Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

Lakers and Nuggets Melo Trade Talks

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6101304

I realize the authenticity of espn's stories take backseat to their priority of breaking the news, but is this for real?

Personally, I hate that childish smile of his but he's a good basketball player and that's all that counts...Are we finally going to see a decent basketball team in Los Angeles?

I know we all want the Celtics to lose, but would the Lakers have a realistic shot of winning the championship with Carmelo? Would we finally be able to rise up and tie the Celtics' 17 championships?

zeusky
    zeusky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Wow!! Melo, Gasol, Kobe in one team.....Lakers will look great with this deal no doubt.....but Melo needs to play better defense if he wants to impress Dr.Phil.

MrShrink
    MrShrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

on paper, this looks like it has a better shot at happening than the DEN/MIN/NYK deal. That one is way too convoluted and MIN is getting nowhere near enough atm for a (prob. high) 1st round pick. This would be a BLOCKBUSTER move in terms of impact for LA, but i'm sure DEN is gonna want more than just that busted beast. Of course, it all comes down to what Melo feels about the extension but it seems like it just may be too hard to resist, especially with the east on the rise, west falling, and a home out there.

My gut says... he will be a laker!!! congrats, deep!!!

JAFO
    JAFO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1683

I like it

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

No way it happens

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

How does that help their defense? Last time I checked, offense wasn't the Lakers problem..

kaijunn
    kaijunn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1361

i think it will happen. after Kobe retires, SOMEBODY has to be a superstar for the Lakers dynasty to continue.

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85308

That would be amazing, wonder if they could figure out a way to make him play defense.

ParlayJunkie
    ParlayJunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 544

I don't like Melo. Although, if he became a Laker than I would have to. IMO I wouldn't mind if the trade happened or it didn't.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Not sure LA is "big enough" for Kobe and Carmello. Not sure this is the answer, but it is better than doing nothing if LA can make it happen. The truth is LA has gotten slow,old, lazy and it has happened it just a years time. Not to mention with Barnes out LA's bench is nothing other than Odum of course but he is moreless a starter anyways since he plays starters minutes. What LA really needs is a perimiter threat on offense that can stretch the floor and a better bench. It hurts that LA has become one of the older/less athletic teams in the league.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Are you kidding me saying that LA is a "decent" team? I mean come one, they won b2b and I cant call them a decent team. Playoff is all that matters for basketball and i dont care if you're the 1number seed.

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

If LA was smart, they would keep Bynum.

Send Gasol and Artest to Denver for Billups and Melo.

Then you have Bynum, Melo, Odom, Kobe, and Billups as your starters.

Or the Lakers should just trade for Rip Ham

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

lakers need a guy like billups not carmelo who is a ball hogger like kobe.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Not sure LA is "big enough" for Kobe and Carmello. Not sure this is the answer, but it is better than doing nothing if LA can make it happen. The truth is LA has gotten slow,old, lazy and it has happened it just a years time. Not to mention with Barnes out LA's bench is nothing other than Odum of course but he is moreless a starter anyways since he plays starters minutes. What LA really needs is a perimiter threat on offense that can stretch the floor and a better bench. It hurts that LA has become one of the older/less athletic teams in the league.
    S. Brown, Blake, Odom, Barnes..............that's a more than adequate bench.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

The key to the Lakers winning rings is their collective length. Losing Bynum will hurt their chances this year, but will keep Staples Center full for years to come.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Bynum is playing like shit right now, this is a good move by the Lakers. I want to see if certain people (mainly haters who lashed out at the heat) will condemn this move similar to the move of Lebron and Bosh to Miami. Melo Bryant and Gasol - if that aint big three.... I bet Kobe been talking to Melo but not publicly trying to get him to LA

MrShrink

Quote Originally Posted by MendozaLine View Post
    If LA was smart, they would keep Bynum. Send Gasol and Artest to Denver for Billups and Melo. Then you have Bynum, Melo, Odom, Kobe, and Billups as your starters. Or the Lakers should just trade for Rip Ham
    ... WOW.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    S. Brown, Blake, Odom, Barnes..............that's a more than adequate bench.

