New England on Saturday.

The left-handed quarterback who directed USC to two national titles and a 37-2 record might have been the No. 1 pick in the draft last year. But he decided to remain with the Trojans for his senior season and unexpectedly fell to the Cardinals at the No. 10 spot in this year's draft, a tumble that cost him millions.

He was the first quarterback chosen in the opening round by the Cardinals in 19 years. That quarterback, Kelly Stouffer, never played for Arizona.

That wasn't going to happen this time, with the Cardinals riding a wave of fan support following the signing of free-agent running back Edgerrin James, the drafting of Leinart and the opening of their $455 million stadium.

Leinart was the second quarterback chosen in the draft, behind Vince Young of Texas, who went to Tennessee with the No. 3 pick overall. Quarterback Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt went to Denver at No. 11, one spot after Leinart.

Young signed a six-year contract worth up to $58 million, with $25.7 million guaranteed. Cutler signed a six-year deal worth as much as $48 million, with $11 million guaranteed.

Leinart's contract includes escalator clauses that boost his pay the more he plays.

He participated in all of the Cardinals' summer workouts so he's familiar with the offense. He'll still have to make up for crucial lost time if he expects to beat out John Navarre for the backup spot behind starter Kurt Warner.

"I think everybody knows that the more days you miss, the more games you miss, the farther and farther you fall behind and the harder it is to catch up," Warner said.

Green's criticism focused on what the coach said was far more than a 10th pick normally would receive. A grumpy Green was upset with the perception that Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill was being cheap.

"I've been here two years," Green said. "All I know is when we set out a strategy, whether it be signing Bertrand Berry or drafting Larry Fitzgerald, Bill Bidwill has helped us get that player."

He said the signing of James was the best example.

"Edgerrin James is as big as they come," Green said. "We had our powder dry and we got a guy who's been the most significant back in the National Football League over the last seven years."

Leinart's absence was magnified when Navarre threw two interceptions in Saturday's preseason opener against Pittsburgh.

Warner, speaking before the deal with Leinart was announced, said he understood Green's frustrations.

"Coach wants guys to help us win and Matt's one of those guys that's going to make our team better," Warner said. "That sometimes can get frustrating as players, as a coach, because so much of that is out of your control."

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cutler can't hold this guy's jock...

bigboydan

i wouldn't say that pags.

i think lienart will excel under green's system in a few years.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not sure that Green is a top coach, but the way the Cardinals are starting to shape up (for the coming years) is very impressive.
    A new era is about to begin in the desert. I've seen the new stadium, and it landed straight from outer space.

isetcap

One thing is for sure...this team will actually be exciting to watch for the first time in a decade if ever.

bigboydan

i'm just shocked to see bidwell spending this kind of money on his team is all.

bidwell has never put a nickel into any of his teams in the past, not even those great 70's teams he had.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    One thing is for sure...this team will actually be exciting to watch for the first time in a decade if ever.
    You got that right. There's actually a buzz going around the Cardinals this year.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Leinart looking very good so far in his first game.

bigboydan

Leinart didn't look all that great i didn't think DH. he went 4 for 11 after those first couple of passes.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

He looked great for his first drive. A two minute drill that resulted in the only Cardinal score. After that it was the usual Arizona mess. (See my suggested coaching changes. I started that thread because I felt protective of Leinart. lol).

For 1:09 minutes the Cardinals looked like champions. Leinerts first in the NFL... So that, to me, was an auspicious start to a hopefully stellar career.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-19-06 at 11:56 PM.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    For 1:09 minutes the Cardinals looked like champions. Leinerts first in the NFL... So that, to me, was an auspicious start to a hopefully stellar career.
    You're headed to Heartbreak Hotel, DH.