Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Best Bets Saturday 10/1

Who do you guys like for Saturday?

I will track everybodies plays, so please make sure you post a line.

Also, I don't mind if you post parlays, teasers, or round robins, but these plays will not be reflected in the standings.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

For Saturday, 1 Unit Each On:

Florida St. -21
    Michigan St. -5
    Oklahoma St. +3.5
    Clemson -6.5
    Duke +6
    Marshall -11
    So. Miss. -7
    Tulsa -3
    S. Carolina +14
    Vanderbilt -14.5

Senator 7

MAB
    MAB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2798

2* Virginia Tech -10
    2* USC -16.5
    1* Auburn -13.5
    1* LSU -14½
    1* Notre Dame +3

Last edited by MAB; 10-01-05 at 12:24 AM.

DancingNancie
    DancingNancie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pittsburgh +1
    Michigan State -6 (-105)
    Virginia Tech -10½
    Texas -14½
    Clemson -7 (-105)
    USC -17 (EVEN)
    Kansas State +7 (-120)
    San Diego State +1½

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have you ever had one of those feelings like you just know things are about to go your way. That’s sort of how I feel about this week’s college football schedule. Though, in retrospect, we have posted some bad plays and been unlucky on some of our bigger plays, this week is not going to be like that. (We have never had three losing weeks in a row in any sport, so maybe that is why I am so confident things are turning around this week) Despite not having any huge plays, there are a lot of high-value lines on this week’s board, in our opinion.

NCAA Football Overall (39-53-0, -65.00*)
    NCAAF Sides (27-39, -57.30*)

6* Auburn -13.5 vs. South Carolina
    Jump on this one before it skyrockets even more. I got this at 11.5, and it continues rising, especially with South Carolina’s starting QB out for this game. This line is liable to close in the neighborhood of 15 or 16.
    We’re not sure the Gamecocks were going to be able to put more than 10 points on the board with QB Mitchell playing. Now, without him, South Carolina will be lucky to score against the solid Tigers D. In their last two lined games, the Tigers have given up a mere 3 points, and put up 91. In their other game, against D-II Western Carolina, QB Cox didn’t play, and Auburn’s starters played very little in a 16-point victory.
    South Carolina’s defense and special teams have been anything but impressive this season. Last week, Spurrier and company decided to start five new players on defense. The result was mixed; they forced five turnovers, but still struggled to stop a Troy offense that couldn’t move the ball on Auburn’s practice squad.
    Auburn has covered six of their last seven home games, and will be hungry for a win here. Tommy Tuberville has been waiting for his chance to beat up on Steve Spurrier. Also, RB Irons transferred from South Carolina, and will be inspired to get a win against his former team.
    Auburn 38, South Carolina 7

5* Alabama +4 vs. Florida
    We love defensive home dogs in the NFL, and the same applies here. The only reason the Tide aren’t favored in this game are a couple misleading finals. The Gators beat Tennessee by nine in a game they should have lost, but the Vol special teams made numerous gaffes. Meanwhile, the Tide dominated Southern Miss in every aspect, holding a 470-199 total yard advantage, but only winning by nine. They also got a bit of the look-ahead bug last week, and still nearly covered against Arkansas, eventually winning 24-13.
    Florida’s first team offense put up 49 points in the first half last week against a banged-up Kentucky defense that, even when healthy, was toasted by Louisville (no shame there) and Indiana. The same Gator offense managed only 13 first downs and under 250 total yards at home against a good Tennessee defense. Now they go on the road, and face an even tougher defense. In fact, the Bama D may be the best in the nation, having allowed only 13 touchdown passes their last 15 games.
    On the other side of the ball, Alabama’s QB Croyle, finally healthy, is enjoying the success everyone expected from him coming out of high school. He has plenty of options offensively, and can put enough points on the board to lead his team to victory.
    Alabama has covered three straight in this series, and Florida has only covered one of their past seven as a road favorite. Wrong team favored here.
    Alabama 20, Florida 10

5* Marshall -11 vs. SMU
    The Thundering Herd are coming in off back-to-back bad losses. We look for the Thundering Herd to bounce back this week, and they get the perfect opposition in SMU. The Ponies are absolutely horrible away from home. They are 3-14 ATS recently on the road, and have been outscored by an average of 50-10 in their last seven road games.
    In one of the worst offensive performances in recent memory, SMU failed to reach 65 yards either rushing or passing against a bad Tulane defense. Marshall has been struggling, but a blowout home win eases all the frustration they have pent up.
    Marshall 31, SMU 13

5* Texas A&M -22 vs. Baylor
    Do you remember Baylor’s shocking 35-34 OT win in Waco last year as a 25.5 point underdog to A&M? You can bet the Aggies do.
    Both these teams come in well rested, with A&M coasting to a win in a nearly empty stadium last Thursday against D-II Texas St, and Baylor having an off week. The Bears have certainly shown signs of improvement, but A&M is bigger, faster, and most importantly more deeper. Aggies QB McNeal has been hot recently, and has enough weapons to extract revenge in a big way.
    There are several trends backing this play as well. Texas A&M has covered 9 of last 12 against Baylor. They are 6-1 their last 7 games as a home favorite, and have covered 7 of their last 8 home openers. Baylor has only covered 9 of their last 29 as a road dog.
    Texas A&M 52, Baylor 17

5* UCLA -21 vs. Washington
    UCLA absolutely owns this series, to the tune of 8-0-1 last nine meetings. Bruins RB Drew ran for 322 yards and 5 TDs last year in a 37-31 road victory. So far, UCLA’s explosive offense has averaged 49 ppg through three games, and have as yet to commit a turnover. And it gets even easier this week against a Washington defense that hasn’t been able to stop anyone. They have already allowed over 200 yards rushing three times this season, and also gave up nearly 300 ypg in those losses. The defense makes enough stops against the inept Husky attack to get an easy cover.
    Washington hasn’t been good anywhere recently (only covering 3 of their last 14 games overall), but they have especially struggled on the road (2-9 ATS), and on grass (2-12 ATS). Meanwhile, the Bruins have gone 11-2-1 recently against the number, including six of seven at home.
    UCLA 59, Washington 24

4* Oklahoma -6 vs. Kansas St.
    Everyone seems to have written off the Sooners this year, and we are now getting serious line value with the far better team at home. Kansas St. ran for a school record 658 yards last week against a horrific North Texas defense, but won’t be able to find the same holes this week. Star running back Clayton is suspended, and a RS freshman will start in his place.
    Lost in Oklahoma’s loss at a very good UCLA team was the fact that their passing game has finally started clicking under new QB Bomar (20-29 passing), which will open up plenty of running lanes for Adrian Peterson. The Sooners also don’t have the same problem as Texas this week; they can’t afford to look past their game and towards the Red River Shooutout next week.
    Oklahoma 31, Kansas St. 17

4* Iowa St. +3.5 @ Nebraska
    I had this line capped at Iowa St. -3, and when I saw Nebraska -5.5, I was stunned, and happy to get such a great price. Now the line is down to 3.5, and with good reason. The odds makers have overvalued the weak performance of Iowa St. at Army last week. Iowa St. was in a horrible situation last week, coming off a big win over Iowa, and with this huge game to look ahead to.
    Nebraska hasn’t lost to Iowa St. at home in 45 years, but that changes this week. The Cornshuckers only put up 7 points in their last home game against a Pittsburgh defense that is no where near the level of this Cyclone D. In fact, Nebraska’s defense has put up four touchdowns, compared to the offenses’ three TDs. ISU’s offense, led by dual-threat QB Meyer, won’t be giving the Huskers the defensive points they need to win.
    Iowa St. 17, Nebraska 7

4* North Carolina -3.5 vs. Utah
    Last year, Utah was the better team, playing at home, and rolled to a 30-point win over North Carolina. This year the roles have reversed, with the Heels playing much better than the Utes, and at home with revenge.
    Much has been made of Utah’s losses on offense, but the defensive side of the ball is also rebuilding. QB Baker and RB Edwards went wild against a big-time defense last week at NC St., and it only gets easier here against a Utah team that has failed to cover in four games this season.
    North Carolina 34, Utah 20

3* LSU -14.5 @ Mississippi St.
    New head coach Miles and LSU are going to be anxious to get last week’s collapse out of their mind, and should do so by blowing out a Mississippi St. team they have dominated recently. Dominated is actually an understatement, as they have covered eight in a row against the Bulldogs. Mississippi St.’s rush defense has been solid, but have not faced the kind of opposition they will meet this week. Mississippi’s offensive line is among the worst in the nation, and the Tigers will take heavy advantage, and bring pressure all day to rattle unproven QB Connor.
    LSU 42, Miss. St. 14

3* Iowa -17.5 vs. Illinois
    Illinois let us down last week, but this is not a knee-jerk reaction to that game. After embarrassing losses to Iowa St. and Ohio St. on the road, the Hawkeyes are happy to be back home, where they have covered an amazing 16 of their last 17.
    The Illini gave up 705 yards last week to a versatile Michigan St. attack, and now face an offense that is eager to prove itself after being held to negative rushing yards at the Horseshoe last week. This is the ideal opponent to get well against.
    Iowa 48, Illinois 17

2* Arizona St. +17 (-120) vs. USC
    We’re going to let USC beat us one more time. Oregon moved the ball with ease early, but seemed to tighten up against the mediocre USC defense once they found themselves in the lead. The Sun Devils will make no such mistake. QB Keller has been absolutely astonishing this season. In five games, he has thrown for over 1,800 yards and 19 TDs. USC has owned this series (5-0 ATS vs. AZ St. recently), but Arizona St. has covered 9 of their last 11 as a home underdog. This one goes to the wire in a shootout.
    USC 45, Arizona St. 42

2* WVU +10.5 vs. Virginia Tech
    Virginia Tech has been favored the last three years in this series. Last year, the Hokies returned a blocked FG for a touchdown on their way to a 19-13 victory as a 3-point favorite. The two previous years, the Mountaineers pulled outright upsets. West Virginia has the rushing defense (only allowed 227 yards total in first four games) to force QB Vick to put points on the board through the air. That could be a problem, even for a team that has outscored their last three opponents 141-7. The host has covered 7 of the last 9 in this series.
    Virginia Tech 20, WVU 17

2* Maryland +3.5 vs. Virginia
    Virginia QB Hagans threw 5 interceptions in first two games, before a nice showing last week against hapless Duke. The Cavs offensive line is dealing with injuries, and now face a fast, talented Maryland defense.
    The home team has won and covered four in a row in this series, and Virginia has only covered 4 of their last 15 overall on the road. The Terps go looking for revenge from last year’s 16-0 loss, and get it.
    Maryland 24, Virginia 17

2* Idaho +2.5 vs. Utah State
    Despite being 0-4, Idaho should not be a home underdog to a Utah St. team that cannot run the football (1.7 ypr last week in home win). The host has covered three of the last four in this series, and Utah St. is struggling to cover against anyone. They are 3-12 ATS recently, including 2-8 away from home. Idaho gets their first win of the year on homecoming.
    Idaho 27, Utah St. 21

NCAAF Totals (12-14-0, -7.70*)

5* Iowa St. Under 37
    4* SD St. Over 54
    2* Alabama Under 47.5
    Last edited by Razz; 10-01-05 at 09:52 AM.

bigpig19
    bigpig19's Avatar Become A Pro!

+21.8* w/consensus partner
    +13.9* w/out consensus partner

No write ups, so here we go

6* Iowa -17.5
    5* Texas A&M -22
    4* Iowa St. +3.5
    3* UCLA -21
    3* Auburn -13.5

Totals
    2* BC/Ball St. over 53'
    1* FSU/Syracuse under 39
    1* michigan St./Michigan under 57
    1* Pitt/Rutgers under 48

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Good luck this week guys...i am taking the weekend off. Friend is coming from out of town. If i do change my mind (which in all likelihood I will)...I'll just play these games:

Iowa St +3.5
    Missouri +15
    Oklahoma -6.5

thref23
    thref23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, here's my shot in hell at winning one mil this weekend ($5 22 team parlay @ betus.com). 20 are college games

I'll probably narrow this list down partially based on others input over the next day or so and place a few smaller parlays as well. I don't follow college football much at all from a fan's standpoint, but two weeks ago I started to attempt to research college games based on schedule/stats etc, was 5/5 2 weeks ago think I was something like 7/11 last week

9/29/2005 2:42:59 AM

NFL Games Spread Result Total Result
    Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:00:00 PM (EST)
    Buffalo Bills 0 -- -- --

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:05:00 PM (EST)
    Green Bay Packers 8 -- -- --

College Games Spread Result Total Result
    Friday, September 30, 2005 8:00:00 PM (EST)
    Pittsburgh Panthers 0 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:00:00 PM (EST)
    Illinois Fighting Illini 18 -- -- --

Indiana Hoosiers 18 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 3:30:00 PM (EST)
    Syracuse Orangeman 21½ -- -- --

Maryland Terps 3½ -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 3:30:00 PM (EST)
    Clemson Tigers -7 -- -- --

Virginia Tech Hokies -11 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 2:00:00 PM (EST)
    Kent State Golden Flashes 4 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:30:00 PM (EST)
    Utah Utes 3½ -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:00:00 PM (EST)
    SMU Mustangs 12 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:00:00 PM (EST)
    East Carolina Pirates 7 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:00:00 PM (EST)
    South Florida Bulls 21 -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:00:00 PM (EST)
    Rice Owls 18 -- -- --

Western Michigan Broncos -10½ -- -- --

Houston Cougars 3 -- -- --

TCU Horned Frogs -2½ -- -- --

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:00:00 PM (EST)
    BYU Cougars -1½ -- -- --

Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:00:00 AM (EST)
    Hawaii Warriors 11 -- -- --

Arkansas State Indians -3 -- -- --

Vanderbilt Commodores -15 -- -- --

thref23
    thref23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alright, already narrowed my list down to 11 college games I feel particularly good about, I don't know how this "unit" thing works but I guess I'll put a unit on each?

ArkansasSt
    ULMonroe 10/01/05 (19:00 ET)
    ArkansasSt -3

BYU
    SanDiegoSt 10/01/05 (22:05 ET)
    BYU -1.5

Buffalo
    WMichigan 10/01/05 (19:00 ET)
    WMichigan -10.5

Clemson
    WakeForest 10/01/05 (15:30 ET)
    Clemson -7

MTennSt
    Vanderbilt 10/01/05 (19:00 ET)
    Vanderbilt -15

NewMexico
    TCU 10/01/05 (19:00 ET)
    TCU -2

Pittsburgh
    Rutgers 09/30/05 (20:05 ET)
    Pittsburgh +1

SFlorida
    MiamiFla 10/01/05 (20:00 ET)
    SFlorida +21

Utah
    NorthCarolina 10/01/05 (13:30 ET)
    Utah +3.5

Virginia
    Maryland 10/01/05 (12:00 ET)
    Maryland +3.5

VirginiaTech
    WVirginia 10/01/05 (12:05 ET)
    VirginiaTech -10

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

picks for sat. (so far)

College YTD - doing decent... I started adding up my selections made here... but, not being a math person, I got pissed off and quit with a new found respect for what illusion goes through everyday... thanks

LvHerbie's IYDBTYVVD GOY - Nebraska -3.5 (0 units)

I'm going to be front and say that I'm biased as hell (hense the no bet for me)... but, being the kind poster I am, I'm going to let ya'll in on this huge play... I have watched all three NU games and also both of ISU televised games and this game is a lock... First off, I realize that the majority opinion is that Nebraska has no offense.... actually the truth is that it is average+ ... nebraska has moved the ball fairly well in all three games but has been terrible (god-terrible) in the red zone... game 1 was their first with a new quarterback and dropped balls and turnovers stopped this from being a blow out.. at the second game the wind was very high and swirly and killed both passing and kicking... third game... well you get the idea... their defense is a huge plus and should be able to handle ISU's offense... we all saw Iowa st's D in the Army game so no need to describe that... with Nebraska off a bye week, at home for the fourth game in a row, and with the line falling like a brick I'm making this my LVHerbie's If You Don't Bet This You're Very, Very Dumb Game of the Year... Bet this game and you will be laughing like a freaking lunantic at the squares who played the other side on the way to the window to collect on a 35-10 blowout winner...

Oregon -7 (3 units - 1st 3* play this year)

LSU -14 (2 units)

Mich. +6 (1 unit)
    UTEP -3.5 (1 unit)
    Houston -3 (1 unit)
    Texas Tech -17 (1 unit)
    Last edited by LVHerbie; 09-30-05 at 11:30 AM.

LVHerbie

adding two games:

colorado -3.5 +105 (1 unit)

over neb/iowa st. 37 (1 unit) - since I can't bring myself to bet my own goy I'm making this play... (actually have bet against Nebraska before in big games in case they lose... $$$ seems to be the only thing that eases the suffering for me a little... anyhow, the point is that a no bet, in what I preceive to be a big game, is actually a big deal for me) all that said I can't stay away from the over in this game... 37 is a small ass number (smallest on the board this weekend...) This is all, I'm sure, from the public opinion that nebraska's offense sucks (okay they have sucked but it all changes this weekend (see above for the debuking of this) )
    Last edited by LVHerbie; 09-30-05 at 11:31 AM.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

bought 1/2 pt at cris took your top pick auburn (-14) line now at 14.5 still need at least 3 more games. Im kinda liking wv to cover against vt I remember these games are always tight. also like the under on alabama fla . any thoughts?

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

LVHerbie, you're not betting your Nebraska side? Why?

LVHerbie

I found out the hard way that if you follow a team to the point of being obsessed it's best not to bet on them... losing big money on a good bet is one thing... having your team lose is another... putting the two together makes for one bad weekend... thus my rule... don't bet on Nebraska... kindof a trade off between a couple units of expected value for a couple units of sanity... kindof like betting on your kid's teeball game...(actually I made bets on my six year old neice's soccer games... but I'm drifting off topic here...) anyhow, the point is that it's hard to be a good responsible parent when your brat is in the outfield picking dandelions and you're sweating the over... you know what I mean? ;-)

thus GOY neb. -3.5 (0 units)

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie
    anyhow, the point is that it's hard to be a good responsible parent when your brat is in the outfield picking dandelions and you're sweating the over... you know what I mean? ;-)

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Iowa State +4
    Iowa -18
    Penn State +2 1/2 (waiting to put this one in to see if she gets to 3)
    Notre Dame +3 1/2

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

all 3 units
    alabama/fla u 47
    auburn (-14) bght .5 pt @ cris
    west virginia (+9.5)

fwiw: also had rutgers last night @ (-1.5) over pitt
    Last edited by HAPPY BOY; 10-01-05 at 08:02 AM.

LVHerbie

this is turning into a big card for me... hope it turns out good...

three more gameday plays (all one units)-

Duke +6 -105 (bodog)
    Hawaii +10.5 -105 (bodog)
    Oregon -1.5 -106 (pinnacle)

Previous picks

LVHerbie's GOY (see above) - Nebraska -3.5 (O units)

Oregon -7 (3 units)

LSU -14 (2 units)

Mich. +6 (1 unit)
    UTEP -3.5 (1 unit)
    Houston -3 (1 unit)
    Texas Tech -17 (1 unit)
    colorado -3.5 +105 (1 unit)
    over neb/iowa st. 37 (1 unit)

looking at a couple plays tonight but waiting for line changes... kindof hoping that I'm wrong on the line changes because I don't like playing this many games...

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Illinois+19.5 (1 unit)

Mich St -6 (1 unit)

spanky
    spanky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

spanky

hi everybody here's my picks for today.

maryland +3
    wake forest +6.5
    iowa st. +3.5
    alabama +3
    penn st. +2.5
    utah +4
    e.carolina +7
    houston +3
    s.j.+4
    army +11

good luck guys

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Minnesota -1.5 *** Best Bet***
    Nebraska -3.5
    Maryland +3

moses millsap

North Carolina -5
    Nebraska -4
    Miami Florida -21
    Boise State -10
    Louisville -21.5 (1st Half)

why
    why's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies -120, @ canbet
    Red Sox +1 1/2, -119 @ pinnacle

Illusion

Wyoming -19.5

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Adding three more picks 1 unit each
    Fl St under 42
    USC -14.5
    Iowa St +5

David
    David's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13444

Notre Dame +3.5 -111

Todd
    Todd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Boise State -10

Illusion

Notre Dame +3.5

Illusion

Yesterday's results:

HAPPY BOY: 1-0 +3.00
    Illusion: 2-0 +2.42
    Razz: 2-1 +2.00
    Todd: 1-0 +1.00
    stump: 3-2 +0.12
    EBone: 1-2 -0.71
    LVHerbie: 1-1 -1.00
    newb411breaker19: 0-1 -105
    WHY: 0-2 -2.00
    David: 0-2 -2.51
    denn333: 0-1 -5.00
    DancingNancie: 0-5 -6.48

Illusion

Tonight's results:

LVHerbie: 8-2 +8.80
    MAB: 4-1 +2.80
    HAPPY BOY: 2-1 +2.70
    Illusion: 2-0 +2.00
    clonecat: 3-1 +1.90
    David: 1-0 +1.00
    kdmfox: 2-1 +0.90
    Razz: 10-7 +0.00
    why: 1-1 -0.19
    OWNED: 2-2 -0.20
    spanky: 5-5 -0.50
    BuddyBear: 1-2 -1.20
    DancingNancie: 3-5 -2.40
    Mr Nuts: 0-5 -5.50
    Senator7: 2-8 -6.80
    bigpig19: 2-7 -9.70

LVHerbie

Illusion was actually 9-3 (+7.75 I think...) Oregon -1.5 -105 was actually suppose to be Oregon St. with Duke, Texas Tech, and UTEP being the lost games...