HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Thuggets Make Conference Finals, and the Ewing Theory

First me let me explain the Ewing Theory. I will copy, and paste word for word from a Bill Simmons article.

Also I wanted to add, that many of SBR's posters have given credit to Simmons for creating the theory. But it was his friend, Dave Crilli.

Also, I am not predicting a deep playoff run by the Thuggets, rather asking the question if they were to. Also I was asking if it could be the defining moment of the Ewing Theory in the early 21st Century.

All Bold, and Italic print is comp, and pasted from Simmons article, Ewing Theory 101.

________________________________________ __________

"A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series). "

"That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season."
    ________________________________________ ____________

The example spawned the creation Simmons, and friend Dave Crilli, used was when Patrick Ewing tore his achilles tendon in the '99 NBA Conference Finals. The team was immediately written off, because it was believed that no one would be able to guard Rik Smits, as they were playing the Pacers. Subsequently, the Knicks won three of the next four games, in route to going to the Finals. This was further than hte Knicks had ever gone with Ewing in the lineup.

Please read all of the print, and respond to the Actual question posed by myself.

Thank You
    HoulihansTX
    Last edited by HoulihansTX; 03-04-11 at 04:50 PM.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

No, they won't.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

First round exit. 4-1 or 4-2. They are playing pretty well right now though.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

can't make this statement until the standings are final.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    First me let me explain the Ewing Theory. I will copy, and paste word for word from a Bill Simmons article.

Also I wanted to add, that many of SBR's posters have given credit to Simmons for creating the theory. But it was his friend, Dave Crilli.

Also, I am not predicting a deep playoff run by the Thuggets, rather asking the question if they were to.

________________________________________ __________

"A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series). "

"That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season."

I like the Thuggets. They are playing as a unit now but deep playoff run will be difficult but they certainly could beat OKC in 1R.

Back to the theory though... Peyton Manning did not win a championship in college. Tee Martin won it the next year after all the experts thought Tenny had no chance-just another example to validate the point.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

MAVS year.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Nuggets play a bit of defense these days which changes the whole complexion of the side

Any team will still struggle to go onto the Nuggets home court and take games off them

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Them making it to the Conference Finals, would equal what Melo helped them do 2 years ago... So the theory already doesn't apply to the Nuggets.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    MAVS year.
    Portland will be a tough, tough out once roy gets back to playing 30+ minutes a game. The signs are already there of him having not lost a step. Hitting 2 huge clutch shots against the nuggets after not playing for months was crazy. I said Portland/LA/Mavs coming out of the west I don't know about the Mavs anymore if Butler cannot get healthy. He's probably the Mavs only player (including dirk) that can drive to the rim at will and create contact. Can't just be a jump shooting team in the playoffs.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

I really like Portland too once they get in rhythm with one another. Gereald wallace and Roy can prove to be huge but I don't see them winning the West but I do like there potential.