IAMWINNER
    IAMWINNER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lines are out ODU-4

what say you

oakas
    oakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17772

ODU really has nothing to play for. They are already in and VCU has to win to get in.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't really understand the thinking of people who say well "this team has nothing to play for" because they're already in, etc. So you're telling me the ODU kids are going to roll over because they're in the NCAAs? Not sure what I am playing, but both these teams want this, no doubt.

IAMWINNER

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I don't really understand the thinking of people who say well "this team has nothing to play for" because they're already in, etc. So you're telling me the ODU kids are going to roll over because they're in the NCAAs? Not sure what I am playing, but both these teams want this, no doubt.
    So what team do you like. I think VCU can hang with them, they have the momentum and confidence and they are playing at home and already beat ODU before.

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Thats what happened to George Mason; this kind of thing happens every year.
    NOW do you understand?

Ranx777
    Ranx777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

I really don't think there is a strong side here, this will be a very tight game. Til the end. I am still in shock George Mason got beat yesterday.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think ODU is a "lock" to make the tourney, there still could be some bubble teams winning their conference tournaments or having big runs although ODU's resume does look nice.

LolsMcwinsey
    LOL
    LolsMcwinsey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3893

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggums5 View Post
    I don't think ODU is a "lock" to make the tourney, there still could be some bubble teams winning their conference tournaments or having big runs although ODU's resume does look nice.
    wiggums, i see you're trolling this board as well?

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Quote Originally Posted by oakas View Post
    ODU really has nothing to play for. They are already in and VCU has to win to get in.
    This response is laughable. I can almost guarantee you that Old Dominion's #1 goal at the beginning of the year was to win the Colonial Conference. Anything beyond that is gravy. ODU has the opportunity to meet there goal, so I wouldn't say they have nothing to play for.

I guarantee you that VCU had the exact same goal. I expect a battle tonight.......and I do think VCU can cover this.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggums5 View Post
    Yes, I believe ODU is a lock regardless of what takes place. Trust me, ODU will be ahead of Michigan, Illinois, V-Tech, BC, Florida St, Alabama, Baylor, etc.

wojtekp
    wojtekp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

The only reason VCU beat Mason is because off 44% of 3 ptr made, WOW!, It's not gonna happen against ODU. ODU should win it.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler

Quote Originally Posted by LolsMcwinsey View Post
    wiggums, i see you're trolling this board as well?
    trolling...i'm not posting lock of the years on multiple boards

Drew0585
    Drew0585's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4083

I like VCU and the points. There is a big difference in the mindset of teams that have to get in vs teams who are already in the tournament. Of course both teams want to win the conference tournament, but VCU will be playing with the urgency of needing to win this game for their season. VCU is on a mission to get into the tournament. Even if they lose, I think they at least keep it within a couple of points.

AL1322
    AL1322's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

ill take those points..loving what im seeing from vcu..old domin will prob get in but that shouldnt have any effect on their thinking..they certainly are better than say michigan or illinois..but i like vcu

ThingsFallApart
    ThingsFallApart's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew0585 View Post
    I like VCU and the points. There is a big difference in the mindset of teams that have to get in vs teams who are already in the tournament. Of course both teams want to win the conference tournament, but VCU will be playing with the urgency of needing to win this game for their season. VCU is on a mission to get into the tournament. Even if they lose, I think they at least keep it within a couple of points.
    I don't think any team wants to lose to a conference rival for the conference championship so and lose so close to the tournament. I do agree that I guess "on paper" VCU wants it more, but itd be like saying "I want don't need to win my $500 bet today because I'm making a $5000 bet tomorrow."

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Jerry Palm from the RPI was on the local talkshow this morning saying VCU, ODU and GM were all pretty much in. Regardless of the outcome of the game tonight.

Drew0585
    Drew0585's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4083

There IS a difference when one team is playing for their season vs a team who is already in. It's not like saying "I want don't need to win my $500 bet today because I'm making a $5000 bet tomorrow." You're not in control of how hard the players play, shots they take, defense, rebounding, etc. Of course they don't want to lose, but it has an effect on the players who know in the back of their mind that they will be in the ncaa tournament win or lose. I played college basketball in the NAIA. My first year, we were #2 seed in the conference tournament and lost in the first round to one of the worst teams in the conference, partly because we knew we would get an at large bid. The team that beat us went on to play in the conference championship vs the #1 seed and won their way into the national tournament. Teams play different in must win situations.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Bang the ML folks.

ODU, goes dancing in impressive fashion.

IAMWINNER

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Bang the ML folks. ODU, goes dancing in impressive fashion.

hoyas2007
    hoyas2007's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was at the George Mason-VCU game yesterday. VCU didn't just win because of three point shooting, although that was crucial in getting them the big lead in the first half. What impressed me the most about how they played was their defense. GMU looked totally lost on offense - they couldn't generate good shots, everything was contested, they were forcing a lot of shots, etc. Things opened up a little for GMU in the second half, but I was very impressed all game long with VCU's defense.

A couple interesting things: VCU had 10 offensive boards against GMU yesterday, which I thought were critical. GMU had some chances to get back into the game in the second half, but VCU got some extra possessions through offensive rebounds that were huge for them. However, VCU also gave up 16 offensive rebounds. It's a little misleading because 4 of those came on one possession, but regardless, they didn't do a great job on the defensive glass. ODU is a rebounding machine both on the offensive and defensive glass, so this could be a problem for VCU if they give up offensive boards tonight. I also wouldn't count on 10 offensive boards for them against ODU. The GMU bigs were in foul trouble most of the game which helped VCU dominate the offensive glass - that seems unlikely tonight.

The other big thing is that the crowd will be around 75% VCU supporters tonight. The game isn't at VCU's home stadium, but it is in Richmond and the VCU fans will all be there. If VCU can keep it close, they will feel right at home in that stadium.

