Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Razz's Elite 8 Analysis

I was asked to explain why I felt strongly about UCLA tomorrow, and that's no problem.

Saturday

Game 1, LSU +3 vs. Texas (Atlanta, Georgia)
    Well, this game is a true coin toss from my perspective. The difference to me is that LSU has seen teams like Texas, but Texas hasn't seen anyone like LSU. Texas plays much like UCONN and Florida. Noone plays like LSU. The closest comparison would be Memphis, but that is a stretch (Tyrus Thomas makes Rodney Carney look like Greg Ostertag).
    Anyway, Texas only had one thing going for them against WVU. They outrebounded them, and were able to get easy second-chance points. That won't be the case against an LSU team that is dominant inside and has athletes all over the place.
    Glen Davis and Tyrus Thomas were saddled with foul trouble early against Duke, but the Tigers got strong bench play, notably from Lazarre, and were able to maintain their lead. Texas has a deep frontcourt as well, and this will be an interesting battle to watch. One key, in my opinion, is that Lamarcus Aldredge plays well against soft players, but struggles against strong presences. Witness Aldredge's performance against Kevin Pittsnogle (a great player, but not a good interior defender), where he appeared unstoppable. But, when he runs into someone like Taj Gray, he looks lost.
    I really liked the way the Tigers defended the perimeter against Duke, and I think that will be a key again. Texas has some good shooters, but LSU has playmakers and lockdown defenders.
    LSU is 7-2 against the number as an underdog this season, and they are playing as well as anyone in the tournament. Plus, they'll have me there wearing purple and screaming at the officials. This one should be a good one that comes down to the wire. Darrell Mitchell is the difference.
    LSU 65, Texas 63
    1* LSU +3 -105

Game 2, UCLA +3 vs. Memphis (Oakland, California)
    Well, this line is rising, and (no offense to anyone who is opposite me here) I think it is because the public is foolish. Not that Memphis can't win this game, but the public is overreacting to UCLA's poor early performance against the Zags, and maybe thinking of the first meeting between these teams.
    In the first meeting, Memphis won 88-80 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicated. My, how things have changed. UCLA was, at that point, a soft team that has since been hardened, especially on the defensive end, by coach Ben Howland. Now the Bruins play the type of tenacious defense that is necessary to stifle a potent team like Memphis.
    These last two points sort of go hand in hand. It's one thing to beat the murderer's row of Oral Roberts, Bucknell, and Bradley. It's quite another to be playing what amounts to a road game against the best team from a major conference 2,500 miles from home. Also, playing in Conference USA doesn't provide the experience for a big test like this. Memphis hasn't played a team from a major conference since January 18th, and hasn't covered against a team from a major conference since December 17th.
    Teams don't breeze through to the Final 4. Memphis has gotten an easy draw to this point, and UCLA has been battle tested. That will show up if this is a close game.
    UCLA 72, Memphis 65
    3* UCLA +3 -101
    1* UCLA ML +146
    Last edited by Razz; 03-25-06 at 01:08 AM.

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Solid gold, Razz.

Thanks.

All of a sudden, I'm fired up again.

Razz

A couple people have asked how I get "my line" - which, as I try to emphasize, is merely a starting point, and something I don't want to go against with any regularity. The situation and individual matchups must be analyzed, but here is how I got the line for the Memphis/UCLA game.
    Mid-majors are always difficult, but anyway:

1/3 Overall Points For vs. Points Against for both teams:

Memphis 81.0/65.9 = +15.1
    UCLA 68.8/59.0 = +9.8

15.1-9.8=5.3, BUT...

We have to verify the opponents that both teams were playing. UCLA's SOS was 0.5690, and Memphis's SOS was 0.5672. There is no discernible difference, so I can simply let this part go.
    (1/3) Memphis by 5.3

1/3 Points For vs. Points Against Last 10 games - not including their last game

Memphis 75.8/62.0 = +13.8
    UCLA 71.9/55.7 = +16.2

16.2-13.8=2.4

(1/3) UCLA by 2.4

1/3 PF/PA against the most similar teams (the most difficult part. For neutral court games, I subtract four points from any home team)
    Similar teams to Memphis that were on UCLA's schedule:
    Memphis (N) 80-88
    Washington 65-69, 67-70
    Arizona 85-79, 84-73, 71-59
    Gonzaga (N) 73-71

Similar teams to UCLA that were on Memphis's schedule:
    UCLA (N) 88-80
    Duke (N) 67-70
    @Cincinnati 91-77
    vs. Gonzaga 79-72
    vs. Texas 54-69

Out of all of that, I have UCLA at 75.0/72.7 (+2.3) and Memphis at 75.8/73.6 (+2.2).
    So for this whole section, I have:

(1/3)UCLA by 0.1

So we have...
    Memphis by 5.3, UCLA by 2.4, and UCLA by 0.1. Added up, that gives us Memphis -2.8 on a true neutral court. I feel that some value must be placed on UCLA as far as the location of the game, but I am not sure to what extent. This seems like a legitimate line, but I feel there are many other circumstances that favor the Bruins here, as outlined above, and also, I believe the Memphis by 5.3 in the first section is very inflated by weak opposition. I was very surprised to see their SOS be so solid.
    Anyways, I hope this cleared things up somewhat for anyone interested in how I get my line. Feel free to ask questions either here or by a PM if this is confusing.

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

UConn is 8 -105 over GM
    and Nova 2 -108 over Florida, likely drifted up from -2-105.

