bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pearl Coach of the Year

Vols head coach Bruce Pearl has been named the 2006 Coach of the Year by The Sporting News. The award was one of the publication's year-end hoops honors, as determined by the writers and editors of The Sporting News, that was announced yesterday.

Pearl was named Coach of the Year after guiding his squad to an SEC East title, (12-4, 21-6 overall) and its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 2001. With Pearl at the helm, the Volunteers led the conference in six statistical categories, including points (81.7), 3-point field goal percentage (.394), steals (10.26), assist/turnover ratio (1.37), turnover margin (+5.89) and 3-pointers made (8.81).
    A very good choice for this award IMO

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah, he would have been my second choice, behind Bill Self.

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not that he was going to win it, but I liked Roy Williams for some of the same reasons as you like Self, Razz (I think).

UNC lost everything to the NBA and he took the team from a green, freshmen-laden mess to a dominant force in the ACC yet again.

But Pearl is plenty deserving.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    Not that he was going to win it, but I liked Roy Williams for some of the same reasons as you like Self, Razz (I think).

UNC lost everything to the NBA and he took the team from a green, freshmen-laden mess to a dominant force in the ACC yet again.

But Pearl is plenty deserving.
    I agree. You have to admire how he turned them around so fast. Nobody really expected North Carolina to have a good year after they lost all of those players.

darkghost
    darkghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10547

Pearl definitely deserved it turning around a mediocre Tenn program although I think they're overrated. I see them losing in the 2nd or 3rd rd. I'd love to see a UNC/Tenn matchup with UNC favored by less than 3.