Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Hopefully tonight's cancelation will put an end to these games on Aircraft carriers

Game is meant to be played in a gym not on a boat.

in2thethickofit
    in2thethickofit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I agree, even the Mich St game which is on land but in a fukkin hangar in Germany? Then they spend an hour showing us around the base. If I wanted to do that (no disrespect to our troops) I would go to youtube and watch and learn all the sh*t about "Hanger No.5". I bet on the stupid game and lost but I don't want to wait a fukkin EXTRA hour to find out I'm a loser.

Maybe next time they can play in a circus tent and have the refs dress up like the ** - Geezch!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

stupid

detroitlionsfan
    detroitlionsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree

who had the idea to play on a boat anyway

why not just play on a cruiser and let the waves rock you around

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Tarheels only team to fukkn do it and get it done!!!

fukk the rest of NCAAB

Semper Fidelis
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9220

I am going to be calm in my response to you, as I do not know you at all, and you probably don't know the reason they play these games. If I would've noticed this thread during the 1st half of the Kentucky game, I would've flipped out on you (because I had Maryland + the points).

For those of you that don't know, they play these games to raise money for several groups designed to help troops and veterans. I myself am a veteran, a United States Marine, and spent seven months in Fallujah and the Al Anbar Provice in 2007. I won't begin to describe to you the hell we went through over there, and what I experienced with my brothers. All I will say is that it is nothing any human being should ever have to endure. I lost many close friends and will always have old battle scars, both physical and emotional/psychological. That is the burden I carry, but is worth it for the freedom it has bought and secured everyone. All of this to say that these aren't just some normal "games" that are being played. They have a purpose, which I don't expect anyone else to truly be able to understand. I agree that basketball games should be played outside, but that doesn't mean they should cancel these games; maybe find another venue. And it doesn't bother us that you could care less about Hanger No. 5 or anything else related to the military for that matter; we already know most of you could care less about what we do. We're used to other Americans being oblivious to us--you're all worried about high gas costs and losing bets and could care less we have a war going on right now thousands of miles away where other young men and women are sacrificing their own lives so that you can have the freedom to bet on your games and bitch about losing them and being forced to see a special about a ship or hanger. I won't apologize for being so defensive either; this obviously is a very sensitive subject to me and other veterans. You don't have to care about what we do or the sacrifices we make every day on your behalf, but you sure as hell better give us the respect that we have selflessly earned. Tomorrow I will celebrate the 237th birthday of my Marine Corps, and it would be nice to know there are at least a few out there that realize there is a purpose to these events and for once they could see the bigger picture and care about something other than winning/losing bets.
    Points Awarded:

SBR Lou gave Semper Fidelis 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

shooms79 gave Semper Fidelis 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 8 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DJ Dalamar, CollegeOverUnder, frankzig, ZetaPsi808, steady hustlin, SBR Lou, shooms79, and darkghost

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
    I am going to be calm in my response to you, as I do not know you at all, and you probably don't know the reason they play these games. If I would've noticed this thread during the 1st half of the Kentucky game, I would've flipped out on you (because I had Maryland + the points).

For those of you that don't know, they play these games to raise money for several groups designed to help troops and veterans. I myself am a veteran, a United States Marine, and spent seven months in Fallujah and the Al Anbar Provice in 2007. I won't begin to describe to you the hell we went through over there, and what I experienced with my brothers. All I will say is that it is nothing any human being should ever have to endure. I lost many close friends and will always have old battle scars, both physical and emotional/psychological. That is the burden I carry, but is worth it for the freedom it has bought and secured everyone. All of this to say that these aren't just some normal "games" that are being played. They have a purpose, which I don't expect anyone else to truly be able to understand. I agree that basketball games should be played outside, but that doesn't mean they should cancel these games; maybe find another venue. And it doesn't bother us that you could care less about Hanger No. 5 or anything else related to the military for that matter; we already know most of you could care less about what we do. We're used to other Americans being oblivious to us--you're all worried about high gas costs and losing bets and could care less we have a war going on right now thousands of miles away where other young men and women are sacrificing their own lives so that you can have the freedom to bet on your games and bitch about losing them and being forced to see a special about a ship or hanger. I won't apologize for being so defensive either; this obviously is a very sensitive subject to me and other veterans. You don't have to care about what we do or the sacrifices we make every day on your behalf, but you sure as hell better give us the respect that we have selflessly earned. Tomorrow I will celebrate the 237th birthday of my Marine Corps, and it would be nice to know there are at least a few out there that realize there is a purpose to these events and for once they could see the bigger picture and care about something other than winning/losing bets.
    ^^THIS. You selfish brokedik fuxcks need to understand that there's more to life than losing money

