TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Plays for Saturday 1/10

Wake Up Six Pack (*=Big East Game of the Day)

15 Unit Play: North Carolina State (+12)
    *10 Unit Play: Marquette (-2)
    10 Unit Play: Dayton (-4.5)
    5 Unit Play: Louisville (+2)
    5 Unit Play: Maryland (-8.5)
    5 Unit Play: Georgia (+7.5)

North Carolina State had a win at Florida in the bag until a late run from Florida. North Carolina State has been beat by Marquette by 3, Davidson by 5, and Florida by 2. I don't see Clemson beating them by double digits. I really like the way North Carolina State has looked this year and I think they will turn some heads in the ACC.

Marquette is at home against West Virginia. I'm not sold on West Virginia right now and I think that Truck Bryant and the rest of WV's guards will struggle with the talent and experience of James, McNeal, and Matthews. Marquette is very tough at home as well, ask Wisconsin and Villanova.

Dayton is a solid team that plays stout defensively and UMass is one of the worst coached teams I've seen this year. They have no clue on offense and I don't see them breaking 60 on Dayton. Dayton isn't great offensively but they should at least score 65 or so. Dayton is just too talented and WELL COACHED for UMass.

Call it a homer pick if you want but Louisville should beat Villanova on Saturday. Villanova will rely on Dante Cunningham to stop Samardo Samuels and that will be a huge mistake. Cunningham is too valuable offensively to guard a big like Samuels. His offense will more than likely be affected and Earl Clark is 2-3 inches taller than whoever will start out guarding him. Edgar Sosa has regained his swagger and I think the Big East will find out fast that Louisville is as good as advertised.

I'm not sure what happened to Georgia Tech this year but they are downright terrible. Maryland is coming off an embarassing home loss and they will take their frustrations out on Tech. The 8.5 may be scary to some, but Georgia Tech is no match for the Terps. The last Maryland loss should provide more focus for this game and the only way I see this losing is a backdoor cover.

Tennessee is fading fast and the reason is focus. They have no form of offense or defense and rely solely on talent. Bruce Pearl will be in trouble soon, mark my words. Georgia has looked pretty good in its last few games and I think they can stay in the game and keep it in single digits against a Tennessee team that has been embarassed by both Kansas and Temple on the road this year.
    Last edited by TPowell; 01-10-09 at 12:18 AM.

TPowell

15 Unit Play: Oklahoma (-1)
    10 Unit Play: Missouri (-2.5)
    5 Unit Play: DePaul (-6.5)
    5 Unit Play: Vanderbilt (+9)
    5 Unit Play: Rhode Island (+2)

The loss to Arkansas wasnt great but I think we can all agree that Arkansas is a legit top 20 team. Kansas State is nowhere near that level that right now. Oklahoma will find a way to get it done because thats what they do. Blake Griffin shouldnt find much opposition against K-State and this may be my favorite play of the day.

Nebraska is just waiting to be exposed IMO. Missouri has some very good wins this year and I think they are too talented for Nebraska. Nebraska beat Creighton but outside of that, it looks like that win was a fluke. I'm not sold on Missouri away from home, but Nebraska is nowhere as talented as Illinois, no matter how you slice it. Missouri has some very good players which is more than Nebraska has.

DePaul will finally get a realistic shot of their first Big East win. South Florida isn't very good to start with but are extra terrible away from home. DePaul is the slightly better team and are at home. Dar Tucker is a big time player for DePaul and I see South Florida taking another beating on the road.

Kentucky fans dread having to face Vanderbilt. Vandy always seems to play UK close. The reason is because of basketball IQ. This game is no different, Kentucky is the more talented team by far, but Vanderbilt is well coached and should be able to keep the game in single digits at least.

Rhode Island is a team that I've made a lot of money with this year and they are still underrated. St Joes is down this year and this Rhode Island team can really light up the scoreboard. St Joes won't be able to match RI's ability to put up points in bunches and I expect Rhode Island to win straight up.
    Last edited by TPowell; 01-09-09 at 08:38 PM.

