Manny0825
    Manny0825's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Be Careful, I'm A Rookie....

So I've been praticing my capping the entire football season and some of the NBA and CBB season so far. I've decided to actually put some real money into it now. I was practicing with BetPoints and very few dollars. I have been trying to get better, and thanks to some very insightful post and certain members here, I feel much more confident to actually put a bankroll together to start capping. I am new to this, so beware if you decide to tail me. I have no record. Fresh slate. Bear with me. Also, I am open to advice. I believe this forum was made for that specifically. So thanks for reading, and lets make some money!

I base 1 unit to equal $30. Yes I am a small bettor. I'd rather not lose everything I have for my lack of knowledge and experience. If I keep winning, my bankroll and units will increase. I will post my plays daily. I will be posting NFL, CBB, and NBA. I am not going to get into Tennis, MMA, etc. That is not something I follow or research.

Thank you guys for your help. BOL to everyone!

Also, I'd like to thank 2dabank, lt profits, 44mags, tony, and a couple others. I followed all your plays and read your lineups and saw how you guys do your research and I appreciate the info you guys provide. BOL to you guys!
    Last edited by Manny0825; 01-23-16 at 11:04 AM.

Manny0825

1/23

CBB

Miami -14.5 1unit
    Georgetown +4.5 1unit
    Oklahoma +1 1unit
    NorthWestern +10 1unit
    1H Georgetown +3 1unit
    1H Oklahoma +.5 1unit

Manny0825

Add

Texas +12.5 1unit
    Duke +4.5 1unit

Manny0825

Add

bradley +30 1unit

Manny0825

Add

Last cbb for today

Vanderbilt +6 1.5units

Manny0825

CBB

4-6 -2units

Manny0825

Nba

Atlanta -11 1unit
    Atlanta 1H -6.5 1unit
    cleveland 1Q -4 1unit

Manny0825

CBB
    creighton/butler u79.5 1unit

Manny0825

Nba
    0-3 -3u

cbb
    4-7 -3u

not a great start today. Will try again tomorrow.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Manny0825

Quote Originally Posted by leetreaper View Post
    Yea, not a great start. But what better way to learn than losing your money. It'll get you to make better changes very quickly. Either way, I'll move on until tomorrow.

Tony Williams
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Tony Williams's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Not sure if I'm the Tony you're referring to-I usually don't do much in the way of writeups/analysis, but always happy to give more insight if requested. More often than thoughtful capping debate, you will run into passive-aggressive hecklers and antagonists on here that thrive off you losing...be prepared for that. It holds a certain amount of entertainment, but can easily become a distraction and deterrent from making level-headed bets. I think a lot of people on here lose sight of what the word "variance" truly means, due to being berated on a daily basis for losing 3 out of 4 games.

Other than that aspect, it's a good place to pick up some different insights and point of views. There are certainly some good cappers, but most importantly you can hold yourself accountable and learn from yourself.

Better luck tomorrow

Manny0825

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Williams View Post
    Not sure if I'm the Tony you're referring to-I usually don't do much in the way of writeups/analysis, but always happy to give more insight if requested. More often than thoughtful capping debate, you will run into passive-aggressive hecklers and antagonists on here that thrive off you losing...be prepared for that. It holds a certain amount of entertainment, but can easily become a distraction and deterrent from making level-headed bets. I think a lot of people on here lose sight of what the word "variance" truly means, due to being berated on a daily basis for losing 3 out of 4 games.

Other than that aspect, it's a good place to pick up some different insights and point of views. There are certainly some good cappers, but most importantly you can hold yourself accountable and learn from yourself.

Better luck tomorrow

I was referring to you. I see you always make rational decisions on your picks or whoever youre leaning on and giving stats to back it up. I am prepared for the hecklers, so it doesnt bother me. Im learning and i know ill get better. Thanks for the advice and bol to you!

Manny0825

Nfl

ari +3 2units

didnt post my den bet in time. So i wont count that one win or lose.

Tony Williams
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Tony Williams's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Manny0825 View Post
    I was referring to you. I see you always make rational decisions on your picks or whoever youre leaning on and giving stats to back it up. I am prepared for the hecklers, so it doesnt bother me. Im learning and i know ill get better. Thanks for the advice and bol to you!

Cool, good to hear man. I am still working to 100% eliminate any emotions in betting and remain disciplined, and I think my personal tracking helps keep myself more accountable. Always can learn from people on here, whether it's who you don't want to be like, or who you aspire to learn from

GL

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

What's your goal? Entertainment? Making money? Some combination of both?

Some unsolicited words of advice: Either lower your unit size or bet fewer games until you know what you're doing.

Manny0825

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    What's your goal? Entertainment? Making money? Some combination of both?

Some unsolicited words of advice: Either lower your unit size or bet fewer games until you know what you're doing.
    My goal is making money. So what would you recommend as a good starting unit size? And whats a good number of wagers per day? Thanks for the help.

crackerjack

My goal is making money. So what would you recommend as a good starting unit size? And whats a good number of wagers per day? Thanks for the help.
    Maybe change your goal.

If you can afford to lose a lot of money, then don't change a thing. If money is tight and you like the challenge of handicapping and get some entertainment value out of it, drop your unit size to $10. A $5 unit size to start is a better idea, but it's hard to stick to $5 bets without a ton of discipline. If you get hot, then up the unit size. But if you get cold, a small unit size won't destroy you me bankroll and take you out of the game.

Try to specialize in one sport. If youre betting basketball, stick to either NBA or college and if it's college, focus on a few conferences.

