Dukebluejms
    Dukebluejms's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Wake @ VT: thoughts, plays

Tonight’s game in Blacksburg is a game between two very hot teams (Wake is 7-3 SU in their last 10 and VT is 8-2 SU). Wake has done this through I think Wake has the more talented team, but this game is at VT. All of Wake’s losses in conference this season have been on the road, and VT is a very tough team to play in Blacksburg. Though VT plays better at home, they have not been dominating teams. They are undefeated at home but they have wins by 1 over BC, 4 over UNC, and 6 over Virginia. The in conference statistics only reinforce my point on VT having to just skate by in a few games. The Hokies are averaging only 69 ppg in conference, which is 2 points below average. They have also shot the ball poorly posing a 40% FG and 30% 3PT, and the scariest statistic against a long, physical Wake team is that they have been outrebounded by 4 per game. In their losses and close games (games decided in OT), VT has been outrebounded or tied in the rebounding category for all 7 games. Which ever team can win the rebounding will win the game.

The front line for Wake is not nationally known, but they do have big guys that are very strong on the inside. Chas McFarland is big and fearless and stands at 7’ tall. Wake plays two other centers in Woods and Weaver who are both 6’11. And while these guys have size, Wake’s best rebounder is 6’9 in Aminu who averages a double-double this year with 10.5 rebounds per game. Aminu is a great player that VT must control in order to be successful. He is very versatile on the both ends of the court. He can match up with the other teams SF, PF, or C, he can bring the ball up the court when the other team presses, he is has strong offensive moves on the inside, and he has a nice mid range game. While Aminu is the most important player on Wake’s team, another guy who is vital to their success is their PG Ish Smith. Smith is a traditional pass first, quick PG, that looks to create by driving to the basket. My concern for the Hokies is that they will have no one to match his speed on the perimeter. In their 3 conference losses, Smith has averaged 10 ppg (3 off his season average), 4 turnovers per game (1 above season average), and 4.5 assists (1.5 below his average). Wake will go as Smith goes in this game. VT is known for playing lock down defense (giving up only 61 ppg this season), and Smith will have to be able to create and use their size advantage in order to be successful.

The Hokies are lead by Malcolm Delany, who is averaging 19.7 ppg this season. In conference, Delany is averaging over 21 ppg, a lot of which came when he was hampered by injury. Now that he is healthy, VT is even more dangerous. VT’s team as a whole is very much guard oriented. The tallest player on the roster that plays significant minutes is 6’8. When you are playing a front line as big as Wake’s front line, this size disadvantage will be extremely tough to handle. In previous games this season against big teams VT has struggled, losing to FSU and UNC prior to the Zeller and Davis injuries. The advantage VT has is on the defensive end like I mentioned above. The Hokies play an opportunistic style of defense that forces 16+ turnovers per game on average. However, their defense has struggled in ACC play where they are allowing opponents to score 6 more point per game, and their rebounding numbers have fallen off sharply. Another advantage VT has is in FT shooting where they shoot 76% as a team (10% higher than Wake).
    Both teams have posted impressive trend resumes as of late:

Wake Forest (covers.com)

• Demon Deacons are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
    • Demon Deacons are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games overall.
    • Demon Deacons are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 vs. Atlantic Coast.
    • Demon Deacons are 9-1 ATS in their last 10 games as an underdog of 0.5-6.5.
    • Demon Deacons are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games as a road underdog of 0.5-6.5.
    • Demon Deacons are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
    • Demon Deacons are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a S.U. win.
    • Demon Deacons are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS win.
    • Demon Deacons are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 Tuesday games.
    • Demon Deacons are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
    • Demon Deacons are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games as an underdog.

VT (covers.com)

• Hokies are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a ATS loss.
    • Hokies are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games as a favorite of 0.5-6.5.
    • Hokies are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games as a favorite.
    • Hokies are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
    • Hokies are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home games.
    • Hokies are 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games overall.
    • Hokies are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
    • Hokies are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 Tuesday games.
    • Hokies are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.

While impressive, the head-to-head numbers have Wake as 0-4 ATS in the last 4 meetings. But the road team is 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings. Though trends are important to some, they are not a deciding factor for me when it comes to point spreads. I personally think this line is a little off. I figured the game would open at around 3.5 points give or take a half. I will be taking Wake +6 in this game. The winner of this game will be the team that controls the tempo. I know I say this a lot, but it is usually true. Wake looks to play a faster-paced, up and down type game that gets into the upper-70’s to low-80’s, while VT would be happy to keep this game in the low-60’s. Wake has been known to struggle shooting at times in the half court sets, but they have such a size advantage in this game, I expect their offense to be efficient. So again I like Wake in this spot +6, and I also like over 136 for the game.

LTCOL27
    LTCOL27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Dukeblue, living in NC, I follow Wake and all of the ACC teams closely, and I also pay close attention to the Hokies since my wife is a VT grad. I agree with your analysis 100%. I think there is a good chance that Wake could win outright with how they have been playing lately and with how they match up with the Hokies, and with the 2.5 to 3 points of line value as you pointed out, taking the 6 points is a great play.

