GrumpyOldBastard
    Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner
    GrumpyOldBastard's Avatar Become A Pro!

NCAA Sweet 16 breakdown

Connecticut (-1) vs San Diego St

Things arent looking good for Connecticut coming into this matchup. Connecticut has to travel 2928 miles from East to West for this game. San Diego St will have a home crowd in the stands as San Diego St is about 90 minutes away, and their fans have traveled well the past 3 years as San Diego St has become an NCAA team to reckon with. Kemba Walker will still be nursing a wrist and thigh injury he suffered in the first half of UCONN's game against Cincinatti. The word around the campfire is he his wrist was bothering him on Saturday, but he will still be able to play. Walker is UCONNS main man, and without him 100% it will be a test to get past a ragin San Diego St who has yet to get the respoect they deserve and are playing with a chip on their shoulder. Every team has a scare game on the way to the Final Four, and San Diego St. just had thiers vs the pesky Temple Owls in a double overtime win. UCONN is team that likes to keep the game at a decent pace, and wont be able to slow the game down the way Temple did, its just not in their coaching. I can see UCONN playing right into San Diego St's hands in this game, and against a home crowd. Look for a close one at half, and an easy win in the end for San Diego St.

PICK: UCONN 61 San Diego St 69

BYU vs Florida -2.5

Jimmer Ferdette isnt the only option BYU has, and it showed in the last game vs Gonzaga. BYU's offense has been all Jimmer, and now we know that BYU has other options, and other players that can step up when needed. Florida also has a team of players, namely Eving Walker, who dominated UCLA down the stretch and got them into the Sweet 16. Walker is a clutch player, who only stands at a listed 5'8, but knows how to play the game, and has a great understanding of the game. On the other end you have Jimmer, who also is a smart player with a great understanding of the game. This game wont be between Jimmer and Walker, this game is going to be "Who steps up to support Jimmer or Walker?" With Florida's Kenny Boynton, who is one of Walkers right hand men going down with a leg injury during the UCLA game, it doesnt look good for him to play. If Boynton plays he wont be 100% and limited in his role of becoming an outlet for the 3 pointer for Walker. Ferdette on the other hand has a full cast around him, and have showed they can step up when it matters, as shown in the Gonzaga game. This will be a great game, and the best team wins here.

PICK: BYU 66 Florida 62

Arizona vs Duke -9

An "bad call" win for Arizona, and a nailbiter for Duke down the stretch. This game has 2 teams who got lucky the last few seconds of their last game to get to the Sweet 16. Both of these team realize they have been given a 2nd chance in this tournament, and should play like it in this game. Arizona has played some great teams, and beaten them in this tournament to get this far, and next up is Duke. Duke has the experience, the players, the coaching, and seem to be unstoppable heading into the Final Four. The question in this game will be "Can Arizona step up in this game?". I hate to admit that Arizona has played very well up to this point, but also the game vs Texas, and with the lucky call, they have peaked. They dont have the players or coaching to step-up a notch and come away with a win vs Duke.

PICK: Arizona 55 Duke 71

Butler vs Wisconsin -4

Both of these teams played a very physical and tough games this past weekend, and the better teams advanced to the Sweet 16. Butler is pulling another Cinderella run and Wisconsin, is playing tough defense, and controlling the pace. Butler also plays tough and can keep the game close, and has a playmaker at every position on the floor when they need them to have a game changing moment. Wisconsin on the other hand isnt full of playmakers, but they do have guys who can step up when needed, but only in a specific role. This game will give the winner a chance to advance, but the team that wins is going to be the team that can control the pace, and make a play when needed. Each team can do one, but will have a little trouble doing the other. Wisconsin will control the pace, but Butler will make the plays. Look for a close one, and a nailbiter going down to the wire. Take the +4 and roll with it.

PICK: Butler 63 Wisconsin 61

**Fridays NCAA March Madness plays and write-ups will be posted tomorrow afternoon. Marquette vs North Carolina, Richmond vs Kansas, Kentucky vs Ohio St, VCU vs Florida St.

Good luck gentlemen, and lets cash in at the window this week!

Good Luck,
    GOB

linehawk
    linehawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Good insight. I'd have to agree with all except for Arizona/Duke. They are playing well and getting more production off their bench with Jordin Mayes. I think the Wildcats cover and possibly win outright.

GrumpyOldBastard

Thanks for your opinion, and you really think Arizona can keep it physical enough to keep up with Duke's physicality and big men up front?

Going be a huge battle for tArizona to cover, and even bigger for them to win outright

Just_Wynn_Baby
    Just_Wynn_Baby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

GOB, I believe you are the No-BS "REAL DEAL" and intend to follow your plays with a passion! Thanks for your write-ups, picks, and the sharing of your great handicapping knowledge and experience...Now let's go get us some Winners! ....JWB

GrumpyOldBastard

Thanks Just Wynn, I really do appreciate the compliment. Lets keep cashing them in!

