DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

what would you do? a tough choice

Would you have hedged it and take half the winnings or risk it on one last game to take the full winnings. Where you could potentially lose everything???
    parlay +2400
    hedge +125
    In this case i hedged by taking the Caps and it worked against because the sharks jsut took the lead. So how would you play it?

DemoralizdDreamr

heres the pic
    Attached Images  

pstaff1989
    pstaff1989's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's too late now anyways, sharks up 3-1

DemoralizdDreamr

I already took the Caps ML +125 in the 2nd intermission it worked against me though

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

Its a win, enjoy it. If its a large amount and I have enough money I will hedge it. Hedging is new to me but its something I do now if I have the chance. When I remember and have the next days game available I will toss another game on. It makes the payout larger and if I get that nights games right I can hedge the last game.

I have lost parlays by one game. If I can help it, I won't let it happen again.

James

DemoralizdDreamr

Flexin, you have a good mentality. I have lost like 70% of the parlay where it comes down to the last game. I lost an 8 teamer once because i got greedy and wanted to win it all. since then, I have hedged every time and overall i have made a lot of money this way. Having a conservative style helps in the long run. I went 9-0 today, only loss being the hedge so it doesnt count.

bruce_outside
    bruce_outside's Avatar Become A Pro!

hedge. don't go crazy and lose it all.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by DemoralizdDreamr View Post
    Flexin, you have a good mentality. I have lost like 70% of the parlay where it comes down to the last game. I lost an 8 teamer once because i got greedy and wanted to win it all. since then, I have hedged every time and overall i have made a lot of money this way. Having a conservative style helps in the long run. I went 9-0 today, only loss being the hedge so it doesnt count.
    Thanks

Nice work. If you want to be a bit greedy you could hedge a smaller amount. Maybe a nice 25% win. But taking 50% each time wouldn't hurt my feelings any. Thats why I want to add that extra game on. If I'm going to hedge anyway then I might as well make the pot larger. I did that with a points parlay tonight. The extra game added 80 points (5 point 7 team parlay) so it would have been nice if my games had won.

I just started playing parlays more not to long ago. I made more when I played them before. What I have been trying lately is playing a single game and then parlaying a smaller amount. If the parlay fails me I can make a profit with my single bet for the day. Its been working ok for me.

James

DemoralizdDreamr

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post

Thanks

Nice work. If you want to be a bit greedy you could hedge a smaller amount. Maybe a nice 25% win. But taking 50% each time wouldn't hurt my feelings any. Thats why I want to add that extra game on. If I'm going to hedge anyway then I might as well make the pot larger. I did that with a points parlay tonight. The extra game added 80 points (5 point 7 team parlay) so it would have been nice if my games had won.

I just started playing parlays more not to long ago. I made more when I played them before. What I have been trying lately is playing a single game and then parlaying a smaller amount. If the parlay fails me I can make a profit with my single bet for the day. Its been working ok for me.

James
    Nice, i always try these things just to see how they work out. what i did today was took the kings+1.5 and parlayed with the coyotes ML so it increases the value with little risk. Parlays are a good to way to make up your bank roll if you have a bad week. One unit can easily turn into 8 so i do a lot of them. Usually +400/+500 ish.
    Good luck tomorrow brother

hk3
    hk3's Avatar Become A Pro!

hello i'm kinda new to betting. i've been following for a while but havent made real bets til recently. how do you guys hedge a bet? it's betting on a team and betting against right? do you take the spread and do moneyline for the underdog? and when do you do this? during halftime when you think you lost you bet on the 2nd half?

hk3

how do you hedge the parlay? so let's say i bet 1 unit on -1.5 mavs. would i parlay +1.5 suns and another team?

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Depending on how much the amount means to you. If it's not much, let it ride. Otherwise, hedge.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

[COLOR=#000000 !important]Depending on how much the amount means to you. If it's not much, let it ride. Otherwise, hedge.[/COLOR]

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by hk3 View Post
    how do you hedge the parlay? so let's say i bet 1 unit on -1.5 mavs. would i parlay +1.5 suns and another team?
    Lets say you parlay the Bulls, Lakers, Magic, Knicks, Celtics. Lets also say that the Celtics game doesn't start till after the other four are finished. If this is the case and the first four are right then you can play a single bet for the team the Celtics are playing. Because at this point its down to one game you can guarantee a certain amount of profit. How much profit is up to you. It also depends on how much money you have in your on your book to make a bet with as well.

Lets say the ticket is worth $1000. You could make a bet against the last team to play to win $500. This way no matter what you just won $500. Or you could make that bet to win $250 if your parley wins and this could give you $750 if the parlay wins (depended on the odds because that will decide what you need to pay to get that amount).

In my parlay the second last game didn't finished till at least half way through the first quarter. So I thought my chances were over. Part way through the second I remembered that one of my books might have a second half bet so I found one and played the other team for the second half. From what I remember the parlay ended up wrong so I did save it. But one thing you have to remember is if your team is down 10 at the half and you bet the other team to win the second half you can still lose. The reason is the other team can lose the second half by 9 and still win the game. So you have to think about that before betting that way.

I hope that makes sense.

James

hk3

thanks very much

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by hk3 View Post
    thanks very much
    Your welcome.

James

DemoralizdDreamr

LOL i just sent him the Flexin post in a messaage. I thought you might not be able to find the thread since you last posted 11 hours ago. Yeah he gives a good explanation

Pherst
    Pherst's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 167

I got 6 out of 7 on my parlay today. Unfortunately Washington cost me and as it was the third game in my list, locking in any profit wasn't possible. It really needs to be down to your last one or two games to make this viable. Even so, if you have a chance to take profit by hedging you should always do so. A guaranteed pay day is always better than a 'what could have been' story...

Remember, success = failure + a story...

Mathematically speaking, there will always be a 'break-even' point (for want of a better term) where you can maximise your return regardless of the result. Alternatively, the next best option is to hedge the last game of the parlay to return the outlay of your parlay so at best you come out even. Not ideal, but if you're confident in your parlay it's better to cover off something and play another the next day if the parlay fails...

Hope that makes sense. It's late here...