bobbyfk
    Las Vegas Local
    bobbyfk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Heat fired its season ticket sales staff after the team sold out of season tickets.

wow....talk about low..
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/23536069

Typically, if you do your job really, really well, you get a promotion. Or you get a raise. Or at the very least, you get to keep your job.

But that didn't happen in Miami as the Heat fired its season ticket sales staff after the team sold out of season tickets. Ouch.

In a statement, the team confirmed the terminations Friday afternoon, saying that with an "exhausted'' inventory of season-tickets "we no longer require a season ticket sales team to sell tickets.'' Stephen Weber, vice president of sales, delivered the news to about 30 ticket sales people Friday morning, according to the story from the Miami Herald. Currently, the team's waiting list has more than 6,000 names on it. It's pretty evident that at this point, the Heat can sell tickets without even trying.

"They let us go because there was really nothing left to do anymore,'' a fired staffer told the Herald.
    The statement also said: "While the decision to release part of our sales force was a difficult one, we greatly appreciate their contributions to the company. We have also hired a placement service to assist those individuals find new employment. Should any season tickets become available, they will be handled through our season ticket deposit program. We thank those employees for their time with the company and wish them success in their future endeavors.''

Obviously this seems like a major low blow. But as the staffer said, what were they really going to do? I wonder what places like Green Bay do with waiting lists that long. Still, firing a group of 30 after a job well done, has a funny taste to it. Or actually, is just downright mean.
    Evidently, the Heat aren't worried about retaining the new season ticket holders. I guess LeBron, Wade and Bosh are supposed to take care of that.

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

In what sense did they do a good job? Were they responsible for signing LeBron, Wade, and Bosh?

JEK
    JEK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Miami sucks as a sports town. Always has, always will. End of story.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Lots of better paying jobs in Miami.........no loss for them.

tripp
    tripp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why wouldn't they? They run a business, and there is absolutely no need for those people anymore. They weren't responsible for all the season tickets selling out, Lebron, Wade and Bosh are responsible.

The Heat actually hired a placement service to help find these people new employment, so I'd say kudos to the Heat organization for going above and beyond the business standards in that regard.

poker_dummy101
    poker_dummy101's Avatar Become A Pro!

i cant comment on this as i dont know what happens when other teams sell out tickets/never sell out tickets

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I can imagine these people were on cloud 9, actually thinking they had something to do with the increase in sales.

Cappinpicks
    Cappinpicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    so a city who had the best NFL team ever (72 dolphins) and next year's best NBA team ever sucks as a sports town?

poker_dummy101
    poker_dummy101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Cappinpicks View Post
    so a city who had the best NFL team ever (72 dolphins) and next year's best NBA team ever sucks as a sports town?
    come on.. everyone knows thats not true. undefeated is completely different from the best NFL team ever

Cappinpicks

Quote Originally Posted by poker_dummy101 View Post
    come on.. everyone knows thats not true. undefeated is completely different from the best NFL team ever
    Perfection is the best as far as I'm concerned.. any other team is inferior with a blemish on it's record.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    no doubt miami is the worst town to live in unless your into bar hopping and then u would fit right at home.will love it when there stars start to get hurt and then watching miami come up with all these excuses why they arent winning,even thought everyone else has to deal with injuries just like them.the way miami is talking .if they dont win a championship this year,the year will be a waste.so hey miami get use to it cause u wont win shiy especially with lebron who proves he cant win the bid game and when he does play and gets beat .he quits .so hey go take your lumps miami

tripp
    tripp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tough to say Dolphins are the clear cut best team ever in the NFL. Plenty of room for debate with some of the great 49ers teams, the great Bears team, and of course more recently the '08 Patroits..

Pats would be the best I've ever seen even if they didn't win the SB that year. I've never seen a team simply dominate their competition the way the Pats did all season. I think it's a little silly that people won't even consider them one of the best since they didn't win, but had Tyree not made that once in a lifetime catch after Eli barely avoided a sack most would be in agreement they are the best ever. So a once in a lifetime play happening in the SB means a team is all of a sudden so much worse they can't even be in that class when beforehand they'd be the consensus best team ever? Doesn't make sense to me

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

I would have fired them to all commissions should go to Lebron

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

And a city that had the best MLB team in the Marlins SUCKS BIG TIME as a sports town. Have you ever been to a Miami sporting event? I've been to them all, the Dolphins and Hurricanes can't fill their stadiums, the Heat had the worse attendance record just last year and they made the playoffs. The Marlins... give me a break.

