mahncpa
    mahncpa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3000

William & Mary a pick???

Bill and Mary just beat JMU by 22 on 1/18 at home. Are they that bad on the road
    that this game is a pick? Any injuries? Have been trying to find more info.

2Shirts
    2Shirts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

Yeah - these are college kids. Who knows what they are going to do game to game, and then throw in playing on the road on top of that. JMU will most likely win.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by mahncpa View Post
    Bill and Mary just beat JMU by 22 on 1/18 at home. Are they that bad on the road
    that this game is a pick? Any injuries? Have been trying to find more info.
    Only injury issue is that Andre Nation had just come back for the first meeting and JMU is starting to round into form now that they have their best player back. W&M is a decent road team (8-3-1 ATS L12) and better away this year and last than they have been historically. In the past, they always seemed to struggle playing in Harrisonburg and vs JMU in general, in large part because JMU is always much more athletic than the Tribe. However, this year's W&M is one of their best teams of the past two decades (not saying much, i know). Tribe won big vs JMU in Williamsburg, but they were -5' in that game so pk now is completely consistent. Tribe shot lights out in 1H of first meeting and ran Dukes off the court by halftime, but that was something of an aberration.

Tribe off big home loss to Delaware this week where they were playing for first place in the Colonial. One could argue for W&M letdown spot, but i don't think so. They are very experienced senior-laden team so i think that if anything Wednesday's loss will motivate them today. Shaver is a solid coach (my brother played for him at HSC) and they generally tend to perform well after a loss, esp a bad one. Frankly, they aren't a good enough program or team to letdown vs anyone. JMU is more athletic, W&M more experienced. Matchup is decent for Tribe: their weakness is perimeter defending, but JMU shoots poorly; JMU relies on a lot of point from the line but Tribe good at avoiding putting opponents on the line. Nation will get his, no doubt, but Tribe shot like shit vs Delaware and I don't expect a repeat today and Tribe offense very balanced. I'm on Tribe today, but then again, I've never bet against them since they're my team.

BOL whatever you decide.

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by 2Shirts View Post
    Yeah - these are college kids. Who knows what they are going to do game to game, and then throw in playing on the road on top of that. JMU will most likely win.
    I never understand this logic. Effort of college players is far more predictable than that of pros. They are not as talented, sure, but the effort is always much more consistent, esp in hoops (see, e.g., OKC the last two nights). NFL is better because there is only one game a week. When an NBA team plays 4-plus games in a week, you can pretty much guarantee that they will not show up for at least one, esp when one is in a town that's fun (e.g., NYC, Miami, Chicago).
    Last edited by BiffTFinancial; 02-02-14 at 10:05 AM.

mahncpa
    mahncpa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3000

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    Only injury issue is that Andre Nation had just come back for the first meeting and JMU is starting to round into form now that they have their best player back. W&M is a decent road team (8-3-1 ATS L12) and better away this year and last than they have been historically. In the past, they always seemed to struggle playing in Harrisonburg and vs JMU in general, in large part because JMU is always much more athletic than the Tribe. However, this year's W&M is one of their best teams of the past two decades (not saying much, i know). Tribe won big vs JMU in Williamsburg, but they were -5' in that game so pk now is completely consistent. Tribe shot lights out in 1H of first meeting and ran Dukes off the court by halftime, but that was something of an aberration.

Tribe off big home loss to Delaware this week where they were playing for first place in the Colonial. One could argue for W&M letdown spot, but i don't think so. They are very experienced senior-laden team so i think that if anything Wednesday's loss will motivate them today. Shaver is a solid coach (my brother played for him at HSC) and they generally tend to perform well after a loss, esp a bad one. Frankly, they aren't a good enough program or team to letdown vs anyone. JMU is more athletic, W&M more experienced. Matchup is decent for Tribe: their weakness is perimeter defending, but JMU shoots poorly; JMU relies on a lot of point from the line but Tribe good at avoiding putting opponents on the line. Nation will get his, no doubt, but Tribe shot like shit vs Delaware and I don't expect a repeat today and Tribe offense very balanced. I'm on Tribe today, but then again, I've never bet against them since they're my team.

BOL whatever you decide.
    Biff, thanks for the analysis. Still haven't pulled the trigger. Leaning W&M still. Best of luck to you.

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by mahncpa View Post
    Biff, thanks for the analysis. Still haven't pulled the trigger. Leaning W&M still. Best of luck to you.
    Sure thing!

As i said, key will be JMU getting an advantage either from deep or at FT line, which goes against the grain of this match-up. Tribe 9-13 3PT, 6-6 FTs vs JMU 3-9 3PT, 7-8 FTs in first half. W&M +17-point differential in those two categories 1H. Keep it up, Tribe.