CollegePro
    CollegePro's Avatar Become A Pro!

i hope your air betting ends soon

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

much respect

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

Dude, this is a gambling forum. From a gambler's perspective, it's annoying to have games cancelled

None of these guys went onto a Military veterans forum and posted anything to cause disrespect

Saying that problems arise with games on the aircraft carriers isn't meant to be offensive to you and your troops, nor should it be taken as offensive.

I do have much respect for our armed forces, but let's be real here...

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by ramones951 View Post
    Dude, this is a gambling forum. From a gambler's perspective, it's annoying to have games cancelled

None of these guys went onto a Military veterans forum and posted anything to cause disrespect

Saying that problems arise with games on the aircraft carriers isn't meant to be offensive to you and your troops, nor should it be taken as offensive.

I do have much respect for our armed forces, but let's be real here...
    I realize the main premise behind this thread was to convey the frustration at these games being canceled. Like the rest of you here, I gamble to make money, and I hate it when this stuff happens just as much as the next person. However, to say someone could care less about a base or a hanger is disrespectful. I understand he probably meant no harm at all by it, that he wasn't bashing us, but you need to understand how we veterans and troops view comments like this. We don't want to hear how you don't care about what we do, don't want to hear how we inconvenienced you with your wagering. I understand that wasn't a direct attack and he probably didn't realize how we might interpret that, but it is disrespectful to hear nonetheless. I'm merely trying to get people to understand how these comments come across to us. That is all I will say on the matter.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

sorry i agree with emily. its not fair to the kids to cancel these games. im ok with them playing in the gym in germany at the air force base, but these spectacles are unnecessary on the boats. its as much to make a splashy start to the season as it is for the veterans.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

I could understand rain stopping the game but it was condensation for both. They probably should of thought of something to help prevent that I'm sure there is a way. Rain would be unpredictable and unfortunate but condensation they should of known was coming the whole time.

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Most troops need some entertainment to break up the monotony. There are over 50,000 US military members in Germany alone with little to nothing to do. This is what happens when Republicans build a military the size of ours. We have hundreds of thousands of military personnel in 150 countries worldwide. Total waste of resourses for those in the military and our tax money.
    Last edited by MeatWad; 11-10-12 at 08:18 AM.

BranchDavidian
    BranchDavidian's Avatar Become A Pro!

I realize the main premise behind this thread was to convey the frustration at these games being canceled. Like the rest of you here, I gamble to make money, and I hate it when this stuff happens just as much as the next person. However, to say someone could care less about a base or a hanger is disrespectful. I understand he probably meant no harm at all by it, that he wasn't bashing us, but you need to understand how we veterans and troops view comments like this. We don't want to hear how you don't care about what we do, don't want to hear how we inconvenienced you with your wagering. I understand that wasn't a direct attack and he probably didn't realize how we might interpret that, but it is disrespectful to hear nonetheless. I'm merely trying to get people to understand how these comments come across to us. That is all I will say on the matter.
    You seem to be a little over sensitive here. When a gambler says that he isn't interested in watching a tour of some military base, that shows no disrespect for you or the military. Just as some blacks cry racism at any perceived slight ( i.e. it is "racist" for a member of any other race to use the n-word, while rappers use it in every sentence ), you want to feel insulted because a basketball fan is not interested in a tour of some base? Do you think all of America should be ordered to watch and enjoy? Is it unAmerican to suggest that there might be a better way to fund these veterans groups? There are way too many touchy people around here! Too many people get insulted where there is no insult.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

of course someone had to make this a political issue at some point

this is about networks wanting to make a splashy start to the season and using the military as their excuse, has nothing to do with politics.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Very true meatwad. Democrats also do nothing to shrink the size of that bloated military that both parties use to fight needless wars of aggression based on a religious ideology.

