RoadDog
    I'm not negative, I'm a realist
    RoadDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Early Reports out of Chicago

That Shaka Smart is close to turning down a deal that would guarantee him to be paid in the top 3 of Big 10 coaches and a contractual promise to renovate their facilities. Just heard this on 670 the score (if anyone is from Chicago).

Reports havent been confirmed yet, but if Shaka declines, what does this say about the shape of Illinois? It's not a top 15 program anymore. Shaka would be smart to wait for a real top 10 job to open because right now he can pick and choose where he wants to go. He's "comfortable" in VCU until that Kansas/Kentucky job opens up

Owls
    Owls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 809

Shaka Smart's Havoc System ain't gonna work against Big 10 teams, most who have athletes and good coaching. Basically VCU is a no lose situation, they get good recruits that stay 4 years, you don't have much pressure, and he's already got the reputation as a great coach which will help him land a top 10 job. Illinois is definitely not top 10, maybe not even top 20 anymore.

RoadDog

That's the argument I was making to PickWinner a couple weeks ago. Why would you want to go to Illinois right now? Recruiting Chicago is impossible. He is comfy-cozy right now sitting like a king at VCU. Why mess with that? If Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, ever open up, I'm sure Mr. Smart will bolt out of VCU like the roadrunner.

Scuba Gooding Jr
    Scuba Gooding Jr's Avatar Become A Pro!

He turned town the NC State job last year, not surprised he turned down this one.

RoadDog

He didnt turn it down yet. They were just early reports. Nothing confirmed.

Scuba Gooding Jr
    Scuba Gooding Jr's Avatar Become A Pro!

RoadDog

Nice. Thanks for that. Am at work and didnt hear.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Owls View Post
    Shaka Smart's Havoc System ain't gonna work against Big 10 teams, most who have athletes and good coaching.
    Worked for about 49 minutes vs Indiana

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

VCU is a winning program, and been that way for about a decade. Why leave?

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

sad day for fans.....luckily im not GO BUCKS..........wonder who they will get..

Sacdaddy05
    Sacdaddy05's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2610

roaddog
    shaka would not be consider for the UK job and i could almost say not the KU JOB.. COME ON MAN... there stepping stones from a VCU to a UK. Believe me kentucky learned threre lesson when they hired Billy Gillespe!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    That Shaka Smart is close to turning down a deal that would guarantee him to be paid in the top 3 of Big 10 coaches and a contractual promise to renovate their facilities. Just heard this on 670 the score (if anyone is from Chicago).

Reports havent been confirmed yet, but if Shaka declines, what does this say about the shape of Illinois? It's not a top 15 program anymore. Shaka would be smart to wait for a real top 10 job to open because right now he can pick and choose where he wants to go. He's "comfortable" in VCU until that Kansas/Kentucky job opens up

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    That's the argument I was making to PickWinner a couple weeks ago. Why would you want to go to Illinois right now? Recruiting Chicago is impossible. He is comfy-cozy right now sitting like a king at VCU. Why mess with that? If Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, ever open up, I'm sure Mr. Smart will bolt out of VCU like the roadrunner.
    The end.

Nothing else needs to be said. No "up and coming" star in their right mind would leave VCU for Illinois, regardless of how much they're willing to pay him.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Good news, dont let them pimp you Shaka, stay smart.