gwills
    gwills's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

GWills 2014-15 NCAAB Picks

Back for more. Let's do it!

Going to look into some teams and scout for the year but I think I see some teams that could make a deep run this year. VCU will be solid all year and could finish in top-10. They have a good core of players returning who were knocked out too early last year. Also, Duke could be special and I believe their freshman will be the story of the year alongside Kentucky. Like VCU, Iowa state seems to be returning a good core and I think will be hungry led by a good coach.

Also excited for the Maui Invitational to start the year off. Right now I am liking SDSU's chances - I think Fisher is savvy preparing his team for early season competition.

One thing I'm going to focus on (at least starting out) will be trying to make the core of my bets on teams at home that play good defense. After following too many seasons to count at this point it just seems like hard nosed defensive teams always show up ATS, especially at home. Scoring is at a premium in CBB. I know that seems "duh" but may be a good thing to focus on.

Not sure if I'll pick any futures right now because it seems like that's money down the toilet every year - hah.

Lastly, under the radar teams. Northern Iowa will be good this year, bottom line. They're returning all their top scorers and they know how to win. Also thinking Temple could have a good season. Will Cummings may be one of the best players of the year.

GL to all. All comments are welcome. I'm not a jerk. I love a think tank here as it has been in past.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

Good luck dude.

Really like VCU as well. Love their style of defense. I think this could be a year Smart gets them back closer to the top. (need some more offensive talent to show up though.) Also think Duke and Iowa St look like they are in store for good years, but I may tread lightly on them because they both seem to be early public darlings. They are both getting a lot of press early.

Maui should be good - Zona is loaded though. SDSU still has to go through them.

I am sucked into the futures game. I took 3 futures last year and one was UCONN so it paid handsomely. I took a few this year already, but now have to hold up or else I have too much skin in the game.

Good luck!

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

I agree with VCU. They have a couple stretch 4's that are freshmen that I think could be huge for them

gwills

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    I agree with VCU. They have a couple stretch 4's that are freshmen that I think could be huge for them
    Agreed.

I also think people forget how good of a shooter Melvin Johnson is. I'm not worried about their offense at all. Kind of tempting to throw a small future on them.

gwills

Picks for tonight:

Texas A&M v. Northwestern St. UNDER 149
    Boise State -3
    Minnesota +9.

I am an A&M homer and try to never bet on my own team. I think the total stays under here though. Ags were a decent defensive team last year and first-game jitters and rust lead me to believe this game goes way under. A&M could be a sleeper of a team this year in the SEC, but I don't expect our offense to take it's full Murray State-of-the-past form under Billy Kennedy until mid-season. This seems way too high.

I like Boise St. -3. San Diego should have a good team this year. Johnny Dee is a lights out shooter, albeit in a weaker conference and Anderson can play. I remember them being tough to beat even with these guys as sophomores. However, Boise St. just returning too many guys on a neutral floor. Drmic, Marks, Hadziisoieieovic (or however you spell it - hah) all seniors and will take care of business. -3 seems low.

I know some folks are on Louisville, but I like the Gophers here on a neutral floor. The Gophers guards outmatch Louisville in terms of experience and skill. Hollins is an elite scorer. I think Minny has bodies that can at least sort of contain Harrell to keep it close. The thing about this game is that with the style of play both teams play, I want my money on the team with the more, experienced, better guard play. That is Minnesota here. Don't think Louisville will be able to force as many turnovers as they'd like.
    Last edited by gwills; 11-14-14 at 02:50 PM.
    Points Awarded:

bald_guy gave gwills 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

CoFred
    CoFred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Good luck this year GWills. How did you do last year if you don't mind me asking

gwills

Sorry for the run-on paragraph guys. On a computer that is kinda messed up - weird. Also putting a one-unit play on Gonzaga for a national championship future. +2000. We'll see! I this this team could make a deep run this year - a lot of players returning and Pangos is on a mission.

gwills

Quote Originally Posted by CoFred View Post
    Good luck this year GWills. How did you do last year if you don't mind me asking
    Thanks bud. Did not make / record picks last year on a thread. Got married and had a lot of stuff going on! Two years ago did pretty well - I'm sure you could dig the thread up here somewhere. Your avatar is AWESOME by the way.

gwills

Locked in Minnesota +9 (Heritage)

bald_guy
    bald_guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5019

I'm on the Texas A&M v. Northwestern St. UNDER 149 game. Cept I got 150.5 (-105) instead.

Welcome back and here's to a great basketball season. Congrats on the marriage.

gwills

Texas A&M v NW St. UNDER
    Minnesota +9

Boise State -3

Not the ideal start last night but it is a looooooong season. 1-2 overall. Really misread that A&M total and was hoping for a backdoor Minny cover. Oh well. Todays picks are below:

Florida State -10 (-118)
    LSU -14

I like Florida State with a leading scorer returning here and a solid frontcourt. Manhattan has an outstanding coach in my opinion in Masiello, but he lost a huge core of his team with Alvarado and company graduating. It will be hard for them to score against a historically very good defensive team in FSU.

I like LSU's returning core here as well. The frontcourt may just be too much and I feel they could be sending away shots at the rim all day. Hopefully we can get back on the right track today!

gwills

Boise State -6

Didn't even realize Derrick Marks was suspended yeaterday - glad it didn't affect the outcome. Broncos will be even stronger with him back and have a lot of scoring options as stated yesterday.

