bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The NIT's new twist for the 40 team field

NEW YORK (AP) -- All regular-season conference champions not in the NCAA tournament field will be guaranteed a berth in the National Invitation Tournament, and teams no longer have to have .500 records to be selected for the NIT's 40-team field.

The changes, announced Thursday, come less than a month before the NIT selection committee meets to select the field for the first time since the tournament was purchased by the NCAA.

The committee is comprised of former Division I coaches, including Naismith Memorial Hall of Famers Dean Smith and chairman C.M. Newton. The other members are Don DeVoe, Reggie Minton, Jack Powers and Carroll Williams.

In the past, a team had to win at least half its games to be chosen for the NIT.

The regular-season champions of the 31 Division I conferences not in the NCAA's field of 65 will be invited.

"The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter," Newton said. "It formalizes what postseason basketball should be -- a reward for success throughout the regular season."

The field will be announced March 12, hours after the NCAA field is revealed.

The 40 teams will be seeded and the higher seeds will host games as they advance unless there are extenuating logistical circumstances.

Opening-round play begins on campus sites on March 14 with the second round starting on March 17 and the quarterfinals on March 21.

The semifinals and finals will be played at Madison Square Garden in New York on March 28 and 30.

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    "The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter," Newton said. "It formalizes what postseason basketball should be -- a reward for success throughout the regular season."

Succeeding less than half of the time is, by definition, not success.

But the NIT is just more games to watch and bet on, so hey, go right ahead as long as it sticks around.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I thought all conference champions had an automatical bid into the NCAA tournament. Did they change this rule recently?

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Slacker, I think that covers the winners of the Conference tournament for some, leaving out regular-season champions who fail to win the tournament.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    Slacker, I think that covers the winners of the Conference tournament for some, leaving out regular-season champions who fail to win the tournament.
    Bingo, that happens alot with these smaller conferences.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like these changes...doesn't hurt the little guy to play the big guys early...