The two teams split their games in the regular season, with ODU winning at VCU and VCU winning at ODU.

ODU seems like the better team to me, and they are rolling. I like the matchup for them. They rebound better, they rely on 2s instead of 3s (so fatigue should be less of an issue), and they are really experienced - all seniors and juniors. Only thing that makes me hesitate is the home crowd on VCU's side, plus 5 points seems like a lot. I gotta think ODU wins and covers though. Thoughts?

IAMWINNER

Quote Originally Posted by hoyas2007 View Post
    I was at the George Mason-VCU game yesterday. VCU didn't just win because of three point shooting, although that was crucial in getting them the big lead in the first half. What impressed me the most about how they played was their defense. GMU looked totally lost on offense - they couldn't generate good shots, everything was contested, they were forcing a lot of shots, etc. Things opened up a little for GMU in the second half, but I was very impressed all game long with VCU's defense. A couple interesting things: VCU had 10 offensive boards against GMU yesterday, which I thought were critical. GMU had some chances to get back into the game in the second half, but VCU got some extra possessions through offensive rebounds that were huge for them. However, VCU also gave up 16 offensive rebounds. It's a little misleading because 4 of those came on one possession, but regardless, they didn't do a great job on the defensive glass. ODU is a rebounding machine both on the offensive and defensive glass, so this could be a problem for VCU if they give up offensive boards tonight. I also wouldn't count on 10 offensive boards for them against ODU. The GMU bigs were in foul trouble most of the game which helped VCU dominate the offensive glass - that seems unlikely tonight. The other big thing is that the crowd will be around 75% VCU supporters tonight. The game isn't at VCU's home stadium, but it is in Richmond and the VCU fans will all be there. If VCU can keep it close, they will feel right at home in that stadium. The two teams split their games in the regular season, with ODU winning at VCU and VCU winning at ODU. ODU seems like the better team to me, and they are rolling. I like the matchup for them. They rebound better, they rely on 2s instead of 3s (so fatigue should be less of an issue), and they are really experienced - all seniors and juniors. Only thing that makes me hesitate is the home crowd on VCU's side, plus 5 points seems like a lot. I gotta think ODU wins and covers though. Thoughts?
    ODU can bring in one big after another while VCU will have to have Skeen out there for 40 minutes. Barges helps out for rebounding but he is only 6'6 and he will have to play the full game. When do these guys rest and if VCU can't hit the 3 pointers tonight will they be able to score in the low post. And Skeen scored several 3 pointers yesterday because there was no inside play. What are the chances he gets open this time after ODU looks at the tape last night.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

If its not @VCU's home court, then they have no home court advantage.

Homecourt has more to do with familiarity with their surroundings. IMO

TheTruth5
    TheTruth5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by oakas View Post
    It's the championship game for the CAA conference and youre gonna say ODU has nothing to play for? I dont think i know any college kid who wouldnt love to bring home a championship for his school. Both teams will leave it all on the court tonight. In saying that, I think ODU covers this spread as VCU will not be able to live up to their performance last night.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

ODU has a huge rebounding advantage in this game. They control the boards and will dominate the game in second chance points just like they did when they played at VCU.

sportman1313
    sportman1313's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bro, the game is at richmond colliseum....it's pretty much gonna be dominated by VCU fans. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if ODU's coach makes some "suspicious" subs and playcalls....VCU is the play here, ML is probably a good play also but take +4.5. I follow both these teams closely and VCU is the play here imo
    Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    If its not @VCU's home court, then they have no home court advantage.

Homecourt has more to do with familiarity with their surroundings. IMO

IAMWINNER

Quote Originally Posted by sportman1313 View Post
    Bro, the game is at richmond colliseum....it's pretty much gonna be dominated by VCU fans. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if ODU's coach makes some "suspicious" subs and playcalls....VCU is the play here, ML is probably a good play also but take +4.5. I follow both these teams closely and VCU is the play here imo
    are you saying the ODU coach is going to throw the game?

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Don't be surprised if the refs aid in vcu winning... george mason and odu r r locks to get in... conference wants 3 teams... refs will give vcu all the calls... so the caa gets 3 in

IAMWINNER

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    Don't be surprised if the refs aid in vcu winning... george mason and odu r r locks to get in... conference wants 3 teams... refs will give vcu all the calls... so the caa gets 3 in
    I already locked in ODU Say it aint so

sportman1313

ebbearsfb....you hit it on the spot bro, the refs will absolutely aid the vcu team. iamwinner, I won't throw the words out there like that but watch the game and you'll see. As we speak, I'm in the Richmond area....take it for what it's worth. I wouldn't touch ODU minus anything with a 10 ft pole. I'll be at the game most likely and am pretty sure this game will play out the way I believe it will....know some of the vcu players also, should be a good one. I will suggest....it's either VCU or no play! BOL with whatever ya'll do tho
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMWINNER View Post
    are you saying the ODU coach is going to throw the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post

sportman1313

Double up on VCU Bol to ya tho
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMWINNER View Post
    I already locked in ODU Say it aint so

ebbearsfb1

I mean I don't know anything for fact but it seems to fit... also did these teams play each other during the year?

VFLY
    VFLY's Avatar Become A Pro!

BOL to all

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler

Why would the refs care if another CAA team gets in, that's retarded. I think you are confusing the refs in the NBA to the refs in college.

ebbearsfb1

Caa officials talk to the refs do the fixing... not difficult to understand.... they are caa refs...

LolsMcwinsey
    LOL
    LolsMcwinsey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3893

i have a friend who goes to ODU. he told me that he heard some of the players say they cant wait for the season to be over, and have pretty much packed it in for the season.

12 Last