Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

the NFL draft - let's get serious

I hear there is going to be some extensive television coverage of this on the weekend. Do you sit down and watch this stuff for a good chunk of time?

I hope I don't seem judgemental here but I just can't imagine that.

For me, I'm curious to know where Bush, Leinart and Young will go - but I'll be satisfied with a little 5 second summary of that after the fact.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Although I'm extremely curious to know each pick as soon as it happens, I can have more fun watching the one traffic light in my home town as opposed to listening to Berman and watching such a wearisome process as this event. I'll just check the internet every hour or so and pay attention that way.

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

Last year, i did watch the entire thing for the most part. It shouldn't be surprining as my knowledge on these players is second to none though. When I tell you someone is good and someone will suck, thats the way it is. No debating. I am correct.

The 1st round takes about 8 hours since 15 minutes are allowed with each pick. The Colts probably won't make their 1st pick till about 7 PM when the draft starts at noon. But once day 2 hits, you can't keep up with all the picks as they happen every minute.

I love scrutinizing trades made by millionaires that have no clue. Great trade in 99 by Ditka. You have to assume thatsomeone else is responsible for his financial endeavors. 1st round deraft picks should be treated like gold and he not only gave up his entire draft for a player who is now out of the league forever, but he also gave up his first 2 picks next year. All for a running back, not even a guaranteed franchise quarterback.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I wish I wouldn't get sucked in, but I am obsessed with the NFL. I've listened to the entire 1st day on the radio for the past couple years. This year, I'm basically planning on playing poker and listening to draft coverage on the radio. I agree with mudcat that after the first several picks, it's pretty anticlimactic. But, I like to get a feel for the players, what the teams are thinking and trying to get any inside insight that I can leach. I'm also fascinated in what it takes to trade up and down to get a certain slot. I expect a lot of last-second "positioning" trades during the first day this year.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i watch the draft every year from start to finish.

theres always interesting stuff that happens on draft day. kieper and pollien went at it ripping each other a few years back over one of the colts draft picks.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i watch the draft every year from start to finish.

theres always interesting stuff that happens on draft day. kieper and pollien went at it ripping each other a few years back over one of the colts draft picks.

We didn't have polian then. I beleive it was Bill Tobin then. When we had Harbaugh at quarterback and Kiper ripped up because he said we had to be dumb to not pick Trent Dilfer with our top 5 pick.

Kiper's toned it down alot since that moment in what, 1994 or so. Somewhere around there.

Harbaugh ened up getting the Colts within one play of the Super Bowl the next year. We lossed at Pitt. on the last play when Aaron Baily dropped a hail mary in the end zone. And the possession before that, Coryatt dropped an interception that would have sealed the game. Those were the shots heard around the world.

bigboydan

after thinking about it, your right it was Bill Tobin.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm about like a mixture of Mudcat and WB, I'll watch the first 10 picks or so, and then check in maybe once every couple hours.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Wont watch it probably. Just read up on the updates, and post draft results. I just cant get into all the draft hype. Only really interested in seeing who Bush and Young goes to, and we all pretty much know where that is.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I have only watched the full 1st round and just leave it on the background or flip channels and try to catch the Niners' picks, but I won't be able to watch this year. Probably will be waking up around pick #20.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Kiper is the biggest tool out there. I don't know where his so called "draft expert" status comes from. He's got such a reputation that his "projections" are all paid off by the respective agents of the players vying for the top spots. He's a carnival barker at the NFL draft, at best.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    I have only watched the full 1st round and just leave it on the background or flip channels and try to catch the Niners' picks, but I won't be able to watch this year. Probably will be waking up around pick #20.

You won't wake until about 5 PM eastern time? Geesh

Either you live in Tokyo or you just had one hell of a night.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    You won't wake until about 5 PM eastern time? Geesh

Either you live in Tokyo or you just had one hell of a night.
    I work graveyard shifts.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

why again is Jay Cutler so hyped in this draft?...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by pags11

Because he has the strongest arm in the draft while still having accuracy and smarts.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    Plus when your compared to Brett Favre, I guess you get overhyped. Just like Brett does.

pags11

if the Rams take a QB or WR, I'm going to drive to New York and shoot someone...

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00
    Kiper is the biggest tool out there. I don't know where his so called "draft expert" status comes from. He's got such a reputation that his "projections" are all paid off by the respective agents of the players vying for the top spots. He's a carnival barker at the NFL draft, at best.

This is why slacker is one of the best posters here!!!!

Slacker another accurate post!!! Golden!!

pags11

and now bush doesn't go number one?...unbelievable...

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't watch at all; I just checked for the summary after the fact. But it looks like there were some interesting goings-on.

bigboydan

young goes before lienart

that was stupid on tennessee's part.