Jikos
    Jikos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1114

Why is Syracuse getting 7 points?

I am not familiar with college ball all I know is they are considered (or were before their loss) #1 in the country. I've watched a few of their games, nothing stood out to me but maybe it's because I only watch NBA. Are there any injuries I'm unaware of? Overreaction to the loss to BC? I know they were 5 point favs vs duke at home so this is a pretty big difference and I'm considering making my first personal NCAAb play on these guys. Somebody enlighten me if I'm missing something.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......
    AdaBarber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 137

Just for your analysis go the other way. That is how Vegas wants you to think. I guess Syracuse goes down again. I am a Syracuse homer.

Jikos

Quote Originally Posted by AdaBarber View Post
    Just for your analysis go the other way. That is how Vegas wants you to think. I guess Syracuse goes down again. I am a Syracuse homer.
    Na dog sorry i am not a retard. Sorry to be harsh but any person who thinks like that is a loser. The goal is to find an edge.

Jikos

Just a little advice, what you're advising me to do is what every book wants everyone to do. They want you to pick randomly with irrational angles like that so you can hit some and think you did something right and then you keep doing it again and again and you get juiced to death or tap out. That is reality.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Before you call me a loser you better check my threads. I profit over 56%(probably better) in every sport I play. I gave you my advice and I am gladly giving up the 7. You do not have to take it. You posted a thread to the public and I responded. If you wanted some one to take your side so you will feel good about your play then you should have said that. I will accept your apology after Syracuse gets handled.

And how ironic is it that you do not even watch NCAAM and you have the nerve to disrespect me. I will take the high road on this one since you know not any better.
    Last edited by AdaBarber; 02-22-14 at 01:09 PM.

Reno_Thor
    Reno_Thor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5264

I think the question is; why will they get handled? "That is how Vegas wants you to think." is really not a logical response. 7 points seems like a pretty large line for one of the best teams in the country.

just my humble opinion as I am also seeking more logical/statistical background before making a wager.

Jikos

Before you call me a loser you better check my threads. I profit over 56%(probably better) in every sport I play. I gave you my advice and I am gladly giving up the 7. You do not have to take it. You posted a thread to the public and I responded. If you wanted some one to take your side so you will feel good about your play then you should have said that. I will accept your apology after Syracuse gets handled.

And how ironic is it that you do not even watch NCAAM and you have the nerve to disrespect me. I will take the high road on this one since you know not any better.
    First of all I didn't call you a loser. Second of all there is no chance you cap any of your games like that. Third of all duke is not one of the plays in your thread. Fourth of all I do not give a shit who covers the spread; being results oriented is a very weak minded thing to be, I like to get 7 points when the spread should be 5, whatever happens in the game I can't control. Fifth of all your response contains no information that can be helpful to anybody. You did not answer my question. You lose. Good day sir.

Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

I like Syracuse here at initial glance. But it seems as tho they really cant slow Dukes pace down like they normally would like to with other teams. Duke can shoot the 3 much better than most of their other opponents thus making that zone less efficient. Once that happens the pace of the game picks up, and Syracuse basketball isn't about fast pace (not saying they aren't talented enough to play that way, because they certainly are, but its not Boheim normal routine and plan) I still at the moment like taking the 7 points, but I'm just attempting to provide reasoning as to why perhaps Duke is favored by that many. They are a more efficient team offensively than Syracuse has to deal with night in and out thus exploiting the zone a little bit...Idk, I may add this to my card depending on how my other games pan out. But as of now, I LEAN Syracuse, but am passing...
    Points Awarded:

Reno_Thor gave Magnificent 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

TakingVegasMoney
    TakingVegasMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 881

I think it's a duke or no play. Syracuse hasn't been playing good ball as of late and has had a lot of trouble scoring the basketball as well. Duke will be able to shoot over the zone and let's not forget... They are at home!!

