Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

PAC 10 Championship

Alright, let's talk about the title game in the premier conference in the country for a minute. I'm having a bit of a problem understanding the line.

USC has been better than Oregon all season, they have beaten two tournament teams in this tournament already, and they beat Oregon both at home and in Eugene. This game is basically at home, as Staples Center is only about five minutes from the USC campus.

I had USC -3 in this game. So, what's the deal? Are the oddsmakers telling us Oregon is the play, or is the line low simply because Oregon is ranked?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

USC has been a great money maker all year long and still doesn't seem to get much respect. I'll take SC because I think their defense is better and that will make the difference in another close game.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Premier?

I pick the Trojans because I need to go pick some up.

USC should win this one by 5 or more.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Premier?
    Did I spell it wrong? I always get confused by "premier" and "premiere".

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Did I spell it wrong? I always get confused by "premier" and "premiere".
    Just not sure that is the "premier" or "premiere" conference.

Flamers just killed the USC bets.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Just not sure that is the "premier" or "premiere" conference.

Flamers just killed the USC bets.
    I saw that. I'm off the SC bandwagon.

I do really like the Over in this one though.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm leaning towards Oregon in this one, no doubt. This is a game where revenge will matter, and I'm not sure the home edge for USC will be that important. Not sure if I'm going to bet it or not, I might wait to see if the line increases for USC.

But I think Oregon has a more dynamic team and will pay USC back here.

I also won't be betting the total, but would take the under if forced to choose a side.
    Last edited by The HG; 03-10-07 at 02:59 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I too like Oregon in this game Mr.GanchrowHG.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

C'mon Razz... The PAC-10 is NOT the premier conference in NCAA hoops. It's a deep conference, but I don't see a single PAC-10 team advancing to the Elite 8. In fact, is there any way for me to wager on that? UCLA is the only team who may make it, though they'll get bounced in that Elite-8 game.

Razz

If you were only near me, I'd let you bet any of these:

that someone in the Pac 10 OTHER THAN UCLA makes the Elite 8.

that someone from the Pac 10 makes the Final 4.

that more Pac 10 teams are in the Sweet 16 than any conference they choose.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Pound for pound the Pac-10 is the best conference in the league....it's not even close who is the second best conference.

I watched the Big Ten all year long and the bottom teams are an embarrassment they would get routinely blown out. The only teams in that conference that can even win a road game were OSU and UW. But I watched ASU, the bottom team in the Pac-10, and they were very competitive in all their games....gives you an idea just how deep that conference is.

babaoriley

We'll just call it a gentleman's bet. I definitely don't think 1 or 2 will happen. The third is entirely possible simply because the PAC-10 will get 4 teams in, probably 5.

babaoriley

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    Pound for pound the Pac-10 is the best conference in the league....it's not even close who is the second best conference.

I watched the Big Ten all year long and the bottom teams are an embarrassment they would get routinely blown out. The only teams in that conference that can even win a road game were OSU and UW. But I watched ASU, the bottom team in the Pac-10, and they were very competitive in all their games....gives you an idea just how deep that conference is.
    I agree with the depth argument. I just don't think that qualifies them as the best conference.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by babaoriley View Post
    We'll just call it a gentleman's bet. I definitely don't think 1 or 2 will happen. The third is entirely possible simply because the PAC-10 will get 4 teams in, probably 5.
    Who would you pick for the third?

babaoriley

Well, let's see...

SEC- Florida is in, Tenn maybe, Kentucky and Arkansas seem weak, Vandy doesn't do much for me... So NO to SEC

ACC-UNC and Virginia seem like good choices, Maryland and Ga. Tech (if they make it) could move on as well. Duke and Va. Tech will get bounced early, but it's possible that Duke could sneak into the sweet 16... Possibly ACC.

Big 12- Kansas, Texas A&M, Texas all should make the sweet 16 and I'd take K. St over Arizona, Wazzou, Stanford if they were to ever play. Hell, if Oklahoma St. would have made the tourney, they could have done some damage.

Big East-Georgetown, Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame... They could all do damage. And Marquette seems to defy all logic and win tough games. But, most of these teams are low-scoring and susceptible to dry spells.

Hmmm... I think the Big 12 gets 3 in.
    I think the ACC gets 2-3 in.
    The Big 10 gets 2
    The SEC gets 2
    The Big East gets 3-4.
    And yeah, the Pac-10 probably gets UCLA and Oregon in. I think Wazzou, USC and Arizona all get bounced early.

At this point, I'd say the Big East... But, let me revisit this after the brackets are released and we'll make our projections. I definitely would be surprised if either of your other scenarios played out... I completely respect your opinions, Razz. I hope this doesn't come across as anything other than my opinion differing from yours, but I don't think the PAC-10 puts the most in the Sweet 16.

Razz

No, I gotcha. Here's my Sweet 16 before seeing the brackets:

ACC - 2 (North Carolina, Maryland)
    Big 10 - 1 (Wisconsin)
    SEC - 1 (Florida)
    Big East - 2 (Georgetown, Louisville)
    Big 12 - 3 (Texas A&M, Texas, Kansas)
    MVC - 1 (Creighton)
    MWC - 1 (BYU)
    Big South - 1 (Winthrop)
    Pac 10 - 4 (UCLA, Wazzou, USC, Oregon)

And I'll tell you this. If Arizona wins their first game (I don't think they will), they can make the Final 4, maybe even win it all. In terms of raw talent, they have everyone beat except maybe UNC.

babaoriley

You think only 2 from the Big east get in? And no Ohio St.? All they have to do is beat a 16 then an 8-9 seed. I think Pitt makes it from the Big East: My Sweet 16 (before seeing brackets) would probably be:
    ACC- 3 UNC, UVA, Maryland
    Big 10- 2 Ohio St., Wisconsin
    SEC- 1 Florida
    Big 12- 3 Kansas, Texas, Texas A&M
    Big South- 1 Winthrop (I hope they get a decent matchup in rd. 1)
    PAC-10- 2 UCLA and Oregon
    Big East- 3 Gtown, Louisville, Pitt
    Conf USA- 1 Memphis

Razz

I wish it was more than a gentleman's bet.