billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Injuries not to be overlooked from week 6

I am going to focus on some injuries that may be under the radar early in the week. We all saw Jason Campbell go down, Peyton Hillis miss most of the game. Most of us know Sam Bradford sprained his ankle and is in a boot.

Those of course will affect handicapping and line sets immediately. What I like to do is focus on injuries that may not get much coverage outside of local news. Feel free to add yours to this thread!!

Redskins

LG Kory Lichenstein is out for the year having torn an ACL. The Redskins will be moving forward with a revamped offensive line that will now feature Will Montgomery moving from center to the LG position. The Skins will move 6'6" Erik Cook to center. That is unbelievably tall for a center in the NFL. That position requires getting low and creating leverage. Not an overwhelming D-line matchup for the Skins this weekend with the Panthers but this may not be accounted for in the opening line.
    Keep in mind folks that the Panthers are trying a new wrinkle on defense. They ran 3 plays out of a base 3/4 defense this week and are contemplating adding that wrinkle to their defensive mix. They have recently signed a couple of behemoth DT's to do so. Their rookie linemen in the 4/3 have not been overwhelming.
    The new O-line configuration may not have time to adjust to this new wrinkle of plan for 3 packages this week.

Packers

CB Sam Shields is now in the NFL concussion protocol program after he got his bell run running around in the end zone after an INT. He is featured on a lot of nickle packages and sees a ton of action because teams scheme to avoid Woodson an Williams whenever possible. The Pack play the Vikes and likely Christian Ponder this week who is much more of a deep threat than McNab. Not a matchup that can make a dinged up secondary a key issue but totals players should consider this matchup.

Lions

RB Javid Best is now out with a concussion and may be several weeks. This was lost in all the coach brawl coverage. Best has had several concussions in the past an the Lions will err on the side of caution with him. Maurice Moore takes over and is a serviceable back and good reciever but not a big threat after his first cut. Best is a large part of that offense and is always a threat coming out of the backfield as a receiver. The Falcons this week may be able to commit more resources to pass coverage without Best to worry about, I will be watching their scouting reports this week.

Steelers

LG Doug Legursky dislocated his toe yesterday and may miss Arizona this week. The Steelers O-Line is already pretty dinged up with Chris Kemoeatu out yesterday. I will be following the line situation closely.

S Troy the Shampoo guy had concussion like symptoms in the 4th quarter yesterday. The Steelers are saying it is not serious but they may have to follow protocol. Keep a close eye as you never know with these things. They can flare up at any time after exertion.

More to follow............
    Points Awarded:

Love The Action gave billysink 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

robinhood
    Steal from the books, give to the poor
    robinhood's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow. Thank you sir! Great post

billysink

Browns

Strong Side Linebacker Scott Fujita is out with a concussion. With CB Joe Haden hurting that really puts a damper on the Browns defence. If Seattle off a bye has their no huddle offense in high gear the Brownies will be in trouble.

As mentioned RB Peyton Hillis hurt his hamstring and an MRI showed a small tear. The Seahawks are rapidly becoming a good run stuffing team anyway and I don't think any body the Browns start is going to have a big day.

Seahawks

CB Marcus Truffant is now out for the year. The 9 year vet was a cornerstone of the defensive backfield. He missed the last game against the Giants. QB Tavaris Jackson is still hurting and the Hawks are prepping as if Charlie Whitehurst will start. He did pretty well against the Giants. They will probably get starting O linemen Robert Gallery and Max Unger back this week as well.

feel free to add any injury to this thread!!

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Thank you...this is what sbr should be about....

billysink

Thanks LTA. I will be updating throughout the week.

fergie's balls
    fergie's balls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

great stuff, thanks.

billysink

Cowboys

Starting LG Bill Nagy is now out for the year. He will be replaced by the resigned Montrae Murray who reported to camp badly out of shape and was cut after the final exhibition. With the running game already in rough shape averaging only 3.39 a carry and now without Felix Jones this does not bode well for the Boys. They get St. Louis this week who actually limited Green Bay to 3 yds a carry last week. Any further injuries to the line will be significant moving forward.