1.2 million in America finally realize what the endgame is and voted Libertarian last Tuesday. The rest of the sheep continue to march behind their man's staff straight to the slaughter house.

eastern2
    eastern2's Avatar Become A Pro!

much respect - playing the game @ a hanger was a good idea but the ship games are/were a debacle under the current setup. The problem lies with TV IMO. If you're going to play on a ship, PLAY THE GAME during the DAY so the moisture problem won't affect the game. Screw TV, the game should be for the Military's enjoyment right? Play the game during the day and this problem will be avoided IMO

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by BranchDavidian View Post
    You seem to be a little over sensitive here. When a gambler says that he isn't interested in watching a tour of some military base, that shows no disrespect for you or the military. Just as some blacks cry racism at any perceived slight ( i.e. it is "racist" for a member of any other race to use the n-word, while rappers use it in every sentence ), you want to feel insulted because a basketball fan is not interested in a tour of some base? Do you think all of America should be ordered to watch and enjoy? Is it unAmerican to suggest that there might be a better way to fund these veterans groups? There are way too many touchy people around here! Too many people get insulted where there is no insult.
    Did you not read any of my posts at all??? I said I realize the whole point to this thread was to convey the frustration of playing the games on the ships and having them canceled. I realize nobody was attacking us, and I never said that people should be forced to watch something like that. All I said was we don't want to hear that you care nothing about a base or hanger! You think that makes us feel good, knowing that the hard work and sacrifices we make every day on your behalf mean little to you? That is disrespectful, and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, ask any veteran or soldier how they would view this comment! We would never expect you to understand anyway because you have no damn clue what it's like. I'm simply trying to get people to understand the way these comments and views come across to us. End of story.

BranchDavidian
    BranchDavidian's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did you not read any of my posts at all??? I said I realize the whole point to this thread was to convey the frustration of playing the games on the ships and having them canceled. I realize nobody was attacking us, and I never said that people should be forced to watch something like that. All I said was we don't want to hear that you care nothing about a base or hanger! You think that makes us feel good, knowing that the hard work and sacrifices we make every day on your behalf mean little to you? That is disrespectful, and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, ask any veteran or soldier how they would view this comment! We would never expect you to understand anyway because you have no damn clue what it's like. I'm simply trying to get people to understand the way these comments and views come across to us. End of story.
    I am a veteran. All I am trying to point out to you is that the comment you object to was not meant the way you take it! The poster in post #2 says he tuned in to watch the game, not take a tour of the hanger. So, then, you come in here all high and mighty acting like the guy insulted our troops and the American way. Chill out a little. The fact that a poster is bored with the tour is O.K., man.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Did you have 13.2 million on YES - 50000 the game will be played?

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a basketball game where millions of dollars have been bet. If they would have started the game at 5:30 as listed they would not have had the condensation issue.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

You would think there would be record number of players losing their lunch would you not?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Fukkin spectacle

Dumb idea to begin with

Was actually surprised the Mich St-North Carolina game last year went off without a hitch

in2thethickofit

I am the person who you think said that I didn't care...and YOU ARE RIGHT (when it comes to watching basketball). I just want to watch the game. I have been to youtube and looked at what the military does/lives and I have MUCH RESPECT for it...you have missed the point. The game was scheduled at all the books to start at 3:30 PM (MT) and did not start until 4:30 PM (MT)...sorry but this pissed me off. You have made this political and that is not what I meant...doesn't anyone else care when a game starts later than they said. Basketball/hangars/ships just don't mix...play the fukkin game in a gym!!!

in2thethickofit

Quote Originally Posted by BranchDavidian View Post
    I am a veteran. All I am trying to point out to you is that the comment you object to was not meant the way you take it! The poster in post #2 says he tuned in to watch the game, not take a tour of the hanger. So, then, you come in here all high and mighty acting like the guy insulted our troops and the American way. Chill out a little. The fact that a poster is bored with the tour is O.K., man.
    That was me that posted that...THANK YOU

uncynd
    America Jr
    uncynd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Personally I found last night tragic for the sport.