TPowell

10 Unit Play: Stanford (+2)
    10 Unit Play: Boston College (-2)
    10 Unit Play: Rutgers (+7)
    5 Unit Play: UConn (-9)
    5 Unit Play: Nevada (-5)
    5 Unit Play: BYU(-9)
    5 Unit Play: Virginia (+7)
    5 Unit Play: Drexel (+2.5)
    5 Unit Play: Akron (+8.5)
    5 Unit Play: UNLV (-3.5)
    5 Unit Play: Western Kentucky (-2.5)
    5 Unit Play: Creighton (-1)
    5 Unit Play: Troy (-1)
    Last edited by TPowell; 01-10-09 at 12:10 AM.

ACCBball
    ACCBball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

Marquette

10 Unit Play: Marquette (-2)

Love this play!! I will take senior gaurds over freshman any day of the week. Add on top they are at home and only giving 2, man seems too good to be true. Going Marquette big!

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

NC State is the first one I marked down as a potential play tomorrow. Looks good.

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good write ups and research...there are a buttload of games tomorrow and I'm just trying to figure out how to wade through them right now.

Clone Joint
    Clone Joint's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree with Oklahoma and Marquette. Kansas State has an inflated record at home after playing below average teams. They have losses to Kentucky (by only a few mind you) and Oregon. Iowa I no longer consider a good team after that ridiculous loss at home against Minnesota but K-State managed to loose to them too. Oklahoma will be K-State's seventh home game in a row btw. Marquette has superior offensive efficiency (in every category) and a range of experience, as was mentioned that is too hard to overlook. I might consider taking North Carolina State SU, they almost beat Florida. I haven't seen Clemson play but i dont think they are good enough to maintain the streak.

ManBearPig

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    10 Unit Play: Stanford (+2)
    10 Unit Play: Boston College (-2)
    10 Unit Play: Rutgers (+7)
    5 Unit Play: UConn (-9)
    5 Unit Play: Nevada (+5)
    5 Unit Play: BYU(-9)
    5 Unit Play: Virginia (+7)
    5 Unit Play: Drexel (+2.5)
    5 Unit Play: Akron (+8.5)
    5 Unit Play: UNLV (-3.5)
    5 Unit Play: Western Kentucky (-2.5)
    5 Unit Play: Creighton (-1)
    5 Unit Play: Troy (-1)
    Not to nitpick but Nevada is -5 or -4.5 I guess now

TPowell

thanks, yeah it was -5. Big East Game of the Day is Marquette (-2) as well.

huskers22
    huskers22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

I am really liking Oklahoma also.

natescott
    natescott's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Everybody seems to be on marquette but not so fast. West virginia is 4-0 on the road. Two of those road wins were after a quality loss to a good team at home. West Virginia just lost to Uconn at home and looks to rebound against marquette. Marquette is only favored by 2. Before for the line came out I expected it to be around -5. The public will hammer marquette and I should be able to get west virginia at +3.5 or 4.

hajune
    hajune's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mr Powell you do an excellent job! Your thinking processes are logical. Most handicappers have serious flaws in their analysis, you do not. The Dayton game you like is one I like and gave it out to a sports service I help. The only game I do not like is the Louisville game. Louisville has underacheived this year against the spread when data I have used for years and then put into mechanical form had them winning 3 games that they lost. Usually teams that fail when they should win using this data will continue playing below par. I have scouted high school basketball for years in Ky, Ohio and surrounding states. After a while you get a feel for games and teams and how well they will play. You have that touch. I would be interested in talking to you.

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Got all of your early picks too. I'm hoping for a certain win on North Carolina St. Good luck!

BigMoney
    BigMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!

My Early Picks

1) Marquette-2

2) Dayton-4

3) Ill ST-8.5

4)Creighton-1

5) G.Mason-6

maybe tease Butler,Cal,Kansas

maniac0201
    maniac0201's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    15 Unit Play: North Carolina State (+12)
    NC State got you a last minute push. Had they made the last free throw with 35sec left, you would have won.

Clone Joint

OMG just missed NC State by a 1/2. God second time this week. This is unbelievable. Grats on the push

TPowell

tough break but it was a close game for a while. Watched the Louisville game from start to finish so all I saw were scores every now and then. 2-2 start, up 5 units with 1 early game left. Dayton is down 3 early in the second half though.