Edit: Adding Oral Roberts +5
    Last edited by gwills; 11-15-14 at 06:00 PM.

gwills

Adding Portland State +10

Enfield's team is young and Katin Reinhardt is the only "name" on this team. I think they fall behind early to a team that starts 3 seniors and have to battle back.

gwills

Florida State -10 (-118)
    LSU -14
    Oral Roberts +5
    Portland State +10
    Boise State -6

Solid day today. 4-1 to go 5-3 ​overall.

gwills

Picks for Sunday:

Charlotte -4
    Valparaiso +5.5
    Points Awarded:

gwills

For today:

Adding San Jose State +5.5.
    Points Awarded:

gwills

Charlotte -4
    San Jose State +5.5
    Valpo +5.5

2-1 today and 7-4 overall.

Will look at some picks for tomorrow and post tonight or in the morning.

gwills

Starting tomorrow off with Troy +9.5

gwills

Addition:

Gonzaga -7.5

gwills

Some thoughts on picks for today:

I have always thought Ole Miss has questionable coaching. Not sure a guy like Marshall Henderson exists on this team this year to bail the coaches out (as shown in their first game). Troy should be excited to play this game at home against a bigger school whereas Ole Miss might not be. 9.5 points at home seems safe for these guys.

Gonzaga is soooooo good at home. The fans are always out in full force for a top-25 matchup such as this one. Pangos is on a mission this year and there are just wayyyyy too many names alongside him this year (plus the addition of Wiltjer and Wesley). Just a classic case of too many good players on the floor. Coupled with that, SMU is missing some pieces from last year and I don't foresee them being that great on the road. This could be a blowout, quite honestly, even with Larry Brown coaching. I think Zags could win by 15+

bald_guy

A lot of people must agree with you on the Gonzaga game, as the spread is 9 now. I wasn't going to bet on it, but since you said they might win by 15+ i went for it.

Sucks you lost the troy game by a half a point. Luckily, I had +10 for a push. First push i had for quite some time.
    Last edited by bald_guy; 11-17-14 at 09:23 PM.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Good luck tonight

gwills

Thanks guys - hope to pull these out. Also, I've decided I'm going to take a run at these marathon games and bet some of them. I see some value here. I will add some as things develop hopefully. Additions, for now, are below:

Auburn +10.5
    Pearl is the better coach in this matchup. I like the points here even in what will probably be a pretty good environment at the Coors Center. Auburn has a lot of seniors and I'm hoping the road won't rattle them too much. I just think Pearl's coaching will keep this close and in single digits even if they can't pull it out.

Saint Mary's -6.5
    I don't think New Mexico will be able to hang here. They certainly weren't against Wichita State and were down 17 at halftime. Saint Mary's will be a very disciplined team much like Wichita and should win easily at home. Brad Waldow is a solid defender and player inside.

Hawaii -3
    I have watched Hawaii play in these early season games a lot over the past 2-3 seasons. They always seem to go on big runs at home and be able to cover in these types of games. I also think these teams play sluggish after long trips, even if they've been there for a couple of games. It's just tough to go over there and beat these guys on their turf.

Stephen F. Austin -2.5
    This team should be very competitive this year. Very disciplined, good defense, good rebounding, etc...Walkup is a classic "glue guy" and Parker can handle a lot of scoring. Northern Iowa is a well-coached team but this is a tough spot to have it all together this early in the season on the road.

gwills

Enjoying betting this marathon - even with the mediocre start. Hope to finish strong as I really do like these games. Will update record at the end of the day and additions for this afternoon are below:

UMASS -9
    San Diego State -5.5
    Memphis +8.5

gwills

Man, really rough stretch of events in the last 24 hours. Hawaii blew a big lead with no time left. Auburn hung in there and then didn't score for what seemed like forever. San Diego State up by 10 with 1:15 and wins by 4. Tough breaks.....

Troy +9.5
    Gonzaga -7.5
    Auburn +10.5
    St. Mary's -6.5
    Hawaii -3
    SFA -2.5

UMASS -9
    SDSU -5.5
    Memphis +8.5

2-6-1
    and 9-10-1 ​overall.
    Points Awarded:

gwills

Kansas +7 to try and save the day somewhat.

bald_guy

Quote Originally Posted by gwills View Post
    Kansas +7 to try and save the day somewhat.
    Just looked at the results and surprised on how far the odd makers got this game wrong. More like Kansas + 32. lol Might try to find some highlights of this game.

gwills

A Kansas debacle pushes record to 9-11-1 overall. It's a new day and a long year - time to bounce back!

Tonight's picks:

Utah State -2
    San Jose State +4

gwills

Quote Originally Posted by bald_guy View Post
    Just looked at the results and surprised on how far the odd makers got this game wrong. More like Kansas + 32. lol Might try to find some highlights of this game.
    Frustrating game to watch to say the least

gwills

Adding picks for tonight:

SMU / Indiana OVER 136
    Syracuse -5.5

1-1
    yesterday with Utah State -2 and SJSU +4 to go to 10-12-1

gwills

Today's picks:

California +6
    Long Beach State +2
    Iowa -2.5
    Weber State +4

Overall yesterday at 1-1 to go to 11-13-1

gwills

California +6
    Long Beach State +2
    Iowa -2.5
    Weber State +4

Overall yesterday at 1-1 to go to 12-16-1

Not so hot lately, but again, it is a long season. Focused in hard on the pick below for UMKC. They have played some tougher competition so far this year and could very well win this game outright. Will try to take it slow and win this one, and potentially add another strong pick tonight. Just need to get back to .500 and then make a move from there.

UMKC +5

gwills

A truly maddening push there on UMKC. Up by 6-10 the entire game and then blow a lead missing A LOT of free throws. Oh well....onto next one.

​Nebraska -1