Jikos

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
    I like Syracuse here at initial glance. But it seems as tho they really cant slow Dukes pace down like they normally would like to with other teams. Duke can shoot the 3 much better than most of their other opponents thus making that zone less efficient. Once that happens the pace of the game picks up, and Syracuse basketball isn't about fast pace (not saying they aren't talented enough to play that way, because they certainly are, but its not Boheim normal routine and plan) I still at the moment like taking the 7 points, but I'm just attempting to provide reasoning as to why perhaps Duke is favored by that many. They are a more efficient team offensively than Syracuse has to deal with night in and out thus exploiting the zone a little bit...Idk, I may add this to my card depending on how my other games pan out. But as of now, I LEAN Syracuse, but am passing...
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post and answer my question. Having watched their first match, and considering the opener of 5.5 points, it seems that duke is attracting money from the public in expectation of a bounce back game and that Syracuse is being avoided by the public because of a single lackluster performance against BC. Using this info I've concluded that Syracuse getting 7 points is a +EV bet, even if they get blown out tonight. Thanks again for the help.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

I think Duke blows the doors off of Cuse tonight. Duke outplayed them in the Carrier Dome but were fukked by the refs numerous times down the stretch. You better believe they are still steaming from that robbery. Duke has the better offense, shoot better midrange, 3 point shots and can break down the press from top of the key. Cuse is struggling on offense which is why they have had such close games the last 3 weeks. I would look towards a bounce back after the BC loss BUT you don't bounce back losing to a pathetic team like BC, especially at home. They are just not playing good basketball.

I've got Duke first half -3.5 and game -6. I'll probably add Duke 2nd half as well for the trifecta.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Coach K overrated also, watch how his offense is against the zone, they dont do much, shooting 3's is not the way to BEAT a zone, but since Cuse is pathetic offensively it evens out.

TakingVegasMoney

I like duke 1h as well. Going to see how the rest of my plays finish before I lock anything else in

Reno_Thor

I bit the bullet and got Cuse @ -6. I anticipate a close game and think Duke might be tired after playing 3 games in 5 days and having only 1 day to prepare for the Cuse zone D. If Duke gets hot on the 3 I am doomed but will be a fun game to watch none the less. Also hoping the pathetic loss to BC serves as motivation for the orange to get their O in gear as the regular season end is nigh.

TakingVegasMoney

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Thor View Post
    I bit the bullet and got Cuse @ -6. I anticipate a close game and think Duke might be tired after playing 3 games in 5 days and having only 1 day to prepare for the Cuse zone D. If Duke gets hot on the 3 I am doomed but will be a fun game to watch none the less. Also hoping the pathetic loss to BC serves as motivation for the orange to get their O in gear as the regular season end is nigh.
    I don't buy into the tired thing. These are 18-20 year old kids we are talking about. It isn't the San Antonio spurs with Duncan and Ginobli. Also, in regards to preparing for that vaunting 2-3 zone -- there really isn't much to prepare for. Jay Bilas said it best, you can only do 4 or 5 things against it and I think Coach K has coached enough games to know exactly what he wants to do and doesn't need multiple days to get things figured out (considering they played pretty well last time they played)

Reno_Thor

TVM,
    Totally respect your thoughts on the "tired" angle and would likely side with you had I not watched the second half of the Duke/NC game. Duke looked exhausted although they also seemed to get the short end of the stuck from the refs.

Best of luck, cheers.

Trmeyer
    Trmeyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

The res have their Duke undies on, boys. It's gonna make you sick to watch them get every call at home. I just got Duke-5.5 at 5dimes. GL

TakingVegasMoney

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Thor View Post
    TVM,
    Totally respect your thoughts on the "tired" angle and would likely side with you had I not watched the second half of the Duke/NC game. Duke looked exhausted although they also seemed to get the short end of the stuck from the refs.

Best of luck, cheers.
    Thanks. You too, pal

TeeRose
    TeeRose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3534

Take Syracuse +7 and Duke ML, thank me later!!

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Quote Originally Posted by Jikos View Post
    First of all I didn't call you a loser. Second of all there is no chance you cap any of your games like that. Third of all duke is not one of the plays in your thread. Fourth of all I do not give a shit who covers the spread; being results oriented is a very weak minded thing to be, I like to get 7 points when the spread should be 5, whatever happens in the game I can't control. Fifth of all your response contains no information that can be helpful to anybody. You did not answer my question. You lose. Good day sir.
    Well actually sir I am having a wonderful day as of now. No I do not have Syracuse up yet because I do not wager on anything in the top 25 because I do believe there are powers that be sitting in Vegas putting their touch on the most exposed games and teams. If you do not think that the bookmakers do not put up lines that entice the easiest and most novice of gamblers I do not know what to tell you. That is my edge when it comes to high profile and nationally televised games. When something does not like right it probably is not. We have been told this throughout the existence of civilization. And I like to put my plays in closer to the game because I like to watch where the numbers settle.