TPowell

not looking good with the 6 games I have left. Just hope I can survive to the later games today

ManBearPig

Quote Originally Posted by Clone Joint View Post
    OMG just missed NC State by a 1/2. God second time this week. This is unbelievable. Grats on the push
    I'm right there with you almost got the cover with Maryland too...got within two . The shi$$y thing with NC State is the guy just had to make his friggin FT and we cover. I'm not a big fan of buying points but between CHA last night and this I'm starting to rethink. On one hand I don't want to take away from my potential winnings because I don't be a lot but at the same time it would be nice to get something in return.
    Last edited by ManBearPig; 01-10-09 at 01:50 PM.

Clone Joint

IMO, buying points does not make a whole lot of sense. When i make a play normally i set myself a range as to the number of points the team will need or could potentially cover. If the line doesnt fall within that range i dont bet.In Basketball, Buying points is arbitrary . You should be able to tell, in most cases, which way the line is going so just find value plays as best as possible.

TPowell

sorry guys, these current 5 plays are an embarrasment. If Oklahoma can hang on, I can still salvage only a minor loss but if not I'm ****ed today. DePaul and Rhode Island are both losers. Missouri is probably over and Vandy is barely covering at halftime. Need a strong finish today to stay afloat. Record is updated through my first 6 games today

maniac0201
    maniac0201's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everyone has losing days. Hopefully you can salvage a small lose.

Clone Joint

Oklahoma could help us all i imagine. Man, watched the L-ville game, that was that frustrating. From what i can tell, they have fantastic D but some of the guys have poor decision making on offense (and sometimes as a team they are hot/cold shooting). I cant believe Sosa throwing away the ball near the end of the game, similar to Pargo against UCONN. All L-ville needed to do was slow it down and they could of won by 10....rushing it to the basket 10 seconds into the play hurt them.

TPowell

Vandy loses by 10...... down 8 with 16 seconds left and they miss 3 shots, foul UK and UK makes 2 free throws

Degen
    Degen's Avatar Become A Pro!

just awful handicapping

TPowell

I'm up 85 units in just over a week cockboy. I still have Stanford +2 for 10 units. I've had bad beats all day dumb ****. Sorry to those that followed, 2-4 so far in my 10 and 15 unit games. Hopefully Stanford hits and makes this a slightly worse day

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Degen View Post
    just awful handicapping

Fukk you ahole...Tpowell is a great capper..of course you post on one of his worse days you prick...he's had many great days....

Degen
    Degen's Avatar Become A Pro!

just ball bustin' cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllll

I tailed all your picks today...just a little psssed.

ManBearPig

It's not like you held a gun to our heads and made us take yur picks. It is each man's own decision if they want to take yur analysis to heart. Today was just one of those days that a lot spreads were close either winning or losing and a lot of unexpected results. The obvious games turned out to not be so obvious while some of the lesser games were probably the better ones at least this is what it seemed to me looking up and down the spreads and final scores.

I stopped betting after the morning games and I probably could've done a little better in the PM but I just wasn't feeling anything anymore. I mean how many people could've known that NC State would miss a FT that covers the pts or that Maryland would shoot 5% for the first 35 min of the game and barely miss the cover. There were a lot of obvious bets that paid and then there were the not so obvious. When you have this many games how can you seriously pick out all the gems? Who has that much time? This really doesn't have anything to do with capping skills as much as it is the unknown. You can't predict the unpredictable and that's why they play the games.

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Degen View Post
    just ball bustin' cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllll

I tailed all your picks today...just a little psssed.

Alright...I hear ya, you only posted a shot before so it didn't come across well...but really one should never tail, only confirm a feeling you already have...anyways, GL tomorrow...

TPowell

yeah I would advise to just play the 10 and 15 units if you're looking for tailing plays. The mid afternoon games were rough. Wazzu is on a 12-2 run in the 2nd half as a type this..... jesus christ this has been a terrible day

TPowell

finally a little luck, Stanford loses by 1 so I cover on a 10 unit play. Hopefully tommorow will be better

playtowin123
    playtowin123's Avatar Become A Pro!

any early plays for tomorrow?

TPowell

yeah getting ready to make the Sunday thread