BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Rookie safety Donte Whitner finally signed with the Buffalo Bills on Saturday. The next step is seeing how quickly the No. 8 draft pick can begin competing for a starting job.

"I'm a little behind," Whitner acknowledged after signing a five-year deal and joining the team at its training camp site in suburban Rochester. "But once I get in, I'll be a quick learner."

He'll have to be because Whitner has plenty of catching up to do after missing the first eight days of camp, and with the Bills' preseason opener at Carolina on Aug. 12 fast approaching.

"I know he's eager to get going right now," general manager Marv Levy said. "Yes, he is behind and has a lot of ground to make up."

The former Ohio State star had been the top drafted player still unsigned and only one of three first-round selections not under contract.

Without disclosing financial terms, Whitner said the two sides met in the middle in guaranteed money after the player was seeking $14 million, while the Bills had offered $12.9 million as of Wednesday.

Whitner wanted to be paid closer to the $15 million guaranteed as part of a five-year deal safety Michael Huff -- the No. 7 pick -- signed with Oakland last month because the two play the same position. The No. 9 pick, linebacker Ernie Sims, received $12.1 guaranteed as part of a five-year contract with Detroit.

The deal, which was agreed to Friday night, came after Levy had referred to the two sides as being at "a stalemate."

"That's over with, full speed ahead," Levy said Saturday.

The Bills drafted Whitner with the plan for him to be their opening-day starter, a key addition to a revamped defense that finished 29th last season.

He's already missed 14 practices at training camp, including the team's lone session Saturday. Whitner did conduct a brief individual workout following practice, and is expected to be on the field Monday -- the Bills have Sunday off.

Whitner's development already has been delayed because he missed all but two of Buffalo's spring minicamps because of Ohio State's relatively late exam schedule.

"We have confidence in his mental and physical abilities, but it's hard to catch up because you just don't have the time," coach Dick Jauron said. "We've got a limited number of people so, when he comes in, we don't have 10 hours to devote solely to him."

Whitner's progress will be evaluated before determining whether he'll play against Carolina, Jauron added.

Six-year veteran Matt Bowen, signed by the Bills in March, has been starting in Whitner's place during training camp.

Whitner spent last week working out at Ohio State and noted he was studying the Bills' playbook. He said he also kept in touch with several teammates, including veteran cornerback Troy Vincent, last week.

"I'm just waiting for Monday to come," Whitner said. "It's just a matter of taking the reps and making the best of every one of them."

Whitner is a hard hitter who finished third among the Buckeyes with 73 tackles, adding four sacks and two interceptions as a junior last season. He helped Ohio State rank fifth in the nation in total defense.

Believing a deal was close, Whitner had traveled to the Rochester area before the start of camp July 26. But he returned to Ohio a day later after negotiations stalled.

To make room for Whitner on their roster, the Bills released reserve punter Joshua Brazen.