The carrier games attract a shitton of attention and TV viewers to the great game of NCAA basketball the kind of exposure that benefits pretty much everyone involved even bettors. I also really appreciate the exposure to the armed forces and the brave men and women who dedicate their lives to military service, while I almost don't support a single initiative the US military has conducted in my lifetime these people deserve our respect and admiration. You cannot argue the overwhelming positives here.

Last night the court was unplayable at several intervals, it sucked and it created a pretty brutal situation in two separate games. It made almost everyone involved look bad, no one can argue that either.

I'm fairly sure they knew weather was a possible issue and were prepared to deal with a cancellation but the condensation is another animal. I hope they can come up with a solution to the condensation issues in the future so that the carrier games can continue, personally I like NCAA basketball and would like to see it grow.

jimminn
    jimminn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5771

If it was for collecting money why didn't they play the game in an arena where they could seat 20,0000 people and send the proceeds in as a donation and how much did it cost to set up the court and the expenses to fly the teams over there. A complete waste of money and I really don't know why we have these bases all over the world in the first place. No reason for any of these dumb wars. Bring all the troops home. I wanted to see basket ball against 2 good basket ball teams and not a tour of wasteful spending by our government.

uncynd
    America Jr
    uncynd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Quote Originally Posted by jimminn View Post
    If it was for collecting money why didn't they play the game in an arena where they could seat 20,0000 people and send the proceeds in as a donation and how much did it cost to set up the court and the expenses to fly the teams over there. A complete waste of money and I really don't know why we have these bases all over the world in the first place. No reason for any of these dumb wars. Bring all the troops home. I wanted to see basket ball against 2 good basket ball teams and not a tour of wasteful spending by our government.
    LOL if you think ticket sales makes anybody money in this game.

deezyaz81
    deezyaz81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Couldn't agree more. I can see maybe one game being played on one per year but making this a spectacle everywhere is not a good idea. Throws everyone off from players to coaches and a waste of time and money.

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by in2thethickofit View Post
    I am the person who you think said that I didn't care...and YOU ARE RIGHT (when it comes to watching basketball). I just want to watch the game. I have been to youtube and looked at what the military does/lives and I have MUCH RESPECT for it...you have missed the point. The game was scheduled at all the books to start at 3:30 PM (MT) and did not start until 4:30 PM (MT)...sorry but this pissed me off. You have made this political and that is not what I meant...doesn't anyone else care when a game starts later than they said. Basketball/hangars/ships just don't mix...play the fukkin game in a gym!!!
    I'm not the one who made this political; all the others started posting that crap. Like I said, I understand you meant no disrespect, you clearly weren't bashing veterans or troops or anything like that. I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, just trying to make others aware and conscious that comments like that can be taken in a different or wrong manner. Maybe I am a little sensitive to stuff like this, but I'm sure you can understand that. I'm not upset about it anymore, and I apologize if you took that as a personal attack, I never meant for it to come across like that. No hard feelings bro.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

yep as said ESPN exploiting Veteran's Day hoopla rah rah UhhMerica look how patriotic we are honoring deh trooops. Garbage

Cool stories Semper would read again. You accomplished a lot in this thread and in Iraq

shooms79
    shooms79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2198

Hopefully OPs ignorance and stupid threads is a sign they are not meant to post. Alas that wont happen. Btw love the Heisman thread and GOY today

And the poker bad beats thread. Im glad i was one that knocked you out )

in2thethickofit

I'm not the one who made this political; all the others started posting that crap. Like I said, I understand you meant no disrespect, you clearly weren't bashing veterans or troops or anything like that. I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, just trying to make others aware and conscious that comments like that can be taken in a different or wrong manner. Maybe I am a little sensitive to stuff like this, but I'm sure you can understand that. I'm not upset about it anymore, and I apologize if you took that as a personal attack, I never meant for it to come across like that. No hard feelings bro.
    I appreciate your service to our country! GL to you on all your plays!