Several years ago when Mark McGwire and Sosa were going after the homerun record, the Cards was playing a weekend series in Miami. I walked up to the ticket counter the day of and got tickets... wtf? Plus Miami fans are not very intelligent when it comes to sports. They don't have a clue when they should cheer, boo, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Lots of better paying jobs in Miami.........no loss for them.
    Say what??? Please show me those better paying jobs in Miami??? I study the job market across the country and Miami is one of the worst cities to find a job

dinaro7
    super player
    dinaro7's Avatar Become A Pro!

who cares

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

A quick google search on worst cities to find a job found this. I think Miami is worst than the 7th ranking, should be probably #3 or #4.

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/conte...b-january-2010

7. Miami, FL

Index Rank: 7th

Change From Last Month: +/-0

City Fact: Hit by the troubled housing market and other woes, January marks two straight months that Miami has landed in 7th place on the 10-worst list.

Miami doesn't have many large corporations nor any type of technical or energy sector. Average medical or transportation sector as well. You can find a job in Cuba easier than in Miami.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes.

no oen said they have never had good teams.

the city doesnt care nor support their teams... these arent miami heat fans buying tickets, its front runners who are going to see superstars

miami has about 15 true nba fans

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

I really don't care myself but when MJ and others come on board talking Miami (at least the big 3 players) down then it seems like a modern-day jam out. Cheers

sundin4prez
    sundin4prez's Avatar Become A Pro!

very low of heat ownership.... the least they could do is re assign all the workers to a diff. part of the company..

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are you supposed to keep paying your realtor after your house gets sold? Hired to do a job, job done, see ya.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Heat did right thing

You cannot pay them anymore

Good Job Miami

Manaconda
    Manaconda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1292

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    A quick google search on worst cities to find a job found this. I think Miami is worst than the 7th ranking, should be probably #3 or #4.

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/conte...b-january-2010

7. Miami, FL

Index Rank: 7th

Change From Last Month: +/-0

City Fact: Hit by the troubled housing market and other woes, January marks two straight months that Miami has landed in 7th place on the 10-worst list.

Miami doesn't have many large corporations nor any type of technical or energy sector. Average medical or transportation sector as well. You can find a job in Cuba easier than in Miami.

you dont move to miami to work....

nobody likes the home teams down here because nobodys from here, they move down here already fans of the NY, MA, PHI teams.. i could give a crap if the heat are good or not next year but ill definatley go see a game or two!

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11989

they didn't really have to do much to get those season tickets sold.

lebron and bosh coming to town and wade staying is what sold those tix.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8490

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Are you supposed to keep paying your realtor after your house gets sold? Hired to do a job, job done, see ya.
    agreed

the article says they hired a "placement service to assist those individuals find new employment"
    what else can they do?

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8490

Perfection is the best as far as I'm concerned.. any other team is inferior with a blemish on it's record.
    you can't argue with this.

best team ever hands down

blueghost
    blueghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

thx for nothing

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

If you sell out your season tickets that fast you are NOT doing a good job.

Any team could sell its season tickets out in a couple of days if they wanted - but that means they charged way too low of a price.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    If you sell out your season tickets that fast you are NOT doing a good job.

Any team could sell its season tickets out in a couple of days if they wanted - but that means they charged way too low of a price.
    Yeah they probably should have foreseen the whole Lebron thing.

N.O.S.
    N.O.S.'s Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    yes.

miami has about 15 true nba fans

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

What were they suppose to do

poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Why aren't season ticket prices jacked up high enough so that there doesn't need to be waiting lists to begin with?

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

cutthroat world people, I have been betting like I need to get a 9 to 5 this baseball season has been worse ever for me but 9 to 5's are not stable in this society and have not been for last 3 to 4 years atleast.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

That was a rotten thing to do, they should have looked for another sdpot for them or something.

Cappinpicks

the attendance is bad but it will be sold out just about every game this coming season for NBA and dolphin games always have a fair amount of people there. Marlins games should be packed when the new stadium is finished

DaProfessor23
    DaProfessor23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

i have the headline for first week of NBA Season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIAMI HEAT FIRE HEAD COACH BECAUSE THERE IS NO NEED FOR A COACH WITH THAT MUCH TALENT !

SMH at Miami Heat

123 Last