Originally <a href='/showthread.php?p=16714830'>posted</a> on 11/10/2012:

I am going to be calm in my response to you, as I do not know you at all, and you probably don't know the reason they play these games. If I would've noticed this thread during the 1st half of the Kentucky game, I would've flipped out on you (because I had Maryland + the points).

For those of you that don't know, they play these games to raise money for several groups designed to help troops and veterans. I myself am a veteran, a United States Marine, and spent seven months in Fallujah and the Al Anbar Provice in 2007. I won't begin to describe to you the hell we went through over there, and what I experienced with my brothers. All I will say is that it is nothing any human being should ever have to endure. I lost many close friends and will always have old battle scars, both physical and emotional/psychological. That is the burden I carry, but is worth it for the freedom it has bought and secured everyone. All of this to say that these aren't just some normal "games" that are being played. They have a purpose, which I don't expect anyone else to truly be able to understand. I agree that basketball games should be played outside, but that doesn't mean they should cancel these games; maybe find another venue. And it doesn't bother us that you could care less about Hanger No. 5 or anything else related to the military for that matter; we already know most of you could care less about what we do. We're used to other Americans being oblivious to us--you're all worried about high gas costs and losing bets and could care less we have a war going on right now thousands of miles away where other young men and women are sacrificing their own lives so that you can have the freedom to bet on your games and bitch about losing them and being forced to see a special about a ship or hanger. I won't apologize for being so defensive either; this obviously is a very sensitive subject to me and other veterans. You don't have to care about what we do or the sacrifices we make every day on your behalf, but you sure as hell better give us the respect that we have selflessly earned. Tomorrow I will celebrate the 237th birthday of my Marine Corps, and it would be nice to know there are at least a few out there that realize there is a purpose to these events and for once they could see the bigger picture and care about something other than winning/losing bets.