Rams

Sam Bradford as mentioned has a high ankle sprain. A.J Feely will get most, if not all the reps in tomorrow's practice. Word around the locker room has it that Bradford will tough it out and does not want to miss the Cowboys this week. With newly acquired Brandon Lloyd and the imminent return of Mark Clayton there are more weapons available in the near future for Bradford. I hope he is OK. I think we can make a few bucks of off over inflated lines on the Rams if they can get their offense straightened out a bit.

more to follow.........

billysink

Quick update on the Steelers. Troy Polomalu passed his concussion test. O-linemen Chis Kemoeatu and Marcus Gilbert who both missed the Jax game are expected to return.

billysink

Texans

FB James Casey will be out again this week against the Titans. Arian Foster and the running game played poorly without him last week. Lawrence Vickers is in again and needs to improve greatly as a blocker for the Texans to succeed in Tennessee.

Bucs

Center Jeff Faine is out this week. Jeremy Zuttah moves from guard to center and Ted Larsen moves into the starting LG spot. Earnest Graham was the key to the Bucs win last week with well over 100 yds. rushing. The Vikes re-tooled their defense and were effective against AP and the Vikes. If Graham is held in check it will be up to Freeman to beat the Bears. He is not a guy I want to back without a run game.

youngsir620
    youngsir620's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Thanks for the updates, i was unsure about Bradford all week

billysink

Dolphins

Strong safety Chris Clemons was limited in practice this week but will try out his wonky hamstring on Sunday. Free Safety Reshard Jones is doubtful. CB Nolan Carroll is limited with a hamstring. The secondary has bee the defense's Achilles heel all year and will be in deep with only 4 days to prepare for Tebow.

The Broncos on the other hand are off a bye and fairly healthy. Rush end Elvis Dumervil is feeling the best he has all year. If he and Von Miller get it going at the same time it could be a long day for replacement QB Matt Moore. Denver head coach had Moore as the head coach of the Panthers for three years and knows him well.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by youngsir620 View Post
    Thanks for the updates, i was unsure about Bradford all week
    Latest word on him is that he has been fitted for a brace and will be a game time decision. He seemed to find one that he was comfortable wearing but has not practiced all week. A.J Feely has taken all the reps and by coaches accounts has a real good grasp of the offense. I am following this one closely. The USA Today report now has him as out. I am trying to confirm and will post.

billysink

Redskins

As previously mentioned the O-line is revamped. John Beck starts at QB. Target TE Chris Cooley is out for the year. Speed WR Anthony Armstrong is back in.

On the defensive side of the ball it looks like signal calling free safety O.J Otogwe will miss the game with a knee injury. He has not practiced this week. That is a big loss against a mobile QB like Cam Newton. Reed Doughty will step in. That is a big drop off. Doughty is much better suited at stong safeety and is no where near the player Otogwe is. CB Bryon Westbrook is also out and will be replaced by Phillip Buchanon who returns from suspension.

pacocn
    pacocn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Saints center announced his retirement Olin Kruetz

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Maurice Morris has played a good bit for Detroit in the past so hopefully he can get the job done. I think the Falcons win tho.

pacocn
    pacocn's Avatar Become A Pro!

What is the status of Andre Johnson Wr Texans?

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by pacocn View Post
    Saints center announced his retirement Olin Kruetz
    He has not played in several weeks and has not been healthy all year.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by pacocn View Post
    What is the status of Andre Johnson Wr Texans?
    He has been doing some light work but will not be ready until Oct 30 at the earliest. By accounts Jacoby Jones has really stepped it up in practice this week. He is a speed type and had 4 catches for 76 yards last week against a tough Baltimore secondary. Derrick Mason has had another week to practice with the offense. He came over from the Jets and played in his first week catching a couple of balls for first downs.

You can't replace an Andre Johnson with anyone but I think they have had some time now to get folks accustomed to new roles without him. I think they can open it up a bit more this week.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    Maurice Morris has played a good bit for Detroit in the past so hopefully he can get the job done. I think the Falcons win tho.
    Morris is definitely serviceable but does not require a "shadow" as is sometimes employed against Best. Best is a threat to gain a lot of yards after a touch. Morris is not.

If both DE John Abraham (hip) and DT Jonathan Babineaux (knee) can ever get on the field at the same time and stay there, that really improves Atlanta's chances at getting to Stafford. Those guys have not been healthy all year. I have read that they both can go this week and are feeling as good as they have lately.

billysink

Vikes

The defensive backfield is in HUGE trouble now. Their best cover guy Chris Cook is now in jail on domestic battery charges. Antoine Winfield who Cook had replaced is probably not going to play again. Starting safety Jamarca Sanford will miss with a concussion. Cedric Griffin who is playing poorly on a twice repaired knee will start with a bunch of under 5'10' replacements.

Good luck against the four or five wide sets and Aaron Rodgers.