The only thing Syracuse has going for itself this year is that zone. They are an average team that will not overwhelm anyone. Just look at the past ten games. They have mostly been first half struggles with the second half basically being a defensive battle to catch up. And they have doing this against lackluster teams. I was not surprised at all at the BC loss. Duke will shoot over the zone and probably put on a run that will put the fire out early in Syracuse.

Good luck! I'm winning. Check the thread. Good day sir.

TeeRose

I do not wager on anything in the top 25 because I do believe there are powers that be sitting in Vegas putting their touch on the most exposed games and teams. .
    Very Interesting

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRose View Post
    Very Interesting
    TeeRose if you look at most of the games in the Top 25 you pretty much can fade. I am not saying that it happens all the time but check the games.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Jikos, I do not see this is your everyday thread but I do not want to hold conversations in your thread; in other words I do not want to take away from what you originally asked. I probably won't play that game because of the discipline I have that requires me to stick to my parameters in college ball. I will be on the sidelines watching rooting for my Orange. I am from New York City. I am an alumni of South Carolina.

I wish you luck and I hope my Orange pull it out.

isotopes
    isotopes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Either cuse wakes up from the bc loss and wins straight up or they continue no offense and duke covers. Depends which cuse team shows up. Remember last years final four team lost 4 of 5 to end the year.

Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

Barber, I don't agree fully with your logic of the powers that be in Vegas putting touches on the "big time" games to alter their outcome. I think you could have just as much to worry about in the small conference "minor market" or "no market" (tv) games. Those are the games that nobody would sniff at with a funny outcome, because you could just chalk it up to "...Ahh, those kids aren't that talented anyhow...that's why they blew the lead" or due to them not being on TV, there is nothing to be seen by the public eye. I'm not saying that your 100% wrong, but what I'm saying is that you cant narrowly scope down any funny business to the "Big time" games is all...

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Quote Originally Posted by Jikos View Post
    Oh and yes I do cap my games like that! Check my NFL thread. My whole concept was behind the feeding the general public nonsense in lines. The majority of wagers are those that have no clue to what the hell they are doing. The majority of the money goes on high profile teams just because they are always in the media and on ESPN. If I did not know jack squat about Duke or Syracuse and just wanted to place a wager I would run and take Syracuse because even my mother knows Syracuse is ranked #1. And oh boy, they are getting 7 in a basketball game. That is too easy! Reminds me of Denver and the Super Bowl. I laughed all the way to the bank.

Good luck!

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
    Barber, I don't agree fully with your logic of the powers that be in Vegas putting touches on the "big time" games to alter their outcome. I think you could have just as much to worry about in the small conference "minor market" or "no market" (tv) games. Those are the games that nobody would sniff at with a funny outcome, because you could just chalk it up to "...Ahh, those kids aren't that talented anyhow...that's why they blew the lead" or due to them not being on TV, there is nothing to be seen by the public eye. I'm not saying that your 100% wrong, but what I'm saying is that you cant narrowly scope down any funny business to the "Big time" games is all...
    I did not say there was funny business. That line is to damn enticing. Syracuse is not a juggernaut. I believe it is enough for a whopping percentage to put money on it and bring that line way down. Duke covers. I am sorry. But best of luck to you guys. Ever wonder how ten or so guys get most of these games exactly right? No one has figured out how to beat them. I mean beat them where they are put out of business.

Hey, however, to each there own. I always win. I am not putting anybody out of business but I make cheese! I am trying to figure out to shut the house down. I know I can't but it helps me get better at this.

Good luck!

TeeRose

Oh and yes I do cap my games like that! Check my NFL thread. My whole concept was behind the feeding the general public nonsense in lines. The majority of wagers are those that have no clue to what the hell they are doing. The majority of the money goes on high profile teams just because they are always in the media and on ESPN. If I did not know jack squat about Duke or Syracuse and just wanted to place a wager I would run and take Syracuse because even my mother knows Syracuse is ranked #1. And oh boy, they are getting 7 in a basketball game. That is too easy! Reminds me of Denver and the Super Bowl. I laughed all the way to the bank.

Good luck!
    so you like to bet on the Underdogs and fade the public, but lowkey underdogs that don't have the spotlight on their games?. I was shocked when I heard you say you don't play the top 25, I have never heard that before, I will look into it more now that you told me about it.