dwluv3333
    dwluv3333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Do the words "square" and "sharp" irritate anybody else?

Just saw a post on the board discussing the Bulls v Nets game and some people were asking who could possibly take the Nets ML against a Bulls team that is #1 in the East and on a 7 game winning streak. Another person replied to this question, "A sharp".

Bulls ended up winning by 11.

Now does this bother anyone else? When people like to make bold claims and say that betting the "non-obvious" team is the "sharp" play? I see people attacking others as "squares" when they choose the "obvious" winner that is in a game with a great spread, -1, +1, -2 etc. But rarely do I ever see anyone being attacked as a "square" for trying to be "sharp" by choosing the underdog and subsequently losing. IMO, barring certain games, some people need to realize that favorites are favorites for a reason... but for some reason people on this board will inevitably try to make themselves as the "smarter" posters by choosing the underdog anyways... and then run away after not receiving flak for being wrong.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

I have been saying this since I first got on this board. The whole "sharp" and "square" terminology is just nonesense and used by people as a crutch to try to portray an image of something they are not.

The only true "sharp" play is a winning one. Everything else is just garbage. This is why I have only learned to trust and pay attention to cappers who use logic, knowledge and past results to formulate their judgements on bets. Those that rely on the "sharp" "square" nonsense are just too lazy to provide good insight into why their picks are worth even noticing. I tend to ignore those or even fade in many instances.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Shapie is irritating but not nearly as bad as ITS TRAP. ITS A MUTHERFUCKING TRAP, HIDE YO KIDS< THEY RAPING EYBODY OUTHUY.

MadMajor
    MadMajor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 967

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Shapie is irritating but not nearly as bad as ITS TRAP. ITS A MUTHERFUCKING TRAP, HIDE YO KIDS< THEY RAPING EYBODY OUTHUY.

CHAZ
    5-2-1 (+2.37 units)
    CHAZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3180

It is, but because its way over used. I think there are some sharp plays in certain situations where the public or square bettors didn't see it coming or know about that certain angle. Either way they both win and they both lose so it really doesn't matter

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    You forgot "It's a Lock " to go along with TRAP.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

A sharp is someone who knows when to fade public and when to back them. Just purely fading public means u win 52% of the times. A sharp is someone who wins more than 60%.

tonyp0387
    tonyp0387's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 755

Quote Originally Posted by dwluv3333 View Post
    Just saw a post on the board discussing the Bulls v Nets game and some people were asking who could possibly take the Nets ML against a Bulls team that is #1 in the East and on a 7 game winning streak. Another person replied to this question, "A sharp".

Bulls ended up winning by 11.

Now does this bother anyone else? When people like to make bold claims and say that betting the "non-obvious" team is the "sharp" play? I see people attacking others as "squares" when they choose the "obvious" winner that is in a game with a great spread, -1, +1, -2 etc. But rarely do I ever see anyone being attacked as a "square" for trying to be "sharp" by choosing the underdog and subsequently losing. IMO, barring certain games, some people need to realize that favorites are favorites for a reason... but for some reason people on this board will inevitably try to make themselves as the "smarter" posters by choosing the underdog anyways... and then run away after not receiving flak for being wrong.
    There's no such thing as sharp or square there's just winning tickets and losing tickets. Lines are tricky and the squarest plays win all the time just as the sharp ones . If you have the balls to take the Pistons tonight and lose are u cool for losing i think not.

tonyp0387
    tonyp0387's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 755

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    A sharp is someone who knows when to fade public and when to back them. Just purely fading public means u win 52% of the times. A sharp is someone who wins more than 60%.

Where are these stats fading the public wins 52% of time i think the public wins 50 % . Nobody hits 60 % on a closing line with a 500 game sample. Thats 300 W 200 L.......... think about it

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38361

Are you talking about NO COINCIDENCES

masticore
    masticore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 456

Words I'm tired of in post is: TRAP and RIGGED

mikke

CBASS
    BUCK FAMA
    CBASS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

The one who started this thread must be a 'sharp'.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

terms are definitley over used and thrown around here too much

but you can spot a square.....most people that post here arent the square type

i work with a complete square....he always tries to talk spreads with me...guy only plays major conference games with ranked teams involved....thinks he can gamble because he thinks he knows whos good and whos not....never comes out ahead....

that to me is the definition of a square

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

There is no such thing as square or sharpie on this forum. Its only stupid, or not as stupid (with 1 or 2 exceptions).

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

if you make money you are a sharp
    if you lose money you are a square

is that the jist of it?

masticore
    masticore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 456

[quote=lunchbawks;9258143]...if you make money you are a sharp...
    quote]

Then I'm a sharpie 20% of the time

Romanov
    Diapason Knells
    Romanov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

the word sharp only bugs ya if ya aint a sharp

dwluv3333
    dwluv3333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Iono to me a sharp is someone who makes a decision that is well thought through and justified, win or lose. After that it's way out of our control, almost every day there are a couple games that are upsets or totally did not go as planned. To me luck seems also very much a component of NBA betting as you never know what's gonna come out of the players.

keel44
    Update your status
    keel44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12276

A square is someone who ALWAYS bets Lakers, Yankees, and the best teams without any regard to value. A sharp play is one where you find value, at least your perceived value anyway.

To me, there was no value in the Nets last night. I found the line to be right on. But again that is just my opinion.

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

'RIGGED' is the worst... people make bad picks.. and instead of looking at the stats, or what they failed to notice... game was 'rigged'.. (of course)

funny how nobody ever picks the 'right' side of a rigged game

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38361

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
    'RIGGED' is the worst... people make bad picks.. and instead of looking at the stats, or what they failed to notice... game was 'rigged'.. (of course)

funny how nobody ever picks the 'right' side of a rigged game
    No Coincidences says this everyday. He say they rig nba totals with 2 minutes left