Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

17-2 Nfl Trend 1991-2007

Play on a winless 0-4 or worse team that's a dog after its bye!

1991-2007: 17-2 89%

St. Louis +13.5/Washington

I like this play....new coach....fresh off the bye! The Rams were 0-8 last year coming off their bye and beat the Saints SU as 10 pt dogs! Wash is coming off 2 div upsets and may take a breather effort wise!
    Last edited by Mr Handicapable; 10-09-08 at 08:52 AM.

Italia_NYC
    Italia_NYC's Avatar Become A Pro!

It was already one of my fav plays of the week! It's now a 4 star play!

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

What's the ATS for interim coaches since 1991? How about interim coaches in their first game as interim coach? Maybe that will add some extra ammo for firing at this play.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why did you not hammer the opening line?

Was like 14, 14.5 everywhere.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Didn't see the trend before? I cap CFB midweek for the most part...don't usually focus on the NFL til Saturday and I play CFB much harder in general!

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    What's the ATS for interim coaches since 1991? How about interim coaches in their first game as interim coach? Maybe that will add some extra ammo for firing at this play.
    I think I answered my own questions with an article from PFW I dug up through google. Check it out:

Since 1990, teams led by interim head coaches*making their season debut*are 4-12-1 against the spread. For our purposes, the "interim" tag includes those coaches who had replaced field bosses who had been fired or had resigned or taken a leave of absence.****Also, for purposes of this statistic, the*"interim" tag also*includes coaches who*eventually earned the permanent job.

The list of coaches came from combing*the NFL Record and Fact Book, and the ATS history was compiled from Jim Feist's Football Workbook as well*his 2000 Professional Football Annual, which contained 10-year records for all NFL teams. *

If*you're*wondering, it has made little difference*from an ATS standpoint whether the interim coach making his debut that season*is taking over for a coach who has been fired or has resigned. Interim coaches*replacing*terminated coaches are 2-7-1 ATS in their debut, while coaches*taking over for coaches who stepped aside*are 2-4 ATS.

Overall, since 1990, teams led by interim coaches are 52-63-3 ATS. Interestingly enough, though, teams coached by interim coaches replacing coaches who*resigned*are 21-18-1 ATS.
    http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.co...e_falco_1.html

slacker00

That article actually didn't include Atlanta's interim coach last season, which lost his first game ATS before winning his last 2 ATS.

This means interim NFL coaches are 4-13-1 ATS in their debut. That goes a long way towards negating your 17-2 trend.

I'd also question how this year's 0-4 Rams stack up against some of those other teams in the 17-2 list. This years are very horrible even for an 0-4 team. Compare Cincy, for example, which has fought hard despite it's record. The Rams have shown very very little so far this year, it's a team in total meltdown.