GOB

GrumpyOldBastard

Thursday March 24

Marquette vs UCONN -4.5

We have a decent matchup in this one. Marquette is on a Cinderella run so far this tournament, and have chipped their way to the Sweet 16. On the other side of the coin we have UCONN which is just pounding away at their opponents and making statements. This game is going to come down to the better team, as UCONN has the better athletes, extra time to prepare, and a much faster paced team. While Marquette is living the Cinderella dream, they will be too slow to keep it close in the end, they wont keep up the fast pace UCONN has been playing throughout the tournament. Add in the fact that Marquette will be severely undersized against a bigger UCONN team who is good at crashing the boards, giving them some great second shot opportunities. Expect it close till after halftime, then UCONN wears them down and dominates easily.

PICK: Marquette 51 UCONN 64

Richmond vs Kansas -10.5

Richmond? Who? How did they get to the Sweet 16? I'll break it down for you easily. Richmond had than easy route to where they are now. Their first game they played a very suspect Vanderbilt team, who, as you know, should NOT have been seeded the way they were, and were self-destructing as the season went on. In the next round they got to play a tired and worn out Morehead State team, who played a very physical game and upset Louisville. So another good draw to get a very tired, worn out, non-motivated team, who ran out of gas. Now they are up against a powerhouse in Kansas, their first actual legitimate opponent this whole tournament. Kansas knows the position they are in, and as the better team, they know how to handle business. They have been in the spotlight all year, and know what its going to take. Everyone knows Kansas is the better team, so the question is: "Will Richmond cover?". I dont see any sort of a cover here for Richmond in any way, shape or form. Kansas is a powerhouse, trying to get back to the title game, has better athletes, and are used to the pressure. This is where Richmond will fold, and the Fairy Tale ends.

PICK: Richmond 48 Kansas 70

Kentucky vs Ohio State -5.5

Kentucky is walking tall that they made it back to the Sweet 16 after a quick, and I mean very quick, rebuilding of their team. Ohio State knew they would at least make it this far, and are charging towards the Final Four. Kentucky is going to have its work cut out for them, as they bring youth and inexperience to the table, and they bring it against a very solid defense, and a team who can make a basket at will. Kentucky is going to have to try and control the tempo of the game and stay out of foul trouble if they want to keep it close, but with the youth and inexperience, I see them getting frustrated. This game will get out of hand if Kentucky lets it, which is what will more then likely happen.

PICK: Kentucky 56 Ohio State 67

VCU vs Florida State -3.5

No one saw these two teams matching up in this round. Both VCU and Florida State are playing premium basketball, and just at the right time, and this leaves us to wonder which one moves on to the Elite Eight. VCU is a frustrating team to play, very methodical, and tends to wear down a defense. While Florida State is one of the best defensive teams I have seen as of late. This is going to be a very slow paced, and deliberately played game. With each team slowing the game down, and not rushing anything to quick. VCU has been the better team the last 2 games, and have executed everything they were trying to do perfectly, while Florida State has had thier moments were they were suspect the last 2 games. This game will be a close one, and there is a play on the UNDER 132. Look for VCU to pull one out in the end, as they continually spread the perimeter and make the big shots when they count.

PICK: VCU 58 Florida State 54

Qtip
    Qtip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 176

Marq. vs Uconn pretty bold prediction

ex50warrior
    ex50warrior's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25088

UCON vs Marq....you meant UNC, right?

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

I know Kansas will bring a lot of Fans.... Florida state will have their band and nothing else but both teams VCU/Richmond are from the same city. I see those fans uniting and having the biggest voice there.

linedrivr
    I'm your huckleberry
    linedrivr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

connecticut has 2 opponents in the sweet 16?

GrumpyOldBastard

Was a typo, and as I was finishing up the write up I made a mistake putting UCONN instead of NC.

Just a typo and NC is the correct play and the write up is genuine. Was spent almost 14 hours studying the games and watching them over again and just inserted UCONN instead of NC.

I apologize for any confusion.

jmilacek
    jmilacek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Edit the post. :P

mchammer1960
    mchammer1960's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 258

byu knocket out fiorida last year. flo wants refenge

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Thanks for the writeups.

Regarding Florida and BYU, you wrote: "With Florida's Kenny Boynton, who is one of Walkers right hand men going down with a leg injury during the UCLA game, it doesnt look good for him to play."

I looked into this this morning, and it appears that Boynton's leg is fine and he will play. Do you have any information that he will not be playing against BYU?

chiliv5
    chiliv5's Avatar Become A Pro!

SDSU is my team until knocked off. I am on their bandwagon till the final 4. just a feeling.