S. Brown= D-leager that can jump out of the gym. game has improved but he doesn't scare anybody. Blake=Well, he is Steve Blake. Odom= Very good player, but is moreless a starter and counted on as a starter with minutes and production. Barnes= Was doing a nice job before injury.

I have a feeling some of you are not watching any "recent" basketball. I am not sure LA will be able to turn it on in the "playoffs" this year. The team is slower than shit in transistion D and can't create transistion offense. Lakers have 2 guys on the court Artest/Fisher that are non-factors offensively. That was alrightwith Artest because he was a lock down defender. That title is not warranted the same way anymore.

IF and IF is a big word. If LA gets out of the west I can't see them beating Miami/Boston for the chip.

lyon804

Then you have DENVER 2.0 After Bynum goes down with an injury.

Fixed it for you.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Sounds good. 2 ball hogs, and 1 ball.

Pau Gasol will probably hang himself, during halftime.

telespectatorul
    nbaadvice
    telespectatorul's Avatar Become A Pro!

Then you have Bynum, Melo, Odom, Kobe, and Billups as your starters.

yeah and keep bynum that is playing what? 30 games/season?

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by telespectatorul View Post
    yeah and keep bynum that is playing what? 30 games/season?
    Let's not forget that he did play in the finals, and was pretty effective for an injury player...

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lakers are wise to arm themselves for inevitable clash with the Heatles

Boston is small potatoes & Phil Jackson's clairvoyance is reminiscent of George Patton

kobefanatic
    kobefanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5086

i hope this trade doesn't happen, we will get killed on the inside especially against the C's

kobefanatic
    kobefanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5086

kobe, gasol and bynum should be the untouchables on this laker roster, and i don't think they need a blockbuster trade right now

B1AZE
    Dont hassle the hoff
    B1AZE's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trade bynum before his knee gives out again and nobody wants him. ask Portland what they think about ODEN now.

ThisGuy
    ThisGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 636

Xactly. They can transition Kobe to 2nd banana thru Carmelo's prime. Maybe Dwight will go there for discount somehow

telespectatorul
    nbaadvice
    telespectatorul's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradyd View Post
    Let's not forget that he did play in the finals, and was pretty effective for an injury player...
    indeed. but if you have a chance to bring melo for bynum who in my opinion is a GREAT player but injury prone...bring melo..after all, like someone said before..kebo will retire in a few years...someone HAS to be the next LA star.

Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

Well...the shock is starting to wear off and skepticism is working its way into my brain. I'm starting to think of key people we've given up over the years who have had lots of success outside of Staples/Great Western Forum.

Guys like:
    Vlade- I'm still lmao about the Hornets trading Vlade for Kobe, but he DID have a successful career as a Sacramento King.
    Caron Butler- Very nice career outside of Staples.
    Trevor Ariza- Very nice career so far outside of Staples.
    Even Kwame is finding usefulness on the woeful Bobcats.

If Bynum plays to his full potential, then we shouldn't trade...but the fact that he's always gimpy, has terrible footwork, and lacks motivation seems to tip the scales in favor of wanting to trade for Melo. It is still risky trading a potential all-star to a division rival though...

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!

carmelo, then you have howard rumour to lakers too.. wow, what team they want to build? bigger than heat

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

I hate Melo, but it'd be a good trade.

Then sign NEne as a free agent, move Gasol back to PF and ODom to the bench.

Pauulzcappin

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Sounds good. 2 ball hogs, and 1 ball. Pau Gasol will probably hang himself, during halftime.

MrShrink

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    I hate Melo, but it'd be a good trade.

Then sign NEne as a free agent, move Gasol back to PF and ODom to the bench.
    They'll have options beyond Nene, for that matter. Easier to find another big man to fill that role than to find another Melo, no?

Pauulzcappin

Obviously...

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

tired of teams that have to cheat to win. Im sure someone can beat any deal the lakers can give. Who cares about an injured bynum

12 Last