No totals yet.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

razz, that let down factor for UCLA is whats troubling me. i'm really concerned about that factor, otherwise i feel UCLA is the play tomorrow.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    razz, that let down factor for UCLA is whats troubling me. i'm really concerned about that factor, otherwise i feel UCLA is the play tomorrow.
    I actually think it will work the other way, and they will come out on an emotional high. I think Howland will make sure they don't come out the same way as they did against the Zags. But yes, that's one of the things that could go wrong.

Razz

My buddy's womens' basketball opinions (I've starred the ones that he said are worth playing, and typed a couple statements he made):

** Oklahoma -3 vs. Stanford - no reason this one is close.
    LSU -9 vs. DePaul - LSU has the best men's and women's teams.
    Baylor +4.5 vs. Maryland - Maryland not as good as people think.
    Utah +1 vs. BC - False favorite off their win over Ohio St.

Michigan St. +15.5 vs. Duke - Giving 15.5 to MSU with anyone is crazy.
    ** Georgia +9 vs. UCONN - Thinks they could win SU.
    ** Rutgers +5.5 vs. Tennessee - Thinks they are absolutely going to win SU.
    Purdue +15.5 - Line looks dead on.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    My buddy's womens' basketball opinions (I've starred the ones that he said are worth playing, and typed a couple statements he made):

** Oklahoma -3 vs. Stanford - no reason this one is close.
    LSU -9 vs. DePaul - LSU has the best men's and women's teams.
    Baylor +4.5 vs. Maryland - Maryland not as good as people think.
    Utah +1 vs. BC - False favorite off their win over Ohio St.

Michigan St. +15.5 vs. Duke - Giving 15.5 to MSU with anyone is crazy.
    ** Georgia +9 vs. UCONN - Thinks they could win SU.
    ** Rutgers +5.5 vs. Tennessee - Thinks they are absolutely going to win SU.
    Purdue +15.5 - Line looks dead on.

Games on tv?

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

sooner women at 1:30 cst on espn

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

I'm in for 3 units Razz. Good luck everyone

moses millsap

Is LSU's the women's version of UCONN? Play sloppy as hell, lol.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED

Games on tv?
    i believe all of them are on in some fashion bud.

moses millsap

Backdoor in LSU game. Up by 18 and they haven't scored in 7 or 8 minutes, blowing FTs, layups, etc.

moses millsap

Depaul plays for the cover and falls short by a point

Razz

Beautiful Saturday, as neither game was ever really in question, although UCLA's free throw shooting sort of kept that one closer than it should have been.

Sunday's Analysis

Game 3, UCONN -8 @ George Mason (Washington, D.C.)
    I am treating this like a minor road game, and both "home" teams covered today. There is nothing in this game that merits a play for me, although if pressed, I would take the Patriots.
    My first thought was that UCONN's size would make this blowout city, but I am sort of rethinking that. Mason had no reason to beat UNC, as they couldn't stop their big men on paper. Also, on paper, no one should be able to beat UCONN, let alone a mid-major school that didn't even win their conference. But, the Huskies are gutless, and have no heart. I don't think this team is good enough to continue coasting against the teams they are about to face. Falling behind double digits isn't going to keep UCONN in the tournament long.
    Mason plays enough D to keep this close, but I'm not going to pull the trigger on them. I will be rooting for them to win, and may make a very small play on them if the public moves this line above 9.
    UCONN by 6

Game 4, Villanova -1 vs. Florida (Minneapolis, MN)
    I'm not a fan of taking a higher-seeded small favorite, but there is no other way to go here. Villanova has been through the rigors of the Big East this year, and have played some good teams in the tournament. On the other hand, look at what Florida has done. They beat a #14 and a #11 in Jacksonville, FLORIDA, and beat #7 Georgetown on a miracle shot by Corey Brewer.
    Two teams beat the Gators twice this season - South Carolina and Tennessee. What is significant about this? Their style of play is almost exactly similar to Villanova's. All three are guard-oriented teams that shoot a lot of three-pointers. Nova's interior defense impressed me against Craig Smith and company, and Noah and Hortford are actually a step down in class. I think the Gators' inexperience beats them.
    Wildcats by 7

2* Villanova -1 +102

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Game 4, Villanova -1 vs. Florida (Minneapolis, MN)
    I'm not a fan of taking a higher-seeded small favorite, but there is no other way to go here. Villanova has been through the rigors of the Big East this year, and have played some good teams in the tournament. On the other hand, look at what Florida has done. They beat a #14 and a #11 in Jacksonville, FLORIDA, and beat #7 Georgetown on a miracle shot by Corey Brewer.
    Two teams beat the Gators twice this season - South Carolina and Tennessee. What is significant about this? Their style of play is almost exactly similar to Villanova's. All three are guard-oriented teams that shoot a lot of three-pointers. Nova's interior defense impressed me against Craig Smith and company, and Noah and Hortford are actually a step down in class. I think the Gators' inexperience beats them.
    Wildcats by 7

2* Villanova -1 +102
    I agree with this one!!!

Razz

Glad to hear it bud. How bout them Bruins?

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Glad to hear it bud. How bout them Bruins?
    That was the lowest scoring game I have seen in
    awhile! Nice score! I was happy to hear u liked them!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rudy Gay: "We're one of the best teams that every played the game." lol

Passing on the game, but I sure hope UCONN loses.

nolovenodie
    nolovenodie's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks Razzz...I didn't see this thread this morning...sorry i asked in the other thread

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

Razz your my dog. Best handicapper on the site. GO UCLA

Thanks again