Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Is UNLV fixing games?

They have way too much talent to be this bad.

16 point favorite vs San Jose State on their home court. Down 13 at the half.

oChRoNiCo
    DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT SON!
    oChRoNiCo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12049

If they were fixing games it wouldn't be prudent for them to make it so obvious that Plaza23 from SBR is questioning it....

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by oChRoNiCo View Post
    If they were fixing games it wouldn't be prudent for them to make it so obvious that Plaza23 from SBR is questioning it....

They are making it quite obvious tonight. This is blatant. San Jose State is trying to hand them at least a win. Ugly ugly 2nd half. Sad for college basketball when teams play this poorly. Its one of the worst basketball games I've ever watched. and I don't even have money on it. The score caught my attention so I had to see if it was fishy. Stinks badly.

LokcItUp
    LokcItUp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2524

I generally agree with this reasoning but... people get lazy, greedy and make mistakes. I'm not saying that is the case here (I don't think UNLV are fixing games) but I remember in the history of online poker- over and over again people were alleging impropriety/cheating. Many naive people thought, "the powers that be would never do this- they are printing money already, that would be foolish.." People underestimated greed- the online owners were cheating and scamming wherever possible. Should never underestimate greed, stupidity, and short term thinking.

oChRoNiCo
    DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT SON!
    oChRoNiCo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12049

Quote Originally Posted by LokcItUp View Post
    I generally agree with this reasoning but... people get lazy, greedy and make mistakes. I'm not saying that is the case here (I don't think UNLV are fixing games) but I remember in the history of online poker- over and over again people were alleging impropriety/cheating. Many naive people thought, "the powers that be would never do this- they are printing money already, that would be foolish.." People underestimated greed- the online owners were cheating and scamming wherever possible. Should never underestimate greed, stupidity, and short term thinking.
    I understand what you're saying in regards to the poker stuff, but would UNLV really risk the death penalty for college basketball if caught fixing games? The absolute worst team that could ever be associated with any sort of fixing would be UNLV purely based on where they are located alone. Anything is possible I suppose just seems like this would be the stupidest thing anyone could think of, perhaps for those reasons it would also be genius

Plaza23

This is the worst basketball game I have ever seen. San Jose State has turned the ball over like 9 possessions in a row.

LokcItUp
    LokcItUp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2524

I understand what you're saying in regards to the poker stuff, but would UNLV really risk the death penalty for college basketball if caught fixing games? The absolute worst team that could ever be associated with any sort of fixing would be UNLV purely based on where they are located alone. Anything is possible I suppose just seems like this would be the stupidest thing anyone could think of, perhaps for those reasons it would also be genius
    I agree as a long term strategy would be illogical/ham-fisted. My point is one cannot underestimate short term goals/ being able to get away with something. 'Why did John Doe rob the bank? Why did the cashier steal from his awesome job at Cinnabon? Why did Tim Donaghy risk his awesome NBA refereeing career?" Disclaimer- I do not think UNLV is match-fixing but I could not say for certain.

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17041

Because no one in Vegas would ever tell UNLV to throw a game, right?