I've been working a plan where my goal is to average $15 in profit a night. This hatched because I didn't want to give back all my football profits betting on basketball, which is not my best sport. I still wanted the action until baseball starts, my favorite betting sport. I won $765 in January and should have a +$2000 bankroll once baseball starts if I can continue winning and continue the discipline of just aiming for a small profits each night.

Bet a few $5 parlays and maybe a $15 bet on your best bet. Aim for small profits each night and watch your bankroll slowly grow. It's super fun. Much better than losing.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Manny0825

Manny0825

Maybe change your goal.

If you can afford to lose a lot of money, then don't change a thing. If money is tight and you like the challenge of handicapping and get some entertainment value out of it, drop your unit size to $10. A $5 unit size to start is a better idea, but it's hard to stick to $5 bets without a ton of discipline. If you get hot, then up the unit size. But if you get cold, a small unit size won't destroy you me bankroll and take you out of the game.

Try to specialize in one sport. If youre betting basketball, stick to either NBA or college and if it's college, focus on a few conferences.

I've been working a plan where my goal is to average $15 in profit a night. This hatched because I didn't want to give back all my football profits betting on basketball, which is not my best sport. I still wanted the action until baseball starts, my favorite betting sport. I won $765 in January and should have a +$2000 bankroll once baseball starts if I can continue winning and continue the discipline of just aiming for a small profits each night.

Bet a few $5 parlays and maybe a $15 bet on your best bet. Aim for small profits each night and watch your bankroll slowly grow. It's super fun. Much better than losing.
    I really appreciate the help. I'm going to test out the $10 unit size and lower the amounts of bets I make. I'll focus on NBA and dabble in college with only a few conferences and see how it works out. Thanks again for the help. It was a rough start, but ill crank back up NBA tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Manny0825

NBA

0-3 -3u

CBB

4-7 -3u

NFL

0-1 -2u

lets try this again starting tomorrow.

Manny0825

NBA

Kings/Blazers u213 1unit
    Indy +1 1unit

CBB
    Georgetown -3 1unit

Manny0825

NBA

Kings/Blazers u213 1unit
    Indy +1 1unit

CBB
    Georgetown -3 1unit
    1-2 -1u

I was doing so well practicing with betpoints. This is very discouraging tbh. But i shall keep trying. I know those losing streak happen. Lets get ready for tomorrow.

Manny0825

NBA

1-4 -3u

CBB

4-8 -4u

NFL

0-1 -2u

Manny0825

NBA

celtics/nuggets o213 2units

no college plays today.

crackerjack

1-2 -1u

I was doing so well practicing with betpoints. This is very discouraging tbh. But i shall keep trying. I know those losing streak happen. Lets get ready for tomorrow.
    What was your thought process on the games you picked?

HeeluvaGuy
    HeeluvaGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3926

That's what I was going to ask. I'm no guru, but I know that having a methodology is necessary or it's hard to last very long.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

keep grinding, dont get discouraged

Manny0825

1-0 +2u

Finally! A winning night...lol. And i doubled up the units. Lets start this streak!

NBA

2-4 -1u

CBB

4-8 -4u

NFL

0-1 -2u
    Last edited by Manny0825; 01-28-16 at 12:24 AM.

Manny0825

What i usually do is compare the two teams offense and defense. I look at their last few games to see if they have been on a hot/cold streak, etc. based off of all of that, I'll make my pick in what I think is an appropriate bet. I know last weekend, I got somewhat trigger happy with all those college bets. However, My nfl bet, i was so confident in. I just got that one flat out wrong. I followed your advice and have been seeing better results. As you see, i only made 1 wager tonight. I have to learn to pass on things im not confident in. If i feel it could go either way, i need to just leave it alone. I keep trying to sprint instead of taking my time. Im working on the discipline though.

Quote Originally Posted by HeeluvaGuy View Post

That's what I was going to ask. I'm no guru, but I know that having a methodology is necessary or it's hard to last very long.
    Yea i've been trying to tweak it a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    keep grinding, dont get discouraged
    Thanks! Got a good night for the first time. So hopefully we get things turned around.

HeeluvaGuy
    HeeluvaGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3926

So the question is what are you comparing? Are you looking at every game or just certain ones? If the latter, how do you decide what to look at?

You don't have to answer these questions here, but the point I'm getting at is that, for me, having a methodology is important. If you're not using the same methods each day (or whenever), it will be very difficult to figure out what is/isn't working.

That's just my $.02. I'm sure others have different approaches. GL!

Manny0825

Quote Originally Posted by HeeluvaGuy View Post
    So the question is what are you comparing? Are you looking at every game or just certain ones? If the latter, how do you decide what to look at?

You don't have to answer these questions here, but the point I'm getting at is that, for me, having a methodology is important. If you're not using the same methods each day (or whenever), it will be very difficult to figure out what is/isn't working.

That's just my $.02. I'm sure others have different approaches. GL!
    Oh I appreciate the advice. It makes complete sense. Ive been trying to be more consistent and I finally had a winning night. So we will see where it goes from here. Thanks for you advice!

Manny0825

NBA

1h Indiana -1.5 1unit
    Indiana ML 1unit

CBB

Iowa/Maryland o145/syracuse ML (Parlay .5unit)

Manny0825

NBA

1h Indiana -1.5 1unit
    Indiana ML 1unit

CBB

Iowa/Maryland o145/syracuse ML (Parlay .5unit)
    2-0 on nba and 0-1 on cbb. Profit!

NBA

4-4 +1u

CBB

4-9 -4.5u

NFL

0-1 -2u

FlyinAir
    SDQL
    FlyinAir's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Keep plugging away manny
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Manny0825

Manny0825

NBA

Orlando/Boston o206 1 unit
    Houston +8.5 2 units
    1Q Phoenix +3 1 unit

no college plays.

123 Last