CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

If a Catholic Basketball League was formed what would happen?

I think Conference realignment is extremely fascinating. I no a lot of people dis like it a lot but I think it is rather comical and good for the sport, others obviously think it is bad for the sport but im not trying to start an argument here. My question is though how would the country react or even just college basketball fans react if a CATHOLIC LEAGUE was formed. I mean honestly those seven Institutions are Catholic programs and they could easily go and grab Xavier, St.Louis, and Dayton. And then the hilarious kicker would be when Notre Dame see's that their is a Catholic League now and demand that they are let in even though they have a football team also. That would be the interesting part if the league would let them join. But anyways you have 7 Catholic Universities who are going to leave and find a new home. So what do they do they grab Xavier,St.Louis, and Dayton from the A-10 and form a 10 team Catholic League Basketball Powerhouse. I hope know one actually thought the Big East was going to stay afloat..... I saw this train wreck coming when I was a freshmen in high school..... It was bound to happen. And I dont give a shit about College Football my Sport is College Basketball. So I hope this forms so all those College Football Teams can go fuk themselves and watch a real conference form.

You would have

Marquette
    Depaul
    Georgetown
    Providence
    St.Johns
    Seton Hall
    Villanova
    Xavier
    St.Louis
    Dayton

If your telling me that a television deal couldnt be formed out of that then that is completely out of wack.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

The problem is that there just isn't enough demand for basketball. 60 years ago the most popular sports in America were Baseball, Boxing, and Horse Racing. Today its Pro Football, College Football, and Fantasy Football. And 4th place is the NFL Draft. During the NCAA Tournament in March I hear more talk about the draft than the tournament on the radio.

Even bad college football out-draws good college basketball for ratings. Plus stadium size means a lot more people will probably turn out to see UCF play UConn in football than would watch Villanova play St. Johns. The Catholic schools are some of the smallest schools in Division 1. Providence has fewer than 5000 students. Some of these schools play in high school sized gyms.

For all the bellyaching the Catholic Schools did about Tulane have you seen DePaul lately? Not to mention Seton Hall's athletics program is such a mess they almost got kicked out of the Big East on their own a little while ago.