Thanks for the great write-up and detailed analysis my friend, and I hope we cash this Wake play tonight.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

i like wake as well but it bothers me that with the majority on them the line keeps ticking up

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

Hokies are playing well. Wake's suspect D is a concern for me.

yahoop144
    yahoop144's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the info, thinking about going with the over and hoping for the best

Big Dave's Picks
    PASS OR FAIL, BIG WEEKEND
    Big Dave's Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey Dukeblue I appreciate the detailed analysis. I have always enjoyed reading your writeups. I think Virginia Tech is due for a let down tonight considering they are coming off 4 str. wins including the likes of UNC and Clemson. I am surprised the line has jumped to what it is and think Wake is the right call. BOL tonight sir and look forward to your other plays. I do like San Diego St. but not quite sure how they respond to thier big win against UNLV. Thanks again for the hard work. Big Dave

eviltsi
    eviltsi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

I like Wake usually, but they definitely have problems with turing over the ball, especially down the stretch. Tonight, they'll be against a team that has not lost at home, and shoots very well, even at the line. With Wakes last game they killed it inside and Aminu had a great game; however, tonight is all about theguards. Can anyone keep Delaney in check? Will Wake turn the ball over 20 times?
    With that said, both teams have been on a tear winning 4 straight in the ACC, tonight I feel Wake will come out on top straight up.
    GL

DolphinSpurs
    Representin' that 305.
    DolphinSpurs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

never back an ACC road team this year. Either take the Home team or pass. This simple thing has made me money some days and helped me break even the rest. I was gonna stay away from this game, but the fact that people are actually on Wake helps me feel comfortable pulling the trigger for VT
    Points Awarded:

birdman779 gave DolphinSpurs 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Dukebluejms

Quote Originally Posted by LTCOL27 View Post
    Dukeblue, living in NC, I follow Wake and all of the ACC teams closely, and I also pay close attention to the Hokies since my wife is a VT grad. I agree with your analysis 100%. I think there is a good chance that Wake could win outright with how they have been playing lately and with how they match up with the Hokies, and with the 2.5 to 3 points of line value as you pointed out, taking the 6 points is a great play. Thanks for the great write-up and detailed analysis my friend, and I hope we cash this Wake play tonight.
    Thanks. What part of NC? The majority of my family lives in NC

Dukebluejms

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    i like wake as well but it bothers me that with the majority on them the line keeps ticking up
    I noticed that too. Last time I checked it was something like 69% on Wake. Oh well, I think I'm content on being a square tonight.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Vtech by 10.

birdman779
    birdman779's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 981

luv tech tonite line is moving in the opposite of the action vegas wants u on wake im gonna be on tech

birdman779
    birdman779's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 981

me after tech rolls
    Attached Images  

DolphinSpurs
    Representin' that 305.

now people are seeing the light

DaTruth10
    DaTruth10's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vtech wins here by double digits

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33122

I`m on the total for this game ...
    gimme over 137.5

kboiler
    kboiler's Avatar Become A Pro!

I saw Wake play in person this year. Although it was the B10/ACC Challenge, they didn't seem like a great "team"...that is to say, they're suspect to other teams that play team basketball...such as Purdue. When Wake gets rattled, they try to play me-first basketball.

Just my opinion.

LTCOL27

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebluejms View Post
    Thanks. What part of NC? The majority of my family lives in NC
    I am in the Triad, right between High Point & Greensboro in Jamestown, NC. I figured you had a NC connection, family or otherwise, with your name DukeBlue.

Dukebluejms

Quote Originally Posted by LTCOL27 View Post
    I am in the Triad, right between High Point & Greensboro in Jamestown, NC. I figured you had a NC connection, family or otherwise, with your name DukeBlue.
    Grandparents live in Burlington, Uncle that lives in Creedmore, and Aunt from around Charlotte and my father grew up around Greensboro. Definitely a connection. BOL tonight

The Silver Fox
    The Silver Fox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

What do you guys think about the o/u

Kustac
    Kustac's Avatar Become A Pro!

should be a good one and tell alot about where both teams are at right now

Cornerback
    Cornerback's Avatar Become A Pro!

Va Tech all day

Vince Lombardi
    Vince Lombardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19401

I like Wake to cover. $$$$$

LTCOL27

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebluejms View Post
    Grandparents live in Burlington, Uncle that lives in Creedmore, and Aunt from around Charlotte and my father grew up around Greensboro. Definitely a connection. BOL tonight
    Awesome man! It is like you almost live in NC right now! Sounds like you know the area pretty well.

Well, I hope that being NC biased with Wake doesn't burn us tonight. I am getting a little nervous with 70% on Wake, and the line not moving. We are definitely on the square side, but the square side still has to win every now and then. I am sticking with it, and I hope Wake cashes along with our other plays tonight.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Wake teased up

hendry
    hendry's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wake Forest vs Top 50 RPI: 5-3
    Va Tech vs Top 50 RPI: 1-2

I'm on the wake ml personally.

UNCGQ
    UNCGQ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 905

wake

. . . forgot that there are two halves to a basketball game. They turned it off after they went up 10.
    Last edited by UNCGQ; 02-16-10 at 07:40 PM.

BillyCostigan
    BillyCostigan's Avatar Become A Pro!

A good game going on here. I like Wake Forest over from here on out. Ishmael Smith really pushes the ball down the court. 74 on the 2nd half seemed very low, wish I would have seen it earlier.

UNCGQ
    UNCGQ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 905

Ish throws the game away with that 3.

(the ref must have Wake +5.5)

BillyCostigan
    BillyCostigan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yea, bad shot by Ish. UNCGQ, do you go to Greensboro?

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was on Wake ML here, lookied good early, didn't end well.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it

Great game to watch though.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCostigan View Post
    Yea, bad shot by Ish
    Very poor shot selection for sure.

eviltsi
    eviltsi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

make a free throw.... vtech missed 3 in the last 30 to lose the cover. thanks for nothing you bums

DolphinSpurs
    Representin' that 305.

Tech ML here so that part of my parlay is safe. Sounds like they gave away the cover with missed FT. When will these kids learn to sink those things?

12 Last