jrm1622
    jrm1622's Avatar Become A Pro!

Picks for Thursday preseason week 1

Hi.

Last season was the first one I decided to bet seriously on both NFL and NCAA Football. My season started poorly but got real good after week 6 of the pros. No bragging here but I was able to make some serious cash.

Now pre-season is starting and I have no experience on this type of games, however I have been studying about pre-season handicapping both on the internet and I book I got I highly recommend:

Anyways, I know its important to focus on different things than the ones I usually look for during the regular season.

I would like to share the picks I'm having for thursday and comment with u more experienced guys. Also I'm having trouble with over/under in preseason, so I would love to get some advise.

Thanks!

Baltimore Ravens
    Philadelphia Eagles -3

I'm taking the eagles because I think that while the Ravens have nothing to prove and have lost their key receivers (Mason and Heap), The Eagles really need to get Vick going for the season. He missed most games last year and ended his season in an awful fashion, The eagles got rid of Kolb, and I think they need for Vick to prove his worthy.

Seattle Seahawks
    San Diego Chargers -3.5

I love the chargers for this game. They played the most impressive football last season on both sides of the ball, however they were unable to stay constant and saw a lot of games and the post-season slip through their fingers. Now I believe their coach would like to get them ready to exploit their numerous weapons.

Denver Broncos
    Dallas Cowboys -3

Jason garret will start the season as head coach for the first time in his career. He is in the most hyped team in the league and he has a lot to prove. I doubt Romo will see a lot of snaps but Kitna has proven to be able to get the job done, with spots to be determined on the RB position I believe the cowboys will have a lot of motivation to give a good game

Arizona Cardinals +3.5
    Oakland Raiders

I'm taking the cardinals here. Kevin Kolb has just arrived and I believe the cardinals' coaching staff will have every reason to see if he can get in sync with Larry Fitzgerald, specially against a poor Raiders Defense.

I'm passing on the patriots game, I just don't know what to think.
    Last edited by Illusion; 08-09-11 at 08:54 PM.

Viperpiper
    Viperpiper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 703

patriots!

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Remember that these are preseason games:
    Andy Reid during his tenure with Phi is 5-8 week one of preseason and 18-30 throughout preseason. Vs. John Harbaugh who is 3-0 first week of preseason and 8-4 throughout.

In addition to this, Vick had some injury trouble last season. Do you really think that Reid is going to keep him in that much during the first week of the season? Do you really think that after winning the division last year that vick needs to prove his worth? The ravens losing big receivers helps them in preseason games because they need to test out the batch of guys replacing those key receivers.

I'm going with Baltimore, but it is a preseason game so anything is possible

Not sure on the other two, but with you on Az +3.5

JosephPavs
    JosephPavs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Very bad point for preseason not trying to be harsh but you are talking about starters who are going to play one series look at the backups and depth

BayArea888
    BayArea888's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5860

i am liking arizona plus points as well. not sure about the others...

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Not so sure on Ari after a second look. RLM is serious on this game. 67% on Arizona and the line moves from 3 to 4 and back to a heavy juiced 3.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

that patriots game is hard to cap. Perhaps mallet will play most of 2nd quater. Andy reid doesnt care about preseason but having VY (learning the system and plays) and kafka. While Bulger retired so there's not a lot of depth at the qb position but ravens D is always good

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by jrm1622 View Post
    Hi.

Last season was the first one I decided to bet seriously on both NFL and NCAA Football. My season started poorly but got real good after week 6 of the pros. No bragging here but I was able to make some serious cash.

Now pre-season is starting and I have no experience on this type of games, however I have been studying about pre-season handicapping both on the internet and I book I got I highly recommend:

Anyways, I know its important to focus on different things than the ones I usually look for during the regular season.

I would like to share the picks I'm having for thursday and comment with u more experienced guys. Also I'm having trouble with over/under in preseason, so I would love to get some advise.

Thanks!

Baltimore Ravens
    Philadelphia Eagles -3

I'm taking the eagles because I think that while the Ravens have nothing to prove and have lost their key receivers (Mason and Heap), The Eagles really need to get Vick going for the season. He missed most games last year and ended his season in an awful fashion, The eagles got rid of Kolb, and I think they need for Vick to prove his worthy.

Seattle Seahawks
    San Diego Chargers -3.5

I love the chargers for this game. They played the most impressive football last season on both sides of the ball, however they were unable to stay constant and saw a lot of games and the post-season slip through their fingers. Now I believe their coach would like to get them ready to exploit their numerous weapons.

Denver Broncos
    Dallas Cowboys -3

Jason garret will start the season as head coach for the first time in his career. He is in the most hyped team in the league and he has a lot to prove. I doubt Romo will see a lot of snaps but Kitna has proven to be able to get the job done, with spots to be determined on the RB position I believe the cowboys will have a lot of motivation to give a good game

Arizona Cardinals +3.5
    Oakland Raiders

I'm taking the cardinals here. Kevin Kolb has just arrived and I believe the cardinals' coaching staff will have every reason to see if he can get in sync with Larry Fitzgerald, specially against a poor Raiders Defense.

I'm passing on the patriots game, I just don't know what to think.
    That's too many favorites for preseason. The only favorite I have confidence in this week as of right now is Atlanta.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Does anyone have a list of 2nd and 3rd string QBs for the Thursday games? appreciate any info.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

I think preseason games are basically a toss up.

Sambooka
    Sambooka's Avatar Become A Pro!

On Pre-season, Isn't it better to bet only the first half? being that second half will be mostly second and third string quarterbacks?

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    Remember that these are preseason games:
    Andy Reid during his tenure with Phi is 5-8 week one of preseason and 18-30 throughout preseason. Vs. John Harbaugh who is 3-0 first week of preseason and 8-4 throughout.

In addition to this, Vick had some injury trouble last season. Do you really think that Reid is going to keep him in that much during the first week of the season? Do you really think that after winning the division last year that vick needs to prove his worth? The ravens losing big receivers helps them in preseason games because they need to test out the batch of guys replacing those key receivers.

I'm going with Baltimore, but it is a preseason game so anything is possible
    Not to sway you from your play, but I am a Ravens fan. The main difference this year than in years passed is that we do not have a true backup QB... Tyrod Taylor will take most of the snaps in this first PS game and while Harbaugh is notorious for beign rough on his players and comes out with the intent to win pretty much every game, I think this is one game we will be happy just trying to evaluate what we actually have on the field in an actual game situation.

Knowing the majority of the offensive snaps will be taken by VY vs a 2nd/3rd/4th string D is enough to make me want to play the Eagles - especially cause you know they will try and win this 1st home game to keep the hype train rolling.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    That's too many favorites for preseason. The only favorite I have confidence in this week as of right now is Atlanta.
    Starting to come around on Atlanta this week too, should be motivated to play well and rid themselves of the stench of last years finish. Any Flacons fan have word on the vibe coming out of their camp?

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Opposite on most of your picks

bobbyk1133
    bobbyk1133's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3877

Nothing personal, but that is the worst preseason breakdown of games I've seen in a while.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by odog11 View Post
    Starting to come around on Atlanta this week too, should be motivated to play well and rid themselves of the stench of last years finish. Any Flacons fan have word on the vibe coming out of their camp?
    Well, more of a play AGAINST Miami on my part. They are using this game as a big practice with no regards to the score, which is why I got in